Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying that the 1777 coin is counterfeit ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cuff-button says Tallio, which means Tally-Ho which derived from British Fox Hunting, I believe the spelling or words just got lost (mixed up) along the years. Always a nice find cuff-buttons :thumbsup:

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cuff-button says Tallio, which means Tally-Ho which derived from British Fox Hunting, I believe the spelling or words just got lost (mixed up) along the years. Always a nice find cuff-buttons :thumbsup:

SS
Thanks for the info SS!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 1771 to me.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds sscindercoop. Even your scrap pile looks good. HH C9

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
73072CVS

1773 GEO-III 8.4. AEF NEAT SWAPING OF T & I. DIE CRK REV K3 AND CHIPS. EX B/M AUCTION 3/2003 LOT 176 W/TICKET, EARLIER PART OF GARRETT PART IV LOT 2241. RARE DATE FOR BRANCH OF GT FAMILY-PUFFY HEAD. $265.00

British George-III

Attachments

• 73072CVS.jpg
    73072CVS.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
73072CVS

1773 GEO-III 8.4. AEF NEAT SWAPING OF T & I. DIE CRK REV K3 AND CHIPS. EX B/M AUCTION 3/2003 LOT 176 W/TICKET, EARLIER PART OF GARRETT PART IV LOT 2241. RARE DATE FOR BRANCH OF GT FAMILY-PUFFY HEAD. $265.00

British George-III
WoW Amazing id IP!!!!! Thanks, found at the same site I got the mule coin. I wish it showed the composition of the coin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW Amazing id IP!!!!! Thanks, found at the same site I got the mule coin. I wish it showed the composition of the coin

I seen it many times before so I knew it was common and figured it would be on that site, ....and I'd be able to pick it out clicking through them quickly. In hind sight it would have been much easier matching up the reverse with that square letter N, but doesn't matter now.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awsome link IP!

I'm still researching my 1771 and learning in the process. I'm told an indicator on whether it is a contemporary counterfeit is the weight of the coin. I'm still trying to determine what the difference is between the term Regal and Non Regal terminology.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cuff-button says Tallio, which means Tally-Ho which derived from British Fox Hunting, I believe the spelling or words just got lost (mixed up) along the years.

Along those lines, while doing genealogy, I learned someone went to jail in the early 1800s for "buggering a mare". Yep, he was screwing a horse. "Buggering" comes from the French "bougere" which means "to f**k". So, "buggering" is not really a recent word, which I also found interesting.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome link IP!

I'm still researching my 1771 and learning in the process. I'm told an indicator on whether it is a contemporary counterfeit is the weight of the coin. I'm still trying to determine what the difference is between the term Regal and Non Regal terminology.

Counterfeits are lighter in general, but that really has nothing to do with whether a coin is counterfeit.... because regardless of weight, it either is, or it isn't. If it is, it means it was cast by a counterfeiter using a mold, or struck with counterfeit dies. Genuine coins are of course struck with genuine dies. Both a counterfeit coin and a genuine one can weigh the same so that wouldn't really tell you anything. There's some counterfeits that weigh much more than genuine ones, so you really can't use that as a rule. So the bottom line it's how they're made and not what they weigh.

Regal = Genuine
Non Regal = Counterfeit

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Counterfeits are lighter in general, but that really has nothing to do with whether a coin is counterfeit.... because regardless of weight, it either is, or it isn't. If it is, it means it was cast by a counterfeiter using a mold, or struck with counterfeit dies. Genuine coins are of course struck with genuine dies. Both a counterfeit coin and a genuine one can weigh the same so that wouldn't really tell you anything. There's some counterfeits that weigh much more than genuine ones, so you really can't use that as a rule. So the bottom line it's how they're made and not what they weigh.

Regal = Genuine
Non Regal = Counterfeit

Thanks IP.

I would suppose that if the coin did not weigh the proper amount that would help determine if it was counterfeit/non regal.

Those that were in the proper weight would still have to be evaluated to determine if they were Regal or Non Regal. I suppose taking it to a coin authority would be the next step?

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins and a great button

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP.

I would suppose that if the coin did not weigh the proper amount that would help determine if it was counterfeit/non regal.

Those that were in the proper weight would still have to be evaluated to determine if they were Regal or Non Regal. I suppose taking it to a coin authority would be the next step?

Yes, the weight is a good indicator to start, but just the starting point. There's been cases of coins turning up, even non dug ones and in a high grade, and even the experts can't decide which it is. I know of this happening to some french coins. Usually yes, the people who know them can tell the difference, but you have to keep in mind the rougher the condition the tougher it might be, because they have to be able to see the detail and the differences from the genuine ones. Many George coppers are so close most people don't know it's ctft, and even the ones that know, don't care. It's just a George copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread