Yesterdays Hunt - Military button trifecta - spans three wars!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Hunt - Military button trifecta - spans three wars!

Bill D and I were able to get out yesterday for a hunt. We waited for the rain to let up and then headed on out.

First we went to a site that has been treating me well as of late and it did not disappoint. I immediately began digging a button here and there along with other odds and ends. After a few buttons and other tid bits, I decided to make my way back towards the truck and try a different site. I decided to check the other side of this hedgerow and dug three buttons - two happened to be military.

The 1808 Regiment of Rifles button is a nice one. I have dug a few of these over the years, but the foliate script letters are always nice to see.

The 1830's Navy button popped out a short time later. Both were recovered in the ONLY low and wet area of the property - though with patience and resolve (by not trying to clean them in the field) they turned out OK once back home.

The best part about this first site is that I secured permission from another property owner for an adjacent parcel that I feel confident will be good - the downside - it is already planted. I will have to wait for next year.

We then decided to head to the site that Bill recently found some civil war military buttons at. While we are unsure if this is a camp or not - the signs do at times point to it. Others point to a house site. Bill's first find was a killer button (I will let him share with you). I could not get my loop over a button, though I did dig several other nice pieces - including the .69 ball. Finally towards the end of the day a nice Virginia Staff Officers button showed up. It is a little flattened, but I will take it.

My final take for the day was 10 buttons - three of which were military.

The last picture is a what is it. I dug this back at the first site - strictly colonial items have come from here. Any thoughts?

HH - perhaps we might get one more trip out before everything is planted.

Attachments

• SC1.JPG
    SC1.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SC2.JPG
    SC2.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 108
  • SC3.JPG
    SC3.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 123
  • SC4.JPG
    SC4.JPG
    608 KB · Views: 113
  • SC5.JPG
    SC5.JPG
    513.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SC6.JPG
    SC6.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 93
  • SC7.JPG
    SC7.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 94
  • SC8.JPG
    SC8.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 92
  • SC9.JPG
    SC9.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 89
  • SC10.JPG
    SC10.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 100
  • SC11.JPG
    SC11.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 6

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet day indeed...amazing the stuff you guys pull outta the ground on a regular basis.

Love the buttons ....congrats !!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet day indeed...amazing the stuff you guys pull outta the ground on a regular basis.

Love the buttons ....congrats !!!

Thanks man - we have fun and put in plenty of work to find the sites. Believe it or not the R.R. button is probably the rarest item I found this season.

Dan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet VA 3-piece staff, and a nice RR. That's a great early button to dig.

I am also digging the nice engraved trigger guard piece.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet VA 3-piece staff, and a nice RR. That's a great early button to dig.

I am also digging the nice engraved trigger guard piece.

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks man - the trigger guard piece was a nice surprise - pretty sure it is off a Brown Bess - either way - still would be great to have it complete.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great assortment of military buttons Dan, and it was fun to watch you dig each of them. I'm especially fond of the RR as I don't recall ever digging one myself. That and the navy were definitely bonus buttons as we weren't expecting that field to even be available. That site is really diverse, and I think we're a long ways from discovering all its secrets. But unfortunately that will have to wait until the fall.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great assortment of military buttons Dan, and it was fun to watch you dig each of them. I'm especially fond of the RR as I don't recall ever digging one myself. That and the navy were definitely bonus buttons as we weren't expecting that field to even be available. That site is really diverse, and I think we're a long ways from discovering all its secrets. But unfortunately that will have to wait until the fall.

Thanks man - still loved watching that coat button you dug roll out. That is a nice one. The RR buttons I have dug prior were the script R.R. buttons which are more common that the foliate RR (this one). Dad and I have dug about 7 or 8 of the script R.R.s, this is the first one we have dug - the only one more rare is the foliate RA (Regiment Artillery). I am happy with it and that it turned out enough to determine what it is.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Great finds indeed, the 3 military buttons are real cool. I actually also like the wooden stool ( or what ever it is) that you put the finds on to take the pictures. It makes the finds even look more at home. CONGRATS on a great hunt. Hope you can get out for at least one more dig:thumbsup:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds indeed, the 3 military buttons are real cool. I actually also like the wooden stool ( or what ever it is) that you put the finds on to take the pictures. It makes the finds even look more at home. CONGRATS on a great hunt. Hope you can get out for at least one more dig:thumbsup:

Thanks man - the stool is actually one my wife picked up from an antique store years ago. It is rustic and also potentially as old as some of the items that I put on it.

Best

Dan

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Awesome recoveries Dan. I really like the Navy. That site turned out to be pretty interesting.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries Dan. I really like the Navy. That site turned out to be pretty interesting.

Evan - this site has continued to impress the both of us. On the initial trip that I secured permission, we walked aimlessly for close to an hour, checking three areas with no luck only to hit a small site at the end of the first day that ended up not being so small. Since that trip we have dug 14 or 15 spanish silver coins and another 10 or so copper coins along with various pits and other interesting stuff. We both have commented as of late that this is quickly becoming one of our favorite and better sites in the last couple of years. I hope it only gets better next fall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions