Civil War Stencil and a few other things.. ;-)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Ok.. the story.. I was in the process of renovating my house... the oldest part 1790s.. the newest 1838... I was digging a trench around the inside of the dirt cellar prior to having a concrete slab poured. The second shovel of dirt flipped out a Union knapsack triangle.. having dug a few I knew what it was right away... so... I stopped with the shovel and started excavating with a mortar trowel.. with in a foot or so I found the first half of the stencil.. a ball button.. an Eagle button and a few primer caps... then the other half of the stencil popped out!! Not much else came out of the cellar.. I worked the top couple of inches as best as I could before the concrete was poured... the paper artifacts all came out of the attic... I pulled all of the floor boards up and pulled out tons of stuff... the bankdrafts, I have 6 total, all date from the 1830s...

The two bone buttons, clay Lupe pieces and 1876 dime were found when I was leveling off the side yard for a brick patio.. to his credit.. my 9 year old.. then 7.. eye spotted two to the bone buttons!! The rest of the coins and button came out of the yard.. the coin with the hole in the center and the second one started to make a button... is a counterfeit English Halfpenny... you can see it is double struck... with the second strike running across the middle of the coin...

The stencil reads:

A.F. Eastman
Co A 12th Regt NHV

Ok.. that's about it for now... I have a few more things here and there I'll post later....

MonkeyBoy

Attachments

• stencil.jpg
    stencil.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 354
  • cfcopper.jpg
    cfcopper.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 1833 bankdraft.jpg
    1833 bankdraft.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 18xxbankdraft.jpg
    18xxbankdraft.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 374
  • 183xbanknote.jpg
    183xbanknote.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 358
  • 1876dime.jpg
    1876dime.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 345
  • bonedisk.jpg
    bonedisk.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 494
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's some finds. :o I would had held off pouring cement and MDed the whole area...gotta be more treasures to be found. Good luck!

;) RR

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I hear you!! But I had to have to poured... I MD'ed.. scrapped... sifted.... everything... but I had the HVAC guys on hold installing the furnace and the deadline of moving in was getting way to close.... on the bright side... I am still popping stuff out of the yard... I had a drainfield and tanks installled... so the whole thing was dug up a spread back out.. heck... we get stuff washing up everytime it rains...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Man!!! :o :o i wish i had a house with a history like that! i would be busy every day!!! congrats! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread