Florida Sunshine???

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I found this little jewel in the desert of the Eastern Highlands of New Mexico with my ol' trusty Bounty Hunter. Found it about 6 inches deep, where an old rock house once stood. It was in pretty rough shape when I first unearthed it This is a picture of it after a good cleanup with a glass bead blaster. Looks like a 1932 New Mexico Trailer Tag. Still with us here after 82 long years!! The note was that the motto for New Mexico was the SUNSHINE STATE several years before Florida decided that wasn't right! That might be an interesting story in itself!!LOL!! After a little research I found that the color scheme was white letters and an evergreen background. I think I will attempt to restore it! What ya think?
Surely Florida didn't swipe a state motto!!?? Maybe they just borrowed it! LOL!! The Kid New Mex 002.JPG New Mex 001.JPG

Upvote 4

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!..Its wild because about 2 weeks ago, i was looking into buying this same tag at a thrift shop. In this shape they were asking 45 bucks

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. As you can see by my avatar, I am an old car kinda guy. We routinely restore old plates for our cars. That plate is especially nice because it is a 1932, the year Ford made their first V8... now known as a Duece. Any hot rodder from New Mexico (w/ a Duece) would love to have that tag. Restored, the tag would be worth around $150.00. If you want to see some restored examples, check out Pinhead Lounge Pinstriping Archive - Dedicated to the Preservation of the Art of Kustom and Traditional Pinstriping.

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't this hobby (or sport) crazy anyway?? Sure wish it wasn't a trailer tag it might be worth something to some ol' boy with a hot rod!! Hey ! How are things down in "COW TOWN" ??? I love that country!! Have girlfriends in Grapevine, grand kids that play football in Granbury,a friend that runs a Honky Tonk in the Stock Yards and I was born in Graham.Can't beat that combination!!LOL! Thanks for the comeback! Always good to hear somebody else is having a blast doing this kind of craziness! You have an outstanding year hunting in those sticks and best of luck to ya!!!! The Kid

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is outstanding info Tom!! Thanks a million for the links! I promise you I will be all over those. My New Mexico tag is a trailer tag ! That most likely down grades the value a little. I probably won't sell it too soon but I am in the hunt for a new machine ,so I might restore this little dude and see if I can get a discount on a new MD. FYI I found a 1907 Texas plate a couple of years ago that are made of steel and porcelain. Wild man! I about lost my teeth when I found that one! Thanks again and I hope you don't find anything but gold hub caps for those old hot rods of yours!! The very best to ya! The KId

ps. I will post this in the new Mexico Sub Forum just to see if any hot rodder is interested!! Thanks again

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Great finds Kid! I have a plate for my birthday state and one for the wife's birthday and state. Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK VPNavy you have me on a mission now. Having a birthday plate sounds like something I have to do now!! I;m on the hunt!! FYI I have a son who did time at naval air stations in TENN.& WASH. Did a tour on The Nimitz & Carl Vincent.Always good to visit with those who have served. Thank you for that service and I hope all the treasures you find this year are pure gold! :icon_thumright:The Kid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread