beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was given permission to detect on a small piece of property with an old falling down house on it. The owner said just don't get too close to the house cause it could collapse at any time. I got there about 8am, put on my gear and started out near the road in front of the house. As I worked my way towards the house the grass was getting thicker and deeper which made swinging the coil tough. I had found $.81 cents in clad coins and a couple pieces of junk. I was ready to call it a day when it happened.

I'm deathly afraid of snakes so you won't catch me in tall grass in the summer. And this grass was giving me the willies. As I turned to head to my jeep I looked down and my entire body froze. There, right at my feet was a HUGE snake. I had visions of huge fangs stabbing into my leg filling my with poison, falling to the ground, and slowing dying. I knew I had to go on the offensive so I held down the snake with my coil while I whacked off it's head with my Lesche tool. Only after it was dead did I look to see what kind of snake it was. Turned out to be an inner tube from a bicycle. But I surely did kill it!!!!!

$.81 cents in clad was my take for the day. I left he old inner tube where it lay...........dead!

Upvote 11

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those rubber snakes are the hardest to kill(lol) but I do share your fear so I know how you feel. Take care and be careful out there.HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I really liked your Masonic ring find.... however, I really do not like the thought of you killing an innocent snake. Snakes are a part of being outside, they are a natural part of the ecosystem. Education is the key to ovecoming unfounded fears. OK, I am off of my soapbox now.

cparks01

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2011
McGraw, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & BH 505
Come on, he was in fear of his life! Funny after the fact and you, Tom are insulting his phobia, education does not help that! Hope on the box!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see snakes quite often when detecting. Being that I have a VERY strong fear/respect for them I am extremely cautious and watchful for them. The ones I see are usually a few feet away allowing me to back away slowly then turn and run as fast as this old boy can run. This one however was inches away and I felt I had no choice. It was either kill or be killed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you spell overeaction? don't kill snakes unless they are poisonous. How many times has a snakebite resulted in your death?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just too funny!

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given permission to detect on a small piece of property with an old falling down house on it. The owner said just don't get too close to the house cause it could collapse at any time. I got there about 8am, put on my gear and started out near the road in front of the house. As I worked my way towards the house the grass was getting thicker and deeper which made swinging the coil tough. I had found $.81 cents in clad coins and a couple pieces of junk. I was ready to call it a day when it happened.

I'm deathly afraid of snakes so you won't catch me in tall grass in the summer. And this grass was giving me the willies. As I turned to head to my jeep I looked down and my entire body froze. There, right at my feet was a HUGE snake. I had visions of huge fangs stabbing into my leg filling my with poison, falling to the ground, and slowing dying. I knew I had to go on the offensive so I held down the snake with my coil while I whacked off it's head with my Lesche tool. Only after it was dead did I look to see what kind of snake it was. Turned out to be an inner tube from a bicycle. But I surely did kill it!!!!!

$.81 cents in clad was my take for the day. I left he old inner tube where it lay...........dead!

LMAO to funny...

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you spell overeaction? don't kill snakes unless they are poisonous. How many times has a snakebite resulted in your death?
ALL snakes are hazardous to my health! :(

Even if it's a garter snake!

It will cause a heart attack if it surprises me!! :(

;)

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Is that a hidden camera in a Camaro question? LOL .................In this lifetime no snakebite has resulted in my death. I can tell you a quick story that might help explain my fear of snakes.

When we were kids there was this huge field with tons of flat rocks. We would go there and turn over rocks to find small garter snakes. Now remember we were kids okay? We would use them for bait for the big smallmouth bass in the creek behind my house. One summer my best friends brother (1 year younger then us) was found dead at the bank of the creek. He had a pocket full of baby copperheads that had bitten through his pants pockets. I was already wary of snakes but after that it intensified.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, that's sad. I retract my rebuke ( even though it was in jest)

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A snake will distract me from my detecting until I catch it, play with it for a few mins to see what it is, then let it go :zoom: :camera:

Poisonous snakes have a pointed, arrowhead-shaped head. If the jaw is visible (rather than streamlined with the neck) then it's harmless. The jaw will be visible whether the snake flattens out or not.

I see copperheads and water moccasins on a regular basis where I hunt.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beez, You gave me a much needed laugh. Thank you! 3 or 4 years ago, I was hiking and taking pics in the woods above my house. I came to a rock formation called "the library" ( because of 3 high walls of stone ) that is popular with rock climbers. I set my camera up for a timed shot and hurried over to one of the walls. As I saw the flash go off, I heard a strange "plop" and just as the thought " What the heck was that? " went through my head I heard another "plop" and immediately saw 2 snakes wriggling away from me! They were falling/jumping off the cliff behind me. I gave a little paranoid and frightened feminine-sounding scream and ran like the dickens out of the "library". I am pretty certain I said a couple words that would have caused a preacher to pray for my soul. Needless to say, I don't care for snakes either, so I can relate. Oh yeah, eventually I was able to overcome the fear and go back in the "library" to retrieve my camera, lol.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be right there with you guys screaming, jumping, and running, and if I can't get away it's either it or me and I'm the crazy screaming one, I'd probably scare it to death!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmmm. This thread really got me thinking . One thing I can't decide (so please help me out folks?). If a snake kills a person.....will THAT upset the ecosystem ?

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff Gordon, I know you were jesting. Interestingly in NY it is now illegal to kill timber rattlers so even though they are poisonous you cannot kill them. But once again I still hold to my 18" rule. If a snake is within that perimeter I will do everything and anything I have to do to survive the encounter. And to be honest the large majority of the snakes I see are mostly hidden in the grass or rocks. So I am not able to study their head to determine if they are poisonous or not although I should try and learn more about their markings. Cause the "plop" "plop" you hear when I see a snake is not made by a snake it's made by me and an accidental bodily function.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And to be honest the large majority of the snakes I see are mostly hidden in the grass or rocks. So I am not able to study their head to determine if they are poisonous or not although I should try and learn more about their markings.

See, this is what I was getting at. If I heard or glimpsed one, I would HAVE to investigate. :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmmm. This thread really got me thinking . One thing I can't decide (so please help me out folks?). If a snake kills a person.....will THAT upset the ecosystem ?

snakes are allowed to kill people UNLESS the people are on the endangered list

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALL snakes are hazardous to my health!

Even if it's a garter snake!

It will cause a heart attack if it surprises me!!

You would have been a goner if you saw this guy!Probably the biggest garter snake I've ever seen! Harmless, though. He was just soaking up the sun in the woods yesterday.

big garter snake.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread