Anybody ever dried their nickel to hot.......?

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Got out for a bit yesterday in a local park....didn't find a lot except for some clad, junk and the usual pulltabs....etc. I did however find my first Indian head nickel.....but after washing it up, I think I might have used to much heat to dry it as it has shrunk.....lol. I have it pictured with a 22 short round for size comparison.....any ideas on how to get it back to size?......Ok, alright, already........ya caught me.....from the looks on the back of the said shrunk nickel it appears as if it might have been attached to something, maybe an earing, ring or something like that. Nothing like finding your first and having to adjust your bifocals to see it...........HH all, gregd573

Attachments

• indian head nickel 001.jpg
    indian head nickel 001.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 618
  • indian head nickel 002.jpg
    indian head nickel 002.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 620
  • indian head nickel 003.jpg
    indian head nickel 003.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 611
  • indian head nickel 004.jpg
    indian head nickel 004.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Love it! You found something that I would have probably missed! Here of late I have not been "finding" the unfindable finds.
Im going to post on that later, but congrats on the mini nickel!

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
gregd573 said:
from the looks on the back of the said shrunk nickel it appears as if it might have been attached to something, maybe an earing, ring or something like that.

Could the nickel have been shot with a bb gun or small caliber round like a .22 to make that indentation? When we were kids we used to use small coins for targets.

OP
OP
gregd573

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Ryan1979....I posted some new pictures to show a more accurate size, just wanted you to see it better, cause....if you were shooting coins this size and hitting them....then I want some lessons....lol. thanks for looking, HH guy.......gregd573

Trash digger......I know what ya mean........inflation is just shrinking the dollar away.....thanks for looking....HH gregd573

Thanks Maryland searcher.....they all seem to be luck when they are that small and I forgot to tell all how long I searched the dirt pile to find it.....looks like a good investment would be a pinpointer at this time....HH gregd573

Thanks for looking all.....have a wonderful day and HH......gregd573

Attachments

• indian head nickel 005.jpg
    indian head nickel 005.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 468
  • indian head nickel 006.jpg
    indian head nickel 006.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 467

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate to be a downer, but that doesn't look quite real. The date is sticking out of the coin, and it's really small. It may have been a piece of jewelry at one point, but there is still a chance that it's real.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like INFLATION is back!!!
LOL

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of that kids song....
"One little , two little , three little Indians. Four little , five little , six little Indians............." Well, you know the tune.
What a cool find.
-MM-

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey Gregd,
I could have come from a keychain. Years ago, I was part of a wedding party, and the
groomsmans gifts were keychains with a full set of these little coins mounted in it. Half
dollar to cent arranged in an up & down configuration. I wonder what ever happened to
that keychain??
Have to compliment you on finding such a little coin. If one of those small gold pieces is
in the ground in front of you, you will no doubt find it! Fun stuff!!
HH slabman

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah yes. The infrequently seen "Hobbit Nickel", one of the government's failed attempts at small change. The final outcome was the Susan B. Anthony quarter sized dollar and it's decendants.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread