Some pics of my finds from the recently concluded 2013-14 season + a short video

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've finally been forced to wrap things up for the season with pretty much all my sites now being unavailable due to the fields being planted. I had another very good year although the quantity of finds was down a bit from the previous season due mostly to the horrible winter weather that kept me inside a lot more than I wanted. And my good friend and hunting partner Dan had a lot of work conflicts which kept our weekend hunts to half days in many cases. But on the plus side was the fact that I had an extremely high percentage of getting permission at the sites I had researched. Out of 20-25 sites I was only turned down at two, and one of those we eventually got in through the "back door". Dan also did an outstanding job of getting into some prime spots. Colonial silver was still #1 on my most wanted list, and although the year started out very slow I finished with a flurry and ended up with a total of 17. I also recovered an unusually high number of coppers which are harder to find around here for some reason. My pit digging time was down considerably from the year before as well, and as a result I was only able to recover one black glass bottle seal. I was also able to get into some "newer" stuff in the last 2-3 weeks, and had a ball digging some cool military items. All-in-all it was fun year, and I thoroughly enjoyed hunting with Dan as well as my other buddies Stan and Joey (and you too Evan!).

I just pulled out all of my finds for the season and laid them out on the floor as I usually do for a photo session. Somehow I forgot to include the 6 lb cannonball I dug, but its too late for that now - sorry. I took one pic showing everything, and snapped several others of finds from a few selected sites. You may need to enlarge the thumbnail views to see the details better. Each box represents a different site except where it took more than one box for an individual site. Soon I'll be pulling the best finds from these boxes, and they'll make their way into a nice wooden display case as has become my annual tradition. I'll post that at a later time along with some group shots of the better coins, buckles, and buttons that came out of the ground this season. Once that's done I'll be spending the rest of the summer working on a few more magazine articles, and hitting the books again to do the very important job of research which makes it possible to get onto promising sites. And maybe do a little water and beach hunting too. I really appreciate the support here on the forum where I've made many new friends, and hope to continue those relationships going into the summer doldrums. HH to all ..... Bill D.

I almost forgot. The link below will take you to a short youtube video where I give a brief overview of some of my finds from the 2013-14 season. I'm not the best narrator, so hopefully it won't bore you to sleep.

Attachments

• 2013-14 finds1.JPG
    2013-14 finds1.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 2013-14 finds2.JPG
    2013-14 finds2.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 2013-14 finds3.JPG
    2013-14 finds3.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 2013-14 finds4.JPG
    2013-14 finds4.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 2013-14 finds5.JPG
    2013-14 finds5.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 2013-14 finds6.JPG
    2013-14 finds6.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 145
  • 2013-14 finds7.JPG
    2013-14 finds7.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2013-14 finds8.JPG
    2013-14 finds8.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 2013-14 finds9.JPG
    2013-14 finds9.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 8

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I can say is GOOD GRIEF!! Trying to clean up Virginia all by yourself??

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really sure what to say, except for WOW.

You make me jealous.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another unbelievable year for you Bill. You make it look so easy but I know it's the crazy amount of research you do that makes it possible. I almost enjoy seeing what you find week after week as much as I do finding stuff myself.....er...um....not really but I do enjoy your posts. I am also glad we enjoy the same colonial passion and are able hunt some sites together. I look forward to us finding some bottles this summer.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Wow what a great accumulation of colonial relics Bill D.!! I'd say that was a pretty lucrative season:thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Another stellar year Bill. You accomplished quantity and quality again in epic fashion. Always enjoy hunting with you and your finds when I'm not around. Can't wait till fall. Hopefully the beach will be kind to you in the mean time.
Evan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
Simply amazing!!!! That's more than I've dug in 10 years. LOL
On your video at minute 3:22, is that a leg shackle I see in that box? ???
Congrats on an unbelievable season. Your display cases are top-notch!

-Doug-

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill, dispite the weather you did amazing. I will soon be starting my hunting season and I hope that I can do half as good as you did. Congrats on a successful year and I look forward to reading your next articals.
ZDD

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work digging, cleaning, and gaining permission on great researched sites!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even have that many boxes in my house.... let alone have all those boxes be filled with awesome relics. How do you store them after the season is over? Do you have a bunch of 55 gallon drums in the garage? :laughing7::laughing7: Great season Bill. :occasion14:

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a truly amazing haul. Inspiration to all who metal detect. Makes me want to get out right now. Congrats

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,
Simply amazing!!!! That's more than I've dug in 10 years. LOL
On your video at minute 3:22, is that a leg shackle I see in that box? ???
Congrats on an unbelievable season. Your display cases are top-notch!

-Doug-

That's actually a barrel lock, and we found the key that goes with it. It could have been used as a shackle too.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20 years from now, if I am able, I hope to post my lifetime finds. I can only hope they are close to being compared to your season's finds. As said above, your hard work not only in recovery, but research and door knocking has certainly paid off for you and Dan.:coffee2:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even have that many boxes in my house.... let alone have all those boxes be filled with awesome relics. How do you store them after the season is over? Do you have a bunch of 55 gallon drums in the garage? :laughing7::laughing7: Great season Bill. :occasion14:

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I'm an extremely organized guy. I have a large custom closet adjacent to my relic room with loads of wooden shelving to store and stack these boxes. And I also have 5 large display cabinets and curios not to mention other smaller displays throughout the house here and there. But if I keep bringing home this much every year it won't be too far down the road before I'll start having a little storage problem. But that's a nice problem to have, right? I may have to consider your 55 gal drum suggestion:laughing7:.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another unbelievable year for you Bill. You make it look so easy but I know it's the crazy amount of research you do that makes it possible. I almost enjoy seeing what you find week after week as much as I do finding stuff myself.....er...um....not really but I do enjoy your posts. I am also glad we enjoy the same colonial passion and are able hunt some sites together. I look forward to us finding some bottles this summer.

You're definitely not short on colonial passion Joey. Looking forward to getting out with you this summer and scrounging around for black glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread