May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent some time digging a late colonial site in Brunswick Cty, NC this weekend and found a first for me - a tudor rose button. It is in really nice condition with the shank intact. Measures about 11 mm across. Not sure if it has any connection to the military but I'm pretty excited to have dug it. The second button is a thick cast pewter button about 17 mm across. I can't quite make out the design on the front and it might just be a something decorative or could it be another tudor rose? Any ideas on either of these?

Attachments

• P1020277.JPG
    P1020277.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 615
  • P1020283.JPG
    P1020283.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 893
  • P1020282.JPG
    P1020282.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 376
  • P1020280.JPG
    P1020280.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 297
  • P1020281.JPG
    P1020281.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Upvote 11

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late colonial-period site? Looks more like an early colonial-period site based on those buttons. Tudor Rose designs have shown up on some of my earliest sites. Nice button finds!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats - I dug a few of those on that side of the river over the years. they are more like mid 1700s then late. Some folks will chime in and say that the tudor rose has a military connection. The truth is, yes they did, but far more did not than actually did. The first one is a true tudor rose and absolutely a civilian button. The other is actually what looks like a tudor style button and could be as early as late 1600's.

There are a few areas over there that do yield British lieutenant buttons (tudor rose) from time to time. There is one that I know at least a dozen came from.

HH man

Dan

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome buttons!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds !!!

And great history to go with them !!!!

Are they found in Canada also ?

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments everyone.

congrats - I dug a few of those on that side of the river over the years. they are more like mid 1700s then late. Some folks will chime in and say that the tudor rose has a military connection. The truth is, yes they did, but far more did not than actually did. The first one is a true tudor rose and absolutely a civilian button. The other is actually what looks like a tudor style button and could be as early as late 1600's.

There are a few areas over there that do yield British lieutenant buttons (tudor rose) from time to time. There is one that I know at least a dozen came from.

HH man

Dan

Dan, thanks for the info on the buttons. These were dug in the Lockwoods Folly area and is know to have had occupation from the 1770's but very well could have been earlier. I've dug a ton of flat buttons and tombac's from this site but these are the first "interesting" buttons aside from an Admiral Vernon button that I dug last summer.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice buttons, congrats!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dan, thanks for the info on the buttons. These were dug in the Lockwoods Folly area and is know to have had occupation from the 1770's but very well could have been earlier. I've dug a ton of flat buttons and tombac's from this site but these are the first "interesting" buttons aside from an Admiral Vernon button that I dug last summer.

Lockwood is much older than the 1770's though in small locations. That being said, even if a site was settled in 1770, the items they brought with them could easily be 50 years or more older. Thats a good area, keep at it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Screwy, everything looks right with your tudor rose button except the shank.

Please keep in mind I'm no expert, only going on what I've been told over the years.

And that is "normally" the military shanks are iron.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Screwy, everything looks right with your tudor rose button except the shank.

Please keep in mind I'm no expert, only going on what I've been told over the years.

And that is "normally" the military shanks are iron.

Rick, based on the lack of military finds at this site and the known history of it I am not very confident that either of these buttons are directly military related. The small button is almost certainly civilian and but I don't know about the pewter one which does have any iron shank.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure its pewter, that would be very interesting, as 99% of these are tombac?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, based on the lack of military finds at this site and the known history of it I am not very confident that either of these buttons are directly military related. The small button is almost certainly civilian and but I don't know about the pewter one which does have any iron shank.

You have it right to not be confident because there's a lot of those tombac tudor rose buttons dug, and nothing out there that I have seen to suggest they are military, at least nothing I would consider reliable. I was just sorting my finds from the last few years and have a large one, and it did not go in my military cases... not even the one that has modern military, and a few things that are civilian that kind of have a military look... because in my mind it has no chance. That said, never rule out a single military buttons mixed with a bunch of civilian.... been there and dome that over 100 times.... but I've yet to find a tudor rose navy. (maybe someday)

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure its pewter, that would be very interesting, as 99% of these are tombac?

Could be tombac, I suppose? Feels heavy/dense like lead or pewter and is thicker than any other tombac buttons that I have found. There is also a nice crack opening up on one edge that reminds me of pewter.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a couple of pewter versions, but they are a lot more scarce.

Alexander43lb

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 400
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Go-Find 60
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting