Is this a common find?

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the M6 out for a spin today. Of course I was hunting for gold jewelry and silver coins. I was hunting a drained lake bed when this euro rang in as a zinc, it sounded good so I dug it. The gold color had me thinking for a sec.

037.JPG

036.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 5

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wikipedia says the composition is an alloy known as "Nordic gold", which is 89% copper, 5% each of aluminum & zinc, and 1% tin. I could see you getting a zinc reading from all that in one coin.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Euro is worth $1.38 face value... :icon_scratch: Its about as common as finding a clad quarter. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, this is the first euro coin I found in 26 years of metal detecting. I have found tons of clad quarters though.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Ya that gold color in the hole will get the heart pump'n!
I dig anything in the coin range on my M6, because... It once read penny at 10 in. which turned out to be a religious medallion 14K gold/copper mix!
The M6 does think it is hilarious to tell me "ring" and watch me dig up e pull tab, ever the jokester!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange enough I've been finding euro's, usually in soccer fields, here in the US for about the last 5 years. 1 and 2 euro coins both tend to sound off like zinc's. I don't consider them rare anymore. Just unusual and considering were I've been finding them not that unusual at all :) Another common coin set are Peso's. Outside the US Soccer is a big deal to Europeans and South Americans.
Cool find.

Now I have not found any here in the US but if you go Down Under the ozzies have two sweet gold coins that are fun to find and quite profitable :) Their 1 and especially 2 dollar coins seem to like to jump outta their pockets. Many days did I make more than lunch money hunting down there :)

Last edited:

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate finding those Euro coins, I allways think it is a gold coin for like a quarter of a second. :P

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Euro is worth $1.38 face value... :icon_scratch: Its about as common as finding a clad quarter. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Wow, this is the first euro coin I found in 26 years of metal detecting. I have found tons of clad quarters though.

as MUD stated, the current conversion rate is $1.38 US for 1 Euro. Note though, that your coin is a 20 cent Euro. The sub-units for the Euro is 100 cents, so the current conversion rate for your coin is 0.276 cents US.
To answer your question if this is a common find, I would certainly think not very common at all in the US

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I guess that's what has kept my interest in this hobby for so long. You never no what you're gonna dig up.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as MUD stated, the current conversion rate is $1.38 US for 1 Euro. Note though, that your coin is a 20 cent Euro. The sub-units for the Euro is 100 cents, so the current conversion rate for your coin is 0.276 cents US. To answer your question if this is a common find, I would certainly think not very common at all in the US

If it's 1/5 of $1.38 wouldn't it be 27.6 cents or .276 dollars US?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem your going to have with foreign coins is that you wont find a bank that will take them. Banks will exchange notes but not coin due to the potential for forgery. I'm not sure the exchange kiosk's in international airport hubs will take coin... but then you'd have to have a ticket to get in and find out. They are an interesting oddity and can be good pocket change if you travel internationally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread