EPIC day!!! Trifecta, Silver, Buff, Vnick, IHs, LC, Wheats!!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even though I got work tonight and will be going on ZERO sleep, I had to get out today, absolutely beautiful day out!8-). I had 3 places in the boondocks in mind to ask permission. #1 was an old old abandoned farmhouse on a working farm, I introduced myself to the owner and gave him my pitch, he was all interested asking questions and all of a sudden he says "u probly will only find beercaps, I don't think its such a good idea" :BangHead::BangHead: I thought "*#$_@#&!_+". Ok plan B, there was another nice farm looking property right down the road with slate sidewalks, huge trees, and well manicured lawn, So I get out, knock, and nada.........no ones home, there was a vehicle in the driveway. This is the 6th time I knocked there, I cant seem to get there when someones home. So its off to plan C. Yet another nice farm house about a mile away, I get out, knock, and get the "sure but someone was here YESTERDAY!. I thought are you kidding me? someones moving in on my turf! lol. So im always up to the challenge of following behind a fellow detectorist. I get out and start swinging and within seconds bam! 1919 wheat, im thinking hmmm, howd he miss that?, SO I go along and dig the occasional trash, than a super sexy faint 89-90 at 10" im thinking NO WAY, so I get out my digger, make a bigger plug, and got down about 8 inches and the pinpointer started picking it up, in the back of my mind im thinking beercan, trash, etc. I Pull out all the loose dirt out of the hole and pinpoint again and this time im right on top of it, I carefully dig around it and BANG! 1848 Large Cent!!:headbang:, My 3rd this year! Now im thinking "Cent Trifecta!" I carefully started gridding the entire front yard super slooooooow and got an awesome sounding faint 72-74, and low and behold 1880 IH! :hello2:MY FIRST TRUE TRIFECTA!!!:hello2:, Cant get much better right?, well wait, I get up and swing the detector and theres that familiar 72-74 bang 1864 IH!!, got another 2 in the 1 foot radius, MY FIRST INDIAN SPILL!!, By this point im on cloud 9 and it didn't even matter if I got silver or not at this point. I dug a bunch more trash, than an awesome roundball, then the cool lead soldier toy, than a faint 82-85, I said to myself let this be a silver to complete the day and sure enough it was, it was deeeeeeep too, 8"!!! it was all cruddy and I was so hesitant to rub it but I was thinking with the age of the coins I already got it HAD TO BE A BARBER!, so I rub It and nope 1919 MERC!, that's ok, I love mercs! I was going on hour 4 by this point and was almost done gridding the front yard and managed two more keepers a 1907 V nickel, and a no date buff!! I found a piece of a clay pipe and some nice glass in the one hole with the buff. Heres my relics take from the day as well: SAM_0789.JPG a buckle, roundball, couple cufflinks, porcelain, clay pipe fragment, and the lead soldier. Sorry about the novel but today was one of the best days in my short detecting career and I had to share the details! I asked the owner how long the guy was here the previous day and he says "come to think of it, he was here ten minutes and said hed be back, he had to solder a wire on his machine because he said it was going bonkers" :hello: ya snooze, ya lose LOL!!:happysmiley: Thanks for looking and HH!! SAM_0791.JPG SAM_0793.JPG SAM_0795.JPG SAM_0797.JPG Total take: 1848 LC, (11) wheats from 1913 thru 1944, (4) Indian Heads: 1860fatty, 1864, 1880, 1897, (1) 1907 V nickel, (1) no date buff, (1) 1919 Merc!

Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow... awesome hunt! Congrats. I dream of having a day like that.

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day. You made quite a haul. Congrats on all the great coins!!!

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, and! some great finds man... :)

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!!!! Glad the guy didn't beat you to that great spot.
Super haul of coinage. I love that lead soldier.
Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
-MM-

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a super hunt. Penny trifecta, v nickel, buff. , silver. I was getting exited just reading your post, congratulations on a super hunt.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that was a great hunt! I bet the first guy will be po'ed, lol. You're on your way toward that 50 silver goal.

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt cjon! Any more info on the 1864 IHC?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt..congrats! wow what a day! I had a great day myself..not THAT good, but got the coil to the soil and dug up some gems..thanks for sharing!...ddf

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!!!! Glad the guy didn't beat you to that great spot.
Super haul of coinage. I love that lead soldier.
Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
-MM-
thanks!

yeah hes in for a shock when he goes back lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt cjon! Any more info on the 1864 IHC?

I gotta check for that L on back to see if its bronze or not, is that what you mean?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a great hunt! I bet the first guy will be po'ed, lol. You're on your way toward that 50 silver goal.
I hope so buddy, but w days like this one I kinda forget about that

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a super hunt. Penny trifecta, v nickel, buff. , silver. I was getting exited just reading your post, congratulations on a super hunt.

I couldn't believe it myself, my atpro was talking nice to me, and I was hearing it for once lol. Alotta faint tones turned into good targets, not junk like usual

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread