New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started a new yard, spent two hours there and didn't get through a quarter of it yet. Another beautiful detailed Mercury Dime (1939) Original family at this house, the woman told me this morning the history on the property along that there was a relative that dug all the privies, she didn't seem to think I was going to find anything because of that. I asked if he had detected the property but she thinks he just did the back looking for the privies. He could have cherry picked it, but he missed one Merc and eleven wheats. Dates on the wheats were, 57, 57, 36, 17, 40, 44, 37, 20, 45, 20, and 19. Enjoy the pix, HH and thanks for looking.
Brad

Upvote 9

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Congrats on being a coin licker......after wiping off a coin, I always lick a coin to show what I really have.....ALWAYS!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on being a coin licker......after wiping off a coin, I always lick a coin to show what I really have.....ALWAYS!

I showed the lady before I left, you should have seen her face when I licked that coin to get a date after she asked how old it was, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Merc and wheaties. Congrats on a good day!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc and wheats!
I'm surprised she didn't spray your tongue with Lysol! Lol! It just adds to the TH'ing mystic!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc and wheaties. Congrats on a good day!
Thanks

That's a nice volume of good finds for just 2 hours TH!! More to come from that yard. HH, Q.
I'm waiting on her son who is my age (older) to get back to me. He still lives with his mom and she wanted me to touch base and make sure he is ok with me being there and doing what I'm doing. Should be ok, I'll be surprised if he has a problem. I'm glad I showed her my finds, I like to be up front with everyone.

Nice merc, wheats too..
Thanks

Nice Merc and wheats!
I'm surprised she didn't spray your tongue with Lysol! Lol! It just adds to the TH'ing mystic!
She is a friend of the family, she told me this morning about how my grandfather used to buy eggs from them, my grandfather shipped eggs from local farmers to NY. That was how he got his start, she was friends with my recently past mother. I'm surprised she didn't hit me for licking that coin, ha lol

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with the son, I'm good to go, I'll be there first thing in the morning.

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, wishing you the best of luck in the morning.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day of hunting. Hope you do as well or better tomorrow!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of good finds there Treble! Crisp looking Merc too! Def a quality hunt. Congrats.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Did you ask the son if he hunted it? It seems I've hunted hundreds of yards that produce finds like yours....many wheats and only one/two silvers. In many of these yards some owners say it's never been hunted, but I'm sure all of them can't know that for sure. So I rely on clues: was the silver hidden in any way? Was it on edge and gave a weak signal, was it next to a sidewalk or under a bush and easily missed, was it in the hole with iron and missed, did it disguise itself like a wheaty, was it shallow and hiding with clad? If some of the answers to these questions are yes, then there's a good chance it's been hunted before. On the other hand, some yards simply don't produce because owners were careful with coins, or there just wasn't that much traffic over the years. The good news is you still have a long way to go on that property, so good luck finding that next silver!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Great finds Treble! Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask the son if he hunted it? It seems I've hunted hundreds of yards that produce finds like yours....many wheats and only one/two silvers. In many of these yards some owners say it's never been hunted, but I'm sure all of them can't know that for sure. So I rely on clues: was the silver hidden in any way? Was it on edge and gave a weak signal, was it next to a sidewalk or under a bush and easily missed, was it in the hole with iron and missed, did it disguise itself like a wheaty, was it shallow and hiding with clad? If some of the answers to these questions are yes, then there's a good chance it's been hunted before. On the other hand, some yards simply don't produce because owners were careful with coins, or there just wasn't that much traffic over the years. The good news is you still have a long way to go on that property, so good luck finding that next silver!
All the wheats and the merc were all deep scattered in the front yard. I usually have good luck relatively close to the pathway from front door to mailbox in 90 % of my yard hunts. None of the kids ever metal detected, if it wasn't for the uncle being there with a machine years ago I would say I have a virgin. I believe he was a bottle hunting purist and didn't bother with the yard, he was too busy digging the privies, there were always more then one privy at old house sites. They had to move them and dig new pits from time to time. I have hopes of my first seated at this site. There is still the clothesline, I will talk with the mother about where that was located and that will be where I start this morning.

Thanks for everyone's comments and looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread