1830s fort.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Been doing a lot of research over the winter. I finally found the approx. location of one of the 4 forts that were built in Knox county Illinois. These forts were used by the local folks in case of Indian attacks. The Blackhawks where in this area, and according to some reports where causing problems with the locals. It is a large bean field now, so with all that bean stubble it is hard to hunt. My hunting partner and I decided to give it a try today. It was windy and still a little cold so we only hunted this site for about 2 hours. Found a ton of old nails and my hunting partner found these two mini balls. If someone knows some information about these little balls, I would appreciate it. I am wanting to know if this size was used in the 1830s. The balls are approx. 3/8 inch. Thanks...

Attachments

• hunt 005.jpg
    hunt 005.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found about 5 of those today also big L ;)

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More than likely they are part of the "buck and ball" with the small balls being glued 3 at a time to a 69 caliber large round ball. Shotgun effect. I find these all the time. Nice finds!
Mike ;)

OP
OP
lucky1777

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
brnn53 said:
More than likely they are part of the "buck and ball" with the small balls being glued 3 at a time to a 69 caliber large round ball. Shotgun effect. I find these all the time. Nice finds!
Mike ;)

Where these used in the 1830s or was it something that came later?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread