And this is what i get for MDing (not for the faint of heart)

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate

Attachments

• poison oak.jpg
    poison oak.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 733
Upvote 0
D

Darod

Ouch! :o

That sucks! I hope the hunt went better than your arm ended up!

Rod

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I knew you were itchin' to go now see what you did-you put your hand in places it didn't belong. LOL. Just one more accessory to pack-calamine lotion. Just be careful not to scratch w/your diggin' knife in hand. HH

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had that twice last summer. SUCKS!! I wear mechanics gloves now and have not had a prob since.

piratepete

Jan 18, 2005
That really sucks. Here in Jersey we have poison ivy, but its not around now. I never got any from MD'n, but, being a landscaper, i know how it feels. I've learned to avoid it, but there are plenty of products that you can get to get rid of it. Unfortunately, i've found that the best medication is time. NO SCRATCHING!!! lol

D

Darod

What do allergies have to do with it? :) Just messin. Allergies suck too.

Rod

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Careful you dont spread it anywhere else if you know what I mean. I saw my buddie go through hell one year, he had it everywhere. Eventuly had to go see a doc for a shot.

kenb

E

Enloe Relics

You know thats one thing i dont missssss about Texas all the poison ivy!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
We have poison oak around my parts. Poison Ivy too, but not so much. (the same thing, just slight differences in appearances). I don't have a hard time with it like some people do, but if I get it bad enough, I'll get some salt, wet it, and rub it onto the blisters. I rub it enough to work into them a little. It dries it up in a hurry.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Immune to all Poisons, except Between My Fingers. Not shure Which type gets me there. A friend of Mine Swears By Putting Clorox Bleach on it, to dry it up. Don't Think it's Recommended, However. He Even Used it on his Kids, when they were young, with no ill effects. If you try it be Forwarned, It's a Home Remidy & not Medical Fact.

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
when I was a kid about 15 we lived close to a river and that was our hang out anyway one day we were swing ing on some vines and got the stuff on our hands and ended up you know where, I didnt want to tell my mom because she would want to see what the problem was so after about three days of scratching I got the bright idea I would douse them with alcholhol ;D I was on my tiptoes running around the bathroom screaming ??? just a riminder to self dont ever do that again

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
gotta go to your nearest membership bulk warehouse(sam's club, costco etc.) and get enough calamine lotion to fill up the bathtub! ;D seriously calamine lotion and cover with ace bandage and sock with hole cut in toe for fingers! I have LOTs of experience also an OTC anti-histamine will help! 8) "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on P.C.!"

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Thats not that bad. I'm not allergic to posion ivy. I can craw around it all day and never have a problem. But there is a plant I'm thinking that is a sumac maybe I havent figured out what it is but any ways when I do get it on me its bad. When I do get it on me it does the equivilent of chemical burns, that is after it weeps for about a week. Well be glad that it is only on your arm. The time before last time when I ran into what ever it is that gets me I had it on both my legs and I was unable to walk for two days.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Been there done that. Hey guys, I used to crawl through the poison ivy and sumac and oak no apparent problem also. Then just one time, all of a sudden, wham! and I mean wham. Went through every stage of each in few years time. The worst was the poison oak. Still don't seem to suffer much from poison ivy, but the same toxin is in each plant and it's not a matter of allergic or not, it is simply an known toxic oil that tears up that skin. Right time of year and humidity and such, it'll get you. Those goose egg water blisters I got from the sumac ALL over were bad enough, but the oak, that was nasty. Be careful out there!

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
I feel for you Mighty_Mouse,
I'm allergic to poison ivy also, and this part of Texas is loaded with it. Just remember "Leaves of three, Leave it be". Poison Sumac, I believe, has more leaves.

The best medicine that I've found so far is a liquid called Ivy-Dry. You can get it at most drug stores and Wal-Mart. It is not a prescription drug but most druggists keep it behind the counter and you have to ask for it. I'm not sure why.
Hope you get well soon.
BRD

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
Hey there Mighty Mouse BRD is right. My fiancee gets poison ivy really bad and the only thing that works for her is Ivy-Dri. She said to try not to get it on your clothes because it will stain a little. 3 rules about poison ivy 1) Don't scratch 2) Don't scratch and the most important rule 3) DON'T SCRATCH. HH BRINK

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Don't let it get to other parts(below the equatior) but if you do then don't go to a public area and detect. Can see it now: swing, scratch, swing, scratch. Woman yelling=Officer there's a pervert over there by the playground.LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread