Reale counterfeit 1842

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally made it out to an old cornfield that was once a school house site in the early 1800s. The site is close to a beautiful old home with ~10 huge oaks in the front yard. It's one of those places that just "feels old." Anyway, after asking about the history of the place, the owner was kind enough to let me detect there last summer. He told me about the old school house that used to be on the property. This school was not on any of the old maps I had researched (and that had schools/homes dating to the 1860s). He also mentioned finding several half dimes at the site. Needless to say, I didn't need much convincing to give it a try. However, after several trips out there all I had to show was a few bullets and square nails (HEAVY iron there). I decided to give it another shot yesterday and found what I think is a counterfeit Mexican Reale dated 1842. This baby rang in at 53 on my AT Pro, so initially I was thinking V or Shield. However, I'm sure it's not silver. Most likely pewter I think. Any info you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks for looking! HH, Tin Foil.

Reale1.JPG reale2.JPG

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread