Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Easter !!!!!
Got up early and headed out to recon a street tear up. Arrived in the area and they are just getting started with it. No more then 10 minutes into the hunt I have someone tell not to do it. Blah Blah Blah...... Half hour later another person comes out and tell me not to be doing it, that " IT'S CREEPY". He said he was calling the POLICE. I said all they will do is take my name , check me out and tell me to have fun and good luck. WELL THAT'S WHAT HAPPEN.

So this is TRIP # 1 to the street tear up. I will update it every time I go there....

I did manage to squeak out a 1942 WLH and a few wheats.
Thanks for looking and HH......... Bob.
Street Tear up 2014 7.jpg Street Tear up 2014 6.jpg street tear up 2014 008.JPG street tear up 2014 010.JPG Street Tear up 2014 2.jpg Street Tear up 2014 3.jpg Street Tear up 2014 4.jpg

Upvote 28

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" IT'S CREEPY" ? LOL nice Half

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing creepy about that wlh! Some ppl are so ignorant, I mean really wtf wrong were u causing? A street is public property

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't stand people like that! nice coin find!!

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's to the point I will not say anything and tell them to do what they have to.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver save !

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ooooh spooky cool silver! Razz berries to people who think metal detecting a removed sidewalk is creepy.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful silver half! Nice save! Who knows when that would have seen daylight again!
Seriously, is it creepy now to have fun! Lol! Or maybe he buried "something" there years ago he doesn't want dug up
just yet!
Sometimes when someone starts giving you trouble for no reason..."they" have something to hide.

Some people yelled at me for detecting our sidewalk tear out years ago, I kept right on MD'ing- I had the blessings of the construction manager! Hehehe!

Last edited:

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Wow. What's crazy is how people in different cities view street construction and differences of opinion of metal detecting depending upon where you are at.

I have done PLENTY of detecting during street construction over the past 10 years.

90% of the time...I've experienced ZERO problems.

For instance, in my hometown, small town w/Population 3,000 about an hour north of Detroit...I was detecting a few streets at NIGHT even. I had to go at night because in the summer these crews didn't stop working until about 8pm. They were going to haul away all of the old black dirt too!!!

I detected that street from 8pm until 5am...2 nights in a row. Found over 100 coins total...over 25 from the 1800's. And this was 1 street for 1 city block. Very small window of opportunity. I didn't even know what I was finding...thank god for my probe on my Minelab. Once I had the metal in my hand...I just shoved it in my pouch and sorted it out when I got home.

Had ZERO problems...And that was probably EXTREMELY CREEPY...Hell, I was creeped out and I was packing a .45...hehe.

DH24

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father says that people get jealous seeing someone hunting for treasure. I don't believe him, but with stories like that, I tend to agree. A lot of times, people will stop and ask me if I have permission, etc., then they start talking about how interesting metal detecting is and they wish they could do it. What I learn is that a lot of people would like to, but they either don't know anything about detecting, and/or won't put the time into doing it.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Street tear outs are some of the best detecting... :headbang: Good for you for not letting people step on our toes !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Deerhunter24, Flint's not THAT bad! Try playing the Old Miami in Detroit on a January night. :headbang:

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Now, my worst experience with street construction...

I'm in Rochester, MI a few summers ago and they are tearing up the streets. Very wealthy neighborhood.

Anyway, they start ripping up the sidewalks. It was an all summer project. Truth be told, they hadn't even ripped up the sidewalks yet...just the curbs at the corners and the part of sidewalks closest to the road. Very minimal area to detect.

I went there with 2 detecting buddies...one was a seasoned veteran, the other was more of a newbie.

Anyway, we went on a very nasty, chilly, rainy, Sunday, figuring not a lot of people would be out. We were right. Barely anyone out on the streets. I hadn't found one coin in the first 30 minutes...then BAM...1860 Indianhead Penny. Next Target...BAM...1843 Large Cent. My newbie partner also dug consecutive 1890's Indianheads...which were his first 2 coins from the 1800's. The veteran had dug 6 coins, all pre-1900. And thats when the Cops rolled up.

Cop asked if I found anything, I said not much, just started. He said he was getting calls from city hall and that we were breaking the law and needed to leave. I asked him what laws we were breaking...he said..."Ya know...I'm not really sure, but I was told to you had to leave...I guess you're trespassing."

I was like..."I'm trespassing on Public Property?" We ended up leaving after a 10 minute chat which included the officer agreeing that he didn't see us doing anything wrong, but that city hall won't stop bothering his boss...and that we gotta leave.

The veteran beeper with me has a daughter who is a county sheriff in the same county. She made a call the next day...to the Chief of the local Dept. Supposedly, he stated he couldn't find any laws that we were breaking and that he'd get it cleared up in a few days and we'd be able to return.

However, a few days later, our call from the Chief didn't work out as planned. Apparently, the Mayor and city council decided there were all sorts of violations we were committing, they just couldn't cite specifics. Until of course...they started saying that Rochester was built on an old Native American Village or graveyard. And that there may be artifacts there...construction crews were being told to be "on the lookout" and that a team of archaeologists accompanied by a team of professionals with metal detectors would be locating items in the construction zone and giving them to the local historical society. This was TOTAL BS. We even offered to give up the all finds non coin related to the historical society...since all we really cared about were the coins. They could keep all other items...they denied us.

Within a few days, there was an article in a Rochester online paper called "The Patch."

The author, keep in mind not knowing us or seeing our 40 minute treasure hunt...called us "LOOTERS." I believe the article also referred to us as Scavengers and Thieves. There were quite a few comments on there and nearly everyone sided with us...as hard as that may be to believe. Very few people were on the side of the city government. Btw...after the construction project was over...I remember people asking what items of historical value were found??? City hall was like...oh, nothing much.

To this day...its the only street construction project I have EVER been asked to leave. We all made a vow...not to give $1.00 more to businesses in that city. And I hate that...because I graduated from college in Rochester. I have a lot of good memories there, but this 1 bad memory left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I even switched one of my Doctors because his office was there.

Just letting you know...it could be worse...the media could portray your completely legal hobby as THIEVERY.

Sorry its so long guys and gals,

DH24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Hey Deerhunter24, Flint's not THAT bad! Try playing the Old Miami in Detroit on a January night. :headbang:

Haha. That's funny.

Well they're both pretty bad and I've actually detected in areas in both Flint and Detroit. To tell you the truth, I'm more creeped out in Flint...

Reason being, there is more blight in Flint and far less witnesses.

BTW...I noticed you were from Rochester Hills...if you read my follow up post on my BAD EXPERIENCE in Rochester street construction...I'm interested to know if you remember hearing about that a few years ago when it happened. Local stirrup over the metal detecting in Rochester Construction.

DH24

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it amazing that some idiots have to stick their noses into something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. I bet you couldn't beg them into confronting a thug showing his @$$ in public, but let them get a chance to disrupt another person's good clean fun and they are all in. Congrats on the big silver.:laughing7:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided that the main reason that I put my headphones on to detect, is so I don't have to hear idiots.

Be nice to have them on at work, sometimes.
Out here in Denver it's legal to hunt curbs by houses, (city property),
but that never stops people from complaining.
Keep posting!
Carl

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
All last summer going into about 5 months I detected street and sidewalk tearouts here in Vegas, not one bad look, ill word or anything negative. Sometimes I felt invisible to people. Seemed the only people who talked to me were police officers who checked on me to see if I was alright and to see my new finds every weekend. Found out yesterday there about to start a new street tearout in a very, very promising street. Cant wait. Glad u stood up for yourself we shouldnt deel like we have to defend ourselves and our great hobby. Hope you find lots more. Good luck

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet walker!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread