Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Yesterday I met a friend from here for the first time after we discovered that we hunt the same sites. He is Wyoming Valley Relics. We really hit it off and talked like 2 old women for hours, lol. We decided to do a hunt today and met up at a cornfield that gave me my very first musket ball. WVR ( he is a Dave also ) got there before me after looking the site over last night on some old maps. He met me with his first discovery - a nice Merc. We hunted around where an old school once stood and dug some iron targets, then decided to move out into the field where the silver had been. We both dug fairly modern buckles and I got a nice green wheat. On my next good target I dug a large crotal. I was pretty happy with it even though it had a chunk missing from probably a plow. I discovered later after cleaning it still had the clinker ( or whatever it is called ) packed inside with the mud. I dug a couple more wheats, the little gilded metal box and found the pretty pink glass bottleneck on top of the ground. Dave was VERY excited to dig his very first crotal, a small little one with patent date on it and once he cleaned it, he discovered a fragment of cloth or thread on it. We aren't sure how it was attached. Looking for help from you experts please! Dave dug an old ball that he thought was a buck and ball but I think is a pistol ball. He doesn't have scale or calipers yet so I will weigh and measure it for him soon and update this thread. After cleaning his bell, he discovered it still rings and sounds like Christmas!
yja6uvus.jpg

8aje2u7a.jpg

8a8edesa.jpg

9u2emuhy.jpg

a6yvedy5.jpg

ymedysav.jpg

nudutu4u.jpg

vagy6era.jpg

Thanks for looking. We enjoyed our first hunt together!

Last edited:
Upvote 14

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree very much with you, Aqua. We were not in any competition whatsoever. I actually was just as happy to see his great finds as he was himself. I was especially happy to see him dig that crotal bell after he said he had never dug one.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that was a great hunt Dave! :occasion14:
Loved the video of Dave listening to his crotal bell find!

Dave

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Nice Merc and bells! I appreciate the sound effects, I haven't found a crotal bell yet and have no idea what they sound like.
You two get my vote video production- short sweet and to the point! Now if you could just do something about with TV content,the world would be a better place!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good company, good weather, good finds. Don't get much better. :)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that site pic of the cornfield. There's nothing like hunting a cornfield and turning up old relics. Just a great feeling. :headbang:

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
The bottle neck is flint Glass it had a high level of magnese in the glass
that caused sunlight to turn it that color. They stopped making around 1900
looks like it was tooled top whisky or med...

Hello LIM,

Manganese Dioxide is a decolorizing agent that has been employed by glassmakers since as early as the 2nd Century BC. I strongly doubt that that top is flint glass, unless you are using "flint" to mean colorless.

The use of Manganese Dioxide was stopped just before the First World War, as the sources, at that time, were in Europe. Subsequently Selenium became the principal decolorizing agent.

See here: Solarized Glass | Corning Museum of Glass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread