Revolutionary war button?

button king

Apr 6, 2010
southern Maryland/north east Pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
tesoro tejon/ T2
image.jpg image.jpg I'm pretty sure this button dates between 1750 and around the revolutionary war but does anyone know if it's British or American?? Also I found it at a camp site that dates around that time period.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the time frame right, and probably either or. Definitely see lots dug in the UK that look the same way.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In answer to the question it's not Rev War Military issue but it is British 'blow hole' button of that period.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you have the time frame right. And I have found lots of blow hole buttons in military camps from the French & Indian and Rev War. But you cannot say for sure whether it was worn on a uniform or civilian clothes. I can say that all the ones I have found or seen dug here in Pennsylvania have been plain faced examples, so that one is pretty cool in my mind.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would it be off of someone high ranking in the British military ??

It is most likely a civilian button. Both Tombac and blow hole buttons were used on military uniforms during the 1750s and 1760s. But they were also used on civilian clothes. So you can't say one way or the other even if you dug it on a military site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread