Shield Nickel with a Date

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend that has connected me with some of the oldest homes in Cabarrus county did it again for me today. This home is on a major 2 lane hwy and I have been by this site many times. I have dreamed of hunting it. Notched log barns are still standing at this site. Even knocked on the door 2 years ago but got no answer. We met up at his business and I followed him to the place. Much to my surprise it was this place. My friend had not told me where it was but just the name of the house site as it was known. I used my ET with the 13" Ultimate. Soil was dark and loose in the back and hard, rocky and brown in the front. Also my ET on auto plus 3 ran higher there than ever before. 24 to 27. Mostly runs below 19 in the soil around here. Found 8 of the 10 wheats in the dark soil right after we got out the trucks. Then nothing but a few copper items around the house. No coins. Come to find out my friend knew that the great nephew of the owner had hunted it many times. So I moved out to some large trees and rotted stumps at the outskirts of the side yard and got the rest of my coins at the area around the root balls. The last coin of the day was the 1870 Shield. My first. Rang in at 11-11. The Buffalo has no date. I was told at the end of the hunt that none of the family thought I would find anything after the nephew and was happy he could rub it in the guys face. Can't find everything buddy. He was so happy that I had found this that I will get to go back soon. Also found some other relic items but pic to large to post on this site. Thanks for looking. HH JR

Attachments

• DSCF2863.JPG
    DSCF2863.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF2864.JPG
    DSCF2864.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF2866.JPG
    DSCF2866.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 7

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:--GROUND USUALLY NOT KIND TO THEM - IVE FOUND 5 AND ONLY ONE HAS DATE AND THAT IS CAUSE IT WAS SANDWHICHED BETWEEN 2 INDIANS

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, good work.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. Really nice haul. Congratulations on the shield nickel John. That's an awesome hunt.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds John! Still waiting on my first shield nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread