Bass2448

Jan 11, 2014
Mississippi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks ive been hunting this spot for about two months now and have been finding some purdy cool items but never thought I would have pulled this baby out of the dirt...Im purdy sure its real but I see that there are alot of fakes how can I tell for sure and how much do I need to clean it????? photo 1.JPG photo 1 (1).JPG photo 1 (3).JPG photo 2 (1).JPG photo 3 (1).JPG photo 5.JPG photo 4.JPG

Upvote 40

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I echo everybody else! No cleaning and banner, banner, banner! Sweet man. Really sweet.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Fantastic! Well done on the banner. If I'd of found that I'd be getting a really nice leather belt made up and be wearing it for sure.
One of those is right on top of my wish list, again congrats!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's awesome to see the difference of opinions. One person wouldn't even clean it and another would wear it! Lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
It is REAL, it is RARE, it is simply FANTASTIC!! I voted banner!! I wouldn't do more to it than clean it with a toothbrush and warm soapy water. I would not try to return it to a shiny state, the deep patina is gorgeous. SUPERB FIND!!!

Awesome find, but ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT WATER ON IT!! Dry clean only with soft toothbrush or toothpick.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome find!!!! Big congrats Cous!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: We did not have much but what we had sure was pretty. I would love to dig one in my life time. Congratulations it is perfect like it is.

OP
OP
Bass2448

Bass2448

Jan 11, 2014
Mississippi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BIG thanks to yall for all the comments and banner votes...The funny thing is a couple days ago I was saying that this is one thing I would probably never find and as bad I hate to be wrong I can except it this time....Thank You All...Happy Digging...

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Ah, one of the crown jewels of CW relic hunters you've got there, complete with hooks. Superb find. As for cleaning, aside from wiping a soft brush across it I wouldn't do anything. It's got a good patina going already, and I wouldn't want to mess that up, gives it character.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are eight different "Solid Cast" CS belt plates of this style in Steve Mullinax's book " Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates". Yours is definitely #131, known as the "Line in the Hooks" style because of the line you can see in the hooks. Many are found with backgrounds of flat black paint, which I think I can see traces of on your plate. It is a Rarity = 7 (out of 10) in this book, which in 1999 = between31 and 75 known. Excellent find & congrats on the banner!!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! Truly the find of a lifetime. What an amazing piece! Congrats :notworthy:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeppers, it's the REAL DEAL and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL with GREAT PATINA! It's on the top of my dig want list.

Way to go and CONGRATULATIONS :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome! That is truly an amazing find, and in such great shape, thanks for sharing.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_king: You are the king my friend! That buckle coming out of the hole would have gave me a heart attack...So great to see that there are still Holy Grail finds still in the ground! Display that find proudly. The rest of us detect for years to find something of that caliber. You da man!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
That is one sweet buckle! It is beautiful!

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT IS REAL. YOU HIT THE JACKPOT. DON'T CLEAN IT ANY MORE -THAT GREEN PATINA IS AWESOME, IMPOSSIBLE TO FAKE.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find. Everybody wants to find something that good. Wonder what else is waiting on this site for your coil to sweep over.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find love the Confederate relics, big congrats...

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
A friend and myself was going to detect near a large battlefield this last saturday but rain came our way. Really glad to see this for you....it just can't get any better!

The hooks are shaped like the one I have. The reason everyone is telling you to be careful with how you clean it is because the green patina is what collectors want. Also, These Tennessee 'Clipped Corner' buckles have a coating of black enamel paint that was applied to them when they were made. The more enamel remaining makes the buckle worth more.

Thank you for sharing it with us. Is this at a campground, skirmish area or what? Do you have any idea what regiments were in the area?

OP
OP
Bass2448

Bass2448

Jan 11, 2014
Mississippi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the above..Found it at a old homestead............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread