British 65th Officer button In Excellent Shape.

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Managed to find this button, and wanted to share the before and after pictures after some cleaning. The before is just a scrub with some soapy water. The finish was done with the help of some lemmon juice!

IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0994.JPG

turned out beautifully :)

Upvote 17

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really ask for much more than that!

Looks like it was most likely lost from 1791-1794, and that does fit.

After this regiment was sent to Canada in 1784 and Nova Scotia in 1791.[SUP][2][/SUP] In 1794 the 65th Foot were shipped back to the West Indies to take part in the attack on Santo Domingo in Haiti and a second attack on Martinique and then St Lucia.[SUP][3]

[/SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65th_%282nd_Yorkshire,_North_Riding%29_Regiment_of_Foot

OP
OP
Bryan6059

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really ask for much more than that!

Looks like it was most likely lost from 1791-1794, and that does fit.

After this regiment was sent to Canada in 1784 and Nova Scotia in 1791.[SUP][2][/SUP] In 1794 the 65th Foot were shipped back to the West Indies to take part in the attack on Santo Domingo in Haiti and a second attack on Martinique and then St Lucia.[SUP][3]

[/SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65th_%282nd_Yorkshire,_North_Riding%29_Regiment_of_Foot

I supposed I could get greedy and ask for more than that by requesting some more of its buddies to show up to the party ;) but am trilled at how well it cleaned up. one of the finer "beauty and beast" or should I saw beast to beauty cleanups!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I supposed I could get greedy and ask for more than that by requesting some more of its buddies to show up to the party ;) but am trilled at how well it cleaned up. one of the finer "beauty and beast" or should I saw beast to beauty cleanups!

It can happen! I know of 16 military belt plates that age found on the same site, and were probably all in the same hole at one point, and if that can happen... just about anything can. I do have one site where I've dug at least 10 of the same early button, but many where there have been doubles. It's nice when you can find the other size, which would mean adding a 17mm cuff for you.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful button!! That silver plating really held up!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
that is a fantastic find! Congrats!

On a side note...lemon juice? How does the process work and is it for specific buttons only? Reason I ask is one of the buttons I found last night had a floral design and "GILT" on the back and after cleaning with soap and water....and a toothbrush (shudder) it is hard to see the design or the "GILT" anymore.

Again good find!

Funkman

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a fantastic find! Congrats!

On a side note...lemon juice? How does the process work and is it for specific buttons only? Reason I ask is one of the buttons I found last night had a floral design and "GILT" on the back and after cleaning with soap and water....and a toothbrush (shudder) it is hard to see the design or the "GILT" anymore.

Again good find!

Funkman

A soak for a matter of minutes simply cleans the surface to show remaining gilt or silver. If there not much left, you obviously won't get much out of the cleaning, but as you can see in the above case it can hide pretty well sometimes.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's AWESOME! Still waiting to find my 1st Rev War Button.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good find!! congrats!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemon juice my fav button cleaner.

I actually think that an Officer Button in this condition is BANNER worthy, I bet there is less than a handful out there!

CONGRATS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I actually think that an Officer Button in this condition is BANNER worthy, I bet there is less than a handful out there!

CONGRATS

Since pretty seems quite high on the scale for banner picking, and sometimes too high compared to rarity and value, I think you can get to banner with this one, just a little different type calculation. What's funny is it's almost like ebay, I bet if the picture was done closer, and the button was shinier, sort of more in an ebayisk sort of way where you're trying to sell it... I bet more people would reply. I think the pics represent it ok, but you know in person the condition is fantastic for a dug button, and that pic probably doesn't do it justice. Plus there was not much said, and not a million smileys, and I think a lot of people decide whether to reply based on how much you like your find, and if you seem to really love it, they're more likely to say something. You certainly will not see too many early dug officer buttons posted that are this nice.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful button! Man I can't believe how well it cleaned up. To me that is easily banner worthy. No offense to some of the jewelry and stuff that goes up sometimes but to me the historical significance and condition of that baby coupled with the fact that a very low percentage of the few in the ground are gonna come out looking like that, let's start this banner party. Take a few nice close ups of it. I'm gonna vote. Love it

OP
OP
Bryan6059

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CONGRATS

thanks! I didn't really know what I had until Iron patch filled me in on some details and gave me the advise to use the lemon juice. I just hope that maybe I can find some more of its buddies when I return to the area next weekend ;) There appears to be some French and british finds in the area!

OP
OP
Bryan6059

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful button! Man I can't believe how well it cleaned up. To me that is easily banner worthy. No offense to some of the jewelry and stuff that goes up sometimes but to me the historical significance and condition of that baby coupled with the fact that a very low percentage of the few in the ground are gonna come out looking like that, let's start this banner party. Take a few nice close ups of it. I'm gonna vote. Love it

I'll try and get you some more pics, but will have to wait until later on tonight or maybe tomorrow ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try and get you some more pics, but will have to wait until later on tonight or maybe tomorrow ;)

Just like some dug silver coins it's probably going to be tough to make it look as good as it does in person. That corrosion seems to really done you a favor keeping near 100% of the silver plate intact, but that is the type of button that likely has the best chance... quality made and flat with recessed detail.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! I didn't really know what I had until Iron patch filled me in on some details and gave me the advise to use the lemon juice. I just hope that maybe I can find some more of its buddies when I return to the area next weekend ;) There appears to be some French and british finds in the area!

You can wish for buddies, but unless a uniform got burnt on the field, the chances of another one coming off the same jacket is low.(not impossible, just unlikely) Other types are more likely...

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, excellent detail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread