yard sale leads to colonial tavern site!!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok so I don't often post detecting finds because I don't detect often and when I do my finds usually aren't too impressive. Well this weekend I got VERY LUCKY so here is my best post in over a year:

Saturday I was driving around following signs for yard sales in my area. I turned down a winding wooded road that "just looks old". I followed a sign to the end for a yard sale. After I bought some stuff there I overheard the woman say something about a "stagecoach stop". I left and ran some errands but her comment stuck with me. So on my way home I went back and asked her about it. Turns out the next property over was for sale and had a colonial tavern on the site. Now, driving down this road you cant see anything on the property to make me think it was colonial. Either way, I managed to get permission so I raced home to get my E-trac. This is the type of site you dream about. I have researched this area and I never came across any taverns at this particular spot. The road has a name that might be a clue as does the location. When you set foot on the property it clears out and then there is a hill surrounded by grapevines and old growth. There is only a small depression and a few pieces of fieldstone to indicate that there was ever a structure here. Detected for about 3 hours. Not a single piece of modern trash was to be found, besides some shell casings. Dug an 1862 British half penny which was a nice find but strange considering these did not really circulate here that late. Also dug a large copper but was unable to attribute any detail on it at this time. Also plucked some buttons and assorted pieces. The cast lead/pewter button with the large shank was my favorite find of the day.

Sunday morning, had to help my brother move so I woke up early and flew over to the spot. Decided to take the T2 SE this time to really "clean the place out". And I did! It was like night and day using the T2 vs the E-trac. The E-trac picked up all the easy targets but the T2 sucked up a bunch of buttons that the E-trac simply missed. The most surprising find of the day was a large copper that I dug. I flipped over the plug and saw it sticking out so I snapped a pic. In my hand I could just make out that it was a New Jersey copper!!! The buttons and whatnot were a great find. The one cufflink is peculiar as it has some sort of clear glass/stone insert inside the casing.

The NJ is soaking in olive oil to help protect it as it was very brittle as soon as I attempted to clean it. The pic is a little blurry but the shield is clearly visible (I think it is a "J" reverse, will confirm later). Thanks for looking. Not a hunt I will soon forget!

Attachments

• unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed5.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 155
  • unnamed6.jpg
    unnamed6.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 160
  • unnamed3saaaaaaz7.jpg
    unnamed3saaaaaaz7.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 173
  • unnamed8.jpg
    unnamed8.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I could obviously tell from your post that you were excited about this site, and based on the finds you made I can see why. That was a great hunt, but you need to go back a few more times to really clean it out, and to find that colonial silver that's still hiding there.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you were looking for earlier coppers ,but that Vickie would have lit me up ! You have a good site there .

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site sounds and looks like one that you need to dig every target..... Congrats on your finds so far, I hope like Bill you can find that nice early silver in the dirt before you finish at that site. :)

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great OLD finds. Congrats on getting that site.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Update: Cleaned the 1862 Half Penny. Looks ok with nice detail. Will update again once the NJ is done being preserved.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3660.JPG
    IMG_3660.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 82

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds indeed. The depression in the ground could possibly be a privy with untold treasures. Take your shovel and go back. Of course, once you find an old bottle, a monster is created.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben, definitely worth posting! That 1862 half penny looks like it was dropped in 1862. Hope the NJ copper cleans up nicely also.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a great site! Make sure you get in there as much as possible before it sells! A site like that would be a great place to find a gold coin too, especially if there is a lack of pull tabs and junk!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job following up on that conversation. You found a nice group of cufflinks - the octagonal ones and the jeweled one are generally earlier than the oval ones we see.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job following up on that conversation. You found a nice group of cufflinks - the octagonal ones and the jeweled one are generally earlier than the oval ones we see.

What would the date range be on those cufflinks?

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Digs! Found me a Colonial virgin site last summer & pulled out a lot of goodies from the mid 1600's & late 1700's.

Definately hit it hard before it sells!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would the date range be on those cufflinks?

I have found that style on French & Indian War and Rev War sites. After the Rev War, the oval style cufflinks became popular. I would date yours from the 1750s into the 1780s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread