🥇 BANNER HOW did this survive 150 years in a Virginia Trench??!?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought these were all disolved to dust by now, but popped this one out of a Virginia Trench today Three ringer with full, intact pigskin powder bag. Still full of powder. Clean sand must've helped.

IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4141.JPG

Then a couple of feet away, I pull out a Maryland Cross Kepi pin! Digging buddy told me these were pretty rare. I can't find a dug one on the web. Anybody know just HOW rare? And were these worn by Union Maryland, or Confederate Maryland or both? Solder points for two attachment pins are present on the back.

IMG_4148.JPG IMG_4147.JPG

10 or 12 bullets and a couple more bullets-in-wood rounded out the day.

IMG_4144.JPG IMG_4145.JPG IMG_4146.jpg

I haven't posted in WEEKS because I wasn't finding anything worth sharing. But I'm stinkin' HAPPY today!

Upvote 54

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
amazing finds great to find stuff from our countrys history and in such great shape congrats on banner

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find. Congratulations on the banner. Question, What will you do to the cartridge to keep it from decaying now that it's in an environment where oxygen can get to it? It sure would be a shame to loose it now.

A great question Bosn! My dad found one in the 1960s. He did NOTHING to it. It was already torn, where mine is intact. It is SUPER-fragile, but it has survived 50 years in the "air." I considered a leather preservative, since it's pigskin, I believe. But wasn't sure what preservative might do to it . . . plus afraid I'd break it rubbing the neatsfoot oil (or whatever) in. I opted to dip the casing only (Not the lead) in polyurethane. Both are pictured below. Untreated one is lighter in color. I'll let you know how it holds up in 15 or 20 years!

IMG_4292.JPG IMG_4293.JPG

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite an accomplishment finding complete rounds of ammo like that and recovering them undamaged as you did!Kudos to ya and HH....

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is most unusual! Congratulations on a great hunt and find and for making the BANNER! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still surprised the pin did not receive Banner - it is a rare find, 10Xs more than the bullet. I see bullets with the powder/skin dug about once or twice a year, which is rare. I have only see one of those dug pins ever - until now.

The pin did receive Banner. It's up there with this post. If this post made banner first, then I'm sure the mods were reluctant to put a second banner up just because the OP decided to list items separately.

Yes, the pin is the find of a lifetime.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great question Bosn! My dad found one in the 1960s. He did NOTHING to it. It was already torn, where mine is intact. It is SUPER-fragile, but it has survived 50 years in the "air." I considered a leather preservative, since it's pigskin, I believe. But wasn't sure what preservative might do to it . . . plus afraid I'd break it rubbing the neatsfoot oil (or whatever) in. I opted to dip the casing only (Not the lead) in polyurethane. Both are pictured below. Untreated one is lighter in color. I'll let you know how it holds up in 15 or 20 years!

View attachment 986157 View attachment 986158

My mentor has dug a precious few of those in Virginia since the late 60s when he started digging. He coated them with epoxy and they have held up fine for three decades. I think you're on the right track.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find. Donate to a museum.

View attachment 980840 View attachment 980841

Then a couple of feet away, I pull out a Maryland Cross Kepi pin! Digging buddy told me these were pretty rare. I can't find a dug one on the web. Anybody know just HOW rare? And were these worn by Union Maryland, or Confederate Maryland or both? Solder points for two attachment pins are present on the back.

View attachment 980842 View attachment 980843

10 or 12 bullets and a couple more bullets-in-wood rounded out the day.

View attachment 980844 View attachment 980845 View attachment 980846

I haven't posted in WEEKS because I wasn't finding anything worth sharing. But I'm stinkin' HAPPY today![/QUOTE]

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Just a suggestion, but find or have built a small airtight box of some kind for it, with perhaps a lexan pane so you can see in it, and fill the box with nitrogen gas. It's inert, and will prevent or at least limit any further deterioration.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a suggestion, but find or have built a small airtight box of some kind for it, with perhaps a lexan pane so you can see in it, and fill the box with nitrogen gas. It's inert, and will prevent or at least limit any further deterioration.

Holy cow!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Hey, given how likely it is that you (or anyone else for that matter) will ever find another example like yours, you gotta take care of it. Exposure to oxygen and all the pollens and bacteria it can carry around are the biggest threats to your find, and with a nitrogen enclosure you wouldn't have to use epoxy or anything else to coat it with to protect it.

If you'd like I'd be more than happy to take care of it for you. :laughing7:

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, given how likely it is that you (or anyone else for that matter) will ever find another example like yours, you gotta take care of it. Exposure to oxygen and all the pollens and bacteria it can carry around are the biggest threats to your find, and with a nitrogen enclosure you wouldn't have to use epoxy or anything else to coat it with to protect it.

If you'd like I'd be more than happy to take care of it for you. :laughing7:

Mirage - thank you for your generous offer. You are TOO KIND!!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Confederate Maryland Cross pin is an awesome find. Any museum would love to have that.

Portadrillmini

May 8, 2013
Blairsville, Ga 30512
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eureka Gold - 15" RockCrusher- PORTADRILLMINI Gold Driller Auger sampler Unit -Gold Lab Clean Gold Concentrator-5" Dredge-Keen A52 Sluice- BlueBowl Cons clean-up - Microwave Gold Kiln
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions