Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
2u6upu2u.jpg
uze5y3y2.jpg
2u3y4aba.jpg
ame7e5at.jpg
ugy3uny2.jpg
My only good find for the first hunt of spring in mid coast Maine. Wedges are still there and it was down about four inches. Do you guys think it was mass produced or made by a blacksmith? I kind of think a blacksmith because of the way it was split to accept the handle.

sent from a potato...

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, DR! I have found 3 but didn't keep any of them. I really wish I had now:BangHead:I remember a post from last year showing shapes of axes and their time period. Yours does have a unique shape not like a modern one IMO.:coffee2:

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congrats, DR! I have found 3 but didn't keep any of them. I really wish I had now:BangHead:I remember a post from last year showing shapes of axes and their time period. Yours does have a unique shape not like a modern one IMO.:coffee2:

Thanks, I was looking at a old tnet post and the shape best matches the shape called Maine style. I found it on an area where I have found two horse shoes and an ox shoe. I keep all my finds like this. I can only imagine the stories it could tell and the hard work it has seen.

sent from a potato...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir, you are correct in the stories. To me, the relics have more mystery and cause me to imagine their journey to where I found them than the older coins. Don't get me wrong, I love them too, lol.:coffee2:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long oval hole looks more like a factory made axe, they have been factory making them for a long time making it not necessary for blacksmiths to do so. Some folks like them, and I am glad you do, but I throw all mine in the trash as they are just basically common un-identifiable rusty iron or steel junk to me.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes sir, you are correct in the stories. To me, the relics have more mystery and cause me to imagine their journey to where I found them than the older coins. Don't get me wrong, I love them too, lol.:coffee2:

I like to think of these old tools as a reminder to how hard life was for people over a hundred years ago. In some ways I'm really happy to be living in our time vs. Back then but in other ways I would like to have lived back then...

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread