3 hours on the fields in Bavaria (updated with pics)

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
I had not much time last week for MDing, rather I had absolutely no time, and waited till friday to check some interesting spots.
First trip was to the place of army training before WW1. And I found only military stuff - all the buttons, couple of belt hooks, part of buckle plus coins from the late 1800s, which support a dating of the activity on the field. The most interesting is the second from the right in the second row piece of something :). It is a badge of mobile voluntary unit in Bamberg (city not far from me) - predecessor of regular German army. In 1919 many of such armored groups were organized to bigger units.

2007-03-16.jpg

Before I have already found 3 of such badges, so you can see how it looks after some manipulations with vice.

bamberg_mobile_1.jpg

And this is another from those 3 which has undergone some manipulations with chemicals and ultrasound.

bamberg_mobile_2.jpg

Next day was nice - I was walking between the spots I digged before, and again I got lots of signals and some finds. Looks like some spots grow new finds.

2007-03-17.jpg

This buckle is not dated yet, but preliminary I could propose that it is older tan 18 century.

buckle_02.jpg

Nice small medal with the following words " We want to be the only nation of brothers.

medal_brudern.jpg

Pewter button with the most common drawing (flowers).

button_flower_7.jpg

The oldest coin I found this day was silver kreuzer of Bavaria dated 17??.

1kr17xx_bayern.jpg

Among coppers these two are more or less preserved:

1pf1824_bayern.jpg

And another one

1pf1835_bayern.jpg

Today it starte raining and it seems to be a long story.

HH
Sand

Upvote 0

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
Re: 3 hours on the fields in Bavaria

Hello Sand
I'm in Bamberg, nice finds. I found the last coin you had posted. I really need to try a farmers field. Maybe we can meet one day for a hunt. Its raining here too >:(
HH
:o

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

Nice restoration.

Keep 'em coming!

Ridley

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Sand! HH, Mike

OP
OP
Sand

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used

88irocarmy said:
Maybe we can meet one day for a hunt.

It would be nice to find some time for that, when the becomes better. Today is snowing already :(

sonny0065 said:
Are there many MDers over there? HH Sonny

I think so, I know 5 of them in my small city. Plus Bavaria Mike as a king of MDing in our region LOL

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi sand,Always amazing finds and pics Congrats. Got to say Mike, and digfinds and yourself really do put on a grand show of relics.Really makes the rest of us want to go to Germany and the U.K :o :o :o

tinpan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice work! I'm dying to know how one cleans finds with ultrasound, and which chemicals you used. Does the technique work for copper, brass, and iron as well?

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Sand

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used

BuckleBoy said:
Nice work! I'm dying to know how one cleans finds with ultrasound, and which chemicals you used. Does the technique work for copper, brass, and iron as well?

Regards,

Buckleboy

This radical technique is the only one I found to be effective when the find is covered by red patina - it is Cu2O. And as you can see from my posts, most of my copper, brass and Cu-Ni finds are the case. This method is good only for crude (or clumsy?) objects, not at all for coins...

Firstly, I put a find in the weak sulphuric acid - almost nothing happens, only few bubbles. Then I put a solution in the ultrasound bath for 1-2 minutes, and that red oxides go away in a moment.After that the find looks very ugly, because corrosion is not homogeneous. So I have to use sandpaper for final polishing - I know that it is bad but it works with not delicate objects.
Possible problem with some finds - sometimes very thin layer of red metallic Cu is precipitating on the surface - if you have a relief on the find then it is not easy to make it away.
After polishing finds look not old rather very new so I make patina on them by different methods. For example I made this brass thimble gold-looking by hydrogen peroxid which oxidizes thin surface layer of Cu to CuO.

thimble_1.jpg

Here are some copper, brass and copper-nickel finds cleaned this weekend, not all are finished - som still have red copper areas which should be removed

cleaned1.jpg

Sand

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the information! I am sending you a private message.

Every Good Wish,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread