Elementary School Finds

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
I took advantage of the kids wanting to go to the playground for a bit today; .76 in clad, a key, two bolts (trashed the nasty rusty one), a handful of new pulltabs, a couple of pieces of twisted wire and ::drum roll please:: one manhole cover!? Apparently there is access to the drainage for the pond on the property under the sand near the swingsets.? Talk about a solid signal!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KevGA

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
About an hour. I spent another half an hour showing the neighborhood kids how the MD worked, I looked like the Pied Piper for a bit. One kid actually spotted the first quarter in the hole so I gave it to him (1970). I stuck to the soft sand around the playground equipment; lesson learned about sand: I will definately be getting a sand scoop of some sort.

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I love those playgrounds always good stuff in there especially if you take the time to put on the smallest loop you have and get in real close to equipment.

Secret Revealed -- Another great spot is in your local city or county parks with trails and Parcours trails especially. They are the ones with different exercise areas every so often as you are walking. The incline and decline sit up areas are prime. These are basically about 6x6 areas where people get on and do sit ups well the way you do them all the stuff rolls right out of your pockets. The first time I found one of these I came out with about $7 in clad and a couple pieces of low-end jewelry. For one 6x6 area, there are five of these in my area. I empty them once a month and always have new finds. I have been under there when someone has come along to use it and didnt see me. His keys slid through and I tossed them back up to him, Scared the hell out of the poor guy.

Recently found a womans diamond engagement ring under my favorite one - sold for $300 Retail $900.

Definately check them out unless you are in my area lol

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
Hey kev I bought a 3 dollar aluminum cooking pot with a handle at walmart and drilled holes in it for beach sand scoop. works like a dream until I get one on a stick to do water hunting.

Attachments

• tool5.JPG
    tool5.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 351
  • tool5.JPG
    tool5.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 269

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What else works good for the playground sand is in the cooking gadgets, it one of those strainers, looks like a screen.

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
I have found lots of change under a volley ball net. i need to get back there and try the trail. thanks for the info!

OP
OP
KevGA

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Those are both really good ideas for sand sifting. I have that "buddy belt" that came with my detector; it has a built in nylon sifter but it takes way to much effort to sift with it. I finally started using it as a carry sack for all of the garbage I find.

About that manhole cover... I had it about 40% excavated before I finally recognized the pattern on the metal. My heart was a racin' when I kept hitting metal, and more metal, and more metal... Thought I had either found a metal box or a Buick! I guess they keep it buried to keep the kids away from it on the playground.

I think I'll head back tomorrow, I only made it a couple of passes (pretty long area) so there is lots left to see! I need to try and play with my sensitivity for under the dome shaped monkey bars. I figured I would hit it good there, but the detector was so sensitive it was just screaming the whole time. That was right at the end of the day so I didn't have much time to play with it.

D

Darod

Volley Ball net! Shoot! I've worked maybe 30 of them and I haven't found even a penny yet! I't sorta freakin' me out actually! You would think people would be droping change all over the place with all that jumping and diving and stuff. Anyhow, I have'nt been able to find anything on the Volley Ball courts here in Melbourne, FL. :'(

Rod

M

mercypa

Not much change falls from your your swim suit but check both sides were the fans will sit and watch the game.I can't hunt the wet sand with my BH but the volley ball area is great.In the summer they sell icecream and soda out of coolers to the spectators.Got to love a crowd reaching in their pockets.BTW nice going.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread