Surprise 1840 Half Dime find

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to hunt much this year (only 2 silver coins so far this year), so when the opportunity to hunt with JimDon came up because he was off on Friday (I work 4 tens so I am normally off on Friday), I jumped. He came down to visit my area and joined me on an old mill ball field around eleven Friday morning. After nothing but new coins, we agreed that this wasn't doing much for us, so we broke for lunch and to figure out where to go.

After lunch he asked to go to a location where our club used to meet that has an 1890's house and 2 other homes on about 3 acres in the middle of the town where I live. I have hunted this place hard many times with other buddies and found lots of silver, but he has never been able to make it. It has given up a Barber quarter, Standing Liberty Quarter, many Mercs and Rosies, Silver nickels, buffalo nickels, Wheaties a three ringer, and more.

Well we started wandering around in the front yard of the old house and the house next door. I was hunting Two tone ferrous because of the iron in the ground. Soon I got a quarter signal between iron and out pops a 1944 quarter from an area I have hunted too many times. Jim comes over and not 30 feet away he pops a 1945 P nickel. So now we both had silver so we were good. We wandered the same yard for a while and both were pulling Wheaties.

Soon we went to the corner house whose front yard has been a dead zone for most everyone. I got a deep 11-41 which I thought was going to be a Wheatie. It was very deep, 8+ inches in the nice loamy soil. When I finally retrieved it, I realized it was smaller than a penny and had a silver tint. OMG I thought I had dug a silver three center or Spanish silver (I couldn't tell since age has taken away my up close vision without a hand lens). Jim was coming around the other house as I jumped up and down and waved him over. He videoed my antics as he crossed the yard and then ID'd it (without glasses) and told me it was an 1840 Seated Half Dime. I couldn't believe it, in the yard of a early 1900's house!

Well, that was a pretty exciting evolution. Then ten feet away, he finds an 1892 Indian, his oldest Indian, so more excitement! We dug around and found more Wheaties and I found a 1943 dog tag and then it was time to go.

I thanked him multiple times for bringing me over to a place I thought was hunted out so I could find my first Half Dime and my oldest US Silver. All in all, it was a fun day with a good friend and both of us were rewarded with good finds.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20140425_153737_852.jpg
    IMG_20140425_153737_852.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 1840 Half Dime Obverse.jpg
    1840 Half Dime Obverse.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1840 Half Dime Reverse.jpg
    1840 Half Dime Reverse.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20140425_143143_413.jpg
    IMG_20140425_143143_413.jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 2

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to find one of them! Very nice indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread