Got my ACE 250, a nickel, bottlecap, and a question

boflexson

Jan 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Hey all,

It finally thawed out up here in Green Bay, so I picked up an Ace 250 and hit the backyard.

Found a 1978 Nickel, and a bottle cap.

I'm having a little trouble though. I get a bunch of singles, say a quarter at 4 inches on a pass. then when going back over the same spot, I get nothing. sometimes it will register 3 times out of ten passes.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
boflex,

what mode did you have it on? and also did you notice if it was pinging at you when you were at the end of a swing? Other than that might have been something you discriminated out.

Funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Boflexson,

I would think that all-metal mode would beep everytime you swung the coil. I usually get the "every now and then" beep when I am in jewelry mode but it is usually beacuse there is an iron object there also. I switch to all metal mode and then get the sound from the iron.
Just so you know, I run mostly in jewelry mode and also have the sensitivity bars at 4 notches. SOmetimes I wll put it in all metal mode but the site I am going over has so many little nails and iron objects that it will be beeping at me with every swing.
Have you tried another area and have had the same results? Usually I do sometimes get exactly what you are saying but if I don;t get a signal most of the times I swing over a potential target, I pass it up. I mainly go for the targets that are constant and will beep at me each time.
PM me if you have further questions. Hope others will chime in and help you also with this question. Ricardo_NY is also a good source of info regarding the Ace 250 as is Danimal. There are others out there I know, but my memory is starting to fail me.

Funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
just thinking that maybe it might be something just on the edge of the range of the detector. Have you also tried raising the sensitivity? Just for poops and chuckles anyway to see what it will do. Might give you more false reading but you never know.

Funkman

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
My cortez will often pick up the edge of iron objects as a silver target, but the hit is pretty inconsistent. Once I get it pinpointed a little better, I can usually tell that it's iron tho'.

reskinsrock

Oct 23, 2006
check your sensitivity, try lowering it and the "sometimes" beeps probably will stop. I have some experience with the Ace 250 and some nice finds, its a great machine.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
First I would try going to pinpoint mode and seeing if a target is actually there to begin with. Odds are good that if your ACE is chattering away in one direction and nada in another it's your sensitivity set high enough where ANY minor change in the ground's mineral content is triggering a response. You see, the ground itself can contain enough iron and other metallic mineral content to actually affect your machine.
ANY time you are wondering if your ACE is telling you something...ANYTHING...is in the ground, the first thing you should do is depress your pinpoint and find out exactly where the target is. Your ACE will do a MUCH better job of identifying what a target is when the center of the coil's magnetic field is directly over the target. You can also try sweeping from several different directions when a target ID's only from one-way. Your ACE's field is NOT conical, but oval, so it reads targets differently from different angles...especially when the coin is tilted or on edge.

Hope that helps, and have fun with your ACE!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If mine only dings in one direction, 9 times out of ten it's a deformed pull tab. Monty

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Monty said:
If mine only dings in one direction, 9 times out of ten it's a deformed pull tab. Monty

Ahhh Monty...but it's that one time in ten we all talk about!

I agree though with Monty's basic statement. If I get a one-direction beep...go to pinpoint...yup, something's there...sweep from another direction...yup...still one beep, more often than not it's trash. Pulltab piece, canslaw, etc.

OP
OP
B

boflexson

Jan 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I'll give all of those ideas a try in a bit when I get home.
Assuming last's nights snow is gone. 40 and snowing, only in Green Bay.

-Bo

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Danimal said:
Monty said:

Ahhh Monty...but it's that one time in ten we all talk about!

I agree though with Monty's basic statement. If I get a one-direction beep...go to pinpoint...yup, something's there...sweep from another direction...yup...still one beep, more often than not it's trash. Pulltab piece, canslaw, etc.

I agree, but I would still dig it so the next time I hunted that area I wouldn't have to deal with it. Then again there is that oddball chance it may NOT be trash.

~Nash~

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My XLT will do that on miniscule foil or severly rotted small iron or if your off target and its picking up on the outer edge of your coil.Dananimal gave the best advice switch to pinpoint to locate the target.Then dig it to double check.Theres no better teacher then digging those iffy signals when your starting out.Also if two targets are close together one can disrupt the other and give some strange signals.Its happened were I have dug a piece of crap on a bad signal only to check again and get a good coin signal and coin ;D
HH

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
Hey I got my ace 250 about a month ago and man have I dug my fair share of pull tabs and aluminum cans. I have dug about anything that I can pinpoint. The other day I got a strong signal between a dime and a quarter it was about 5 inches down so i dug away, You could have lit a match off of my face when i dug up a piece of wadded up aluminum foil about the size of a BB. Man did that suck, but that is the only one really bad reading I have got since using the ace. So now if i have been swinging for awhile yes I will only hone in on the really clear,crisp,consistent signals that i recieve. In conclusion, I concur with what the Funkman said in reply.
Prosperous Hunting and rutting to All, LOL :o
birdy1976

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have gotten some really priceless advice on figuring out the Ace 250. I got mine for Christmas and all of these people helped me a lot. You can still see posts where I asked for help and you might still see more of them. I tuned out pennies, nickels and every kind of junk I could think of today just to hunt a really pull tab infested blanket area at a "potentially old enough for silver" swimming area. I still dug the smallest piece of aluminum foil that was imaginable. It showed up as a dollar to a piece of foil and everything between. I had to check it because it was a swimming area and it could have been a really nice diamond earring. You will run into that sort of thing with the Ace 250. Just be glad to know that it can pick your nose if you set it that way, LOL!!!....I don't want to offend you, just let you know that when you get used to the Ace 250 it will amaze you!... Go get goodins!!!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a suggestion for you to try. Run the sensitivity all the way up to max. and then back it down 4 notches and hunt in coin mode. The best place to try it out is your own back yard. Bury a coin of every type you have available, gold rings of every size you have available, just don't let the Mrs. know you took your wedding ring off for a scientific project. and then add the Almighty bain for detectorists.....a wide assortment of pull tabs. Bench tests, or just waving a coin or something in front of your detector sitting on top of something will help you immensely to learn the sounds. Watch the display at the same time so you can learn to associate the sounds each item makes that shows up on the display because you will hunt in a high noise area sometimes. Good luck to ya!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions