Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks. I got out for a little bit 2 days ago to finish up one portion of a corn field. Most of the finds from here are from the 1900-1920's, but as old as pre-Civil War also. I don't know how long folding knives have been carried, but this appears to have a little age to it. At first, I thought the handles were bone, but as brittle as they are, I would guess wood maybe now. My first thought was to toss it, but the more I look at it, I am inclined to maybe add it to a shadow box display of found relics. Cleaning this is going to pose a little dilemma because of the fragility of the handles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
a5yparep.jpg

8a9ebeju.jpg

Upvote 5

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knife Old dude, I think it looks cool as it is and wouldn't risk cleaning it too much. As you said it looks quite delicate. Good one :)

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I did a little research and found folding knives have been around for many centuries!
http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/history/the-history-of-pocket-knives.html
This URL is pretty cool because my girl friend is originally from Sheffield. I didn't know this until I met her, but Sheffield is the Pittsburgh of the UK. The city's main source of employment and claim to fame is/was metal works. Her father was an engineer for one of the big companies there.

Last edited:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knife Old dude, I think it looks cool as it is and wouldn't risk cleaning it too much. As you said it looks quite delicate. Good one :)

I agree. I wouldn't try to clean it as it way fall apart trying to do so. Coat it with some poly to preserve it and keep it in tact. I like to use more of a matt finish rather than a gloss, because the relics look more natural then.
Neat find OD. It may have been Quindy's Boy Scout knife if it goes into the 1800's. :laughing7:
Thanks for the link too. :thumbsup:
-DUHg-

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Old Knife Old Dude.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I wouldn't try to clean it as it way fall apart trying to do so. Coat it with some poly to preserve it and keep it in tact. I like to use more of a matt finish rather than a gloss, because the relics look more natural then.
Neat find OD. It may have been Quindy's Boy Scout knife if it goes into the 1800's. :laughing7:
Thanks for the link too. :thumbsup:
-DUHg-

M M -How Would you suggest "Drying " the knife out before the Poly Coating?
I,have found a few the need to be coated , I just Don't want to lock the rust in.
Thanks
Davers

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handle material appears to be what knife guys call "rough black" a synthetic material made to look like jigged bone. Knife appears to be 1930s or newer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great old folding knife!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M M -How Would you suggest "Drying " the knife out before the Poly Coating?
I,have found a few the need to be coated , I just Don't want to lock the rust in.
Thanks
Davers

I have a small toaster oven that I use on low heat, but I thick a hair dryer would work just as well. :thumbsup:
I have a lot of relics I've done this with and they have held up just fine.
-MM-

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- check out aquachiggers video on how to hot wax treat rusted relics , on his you tube channel.

hh rory

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would look nice just the way it is....Congrats on the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread