🥇 BANNER BIG Overstamped French Colonial Silver 1691/1696, Worn Silver, Silver Spoon ETC!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out today with the Patriot for a hunt, and it turned out pretty great! We first tried to get permission on a new area but there wasn't anyone around to get permission from - thankfully! We hit the bean field I got the spanish silver in last fall on Patriots gut feeling.
After a few hours of gridding and digging lots of odds and ends and small targets I got the small worn silver, it's about 17.5MM and has a right facing bust. A short while later I hit a solid 91 signal and dug the old pipe/valve, and than got another high 80s signal right next to it - I thought I was getting another piece of pipe, but out popped the big silver. Unfortunately the plow left a nice scratch on one side, but when I got it home and saw it was double stamped it made it better! Date of 1691 on one side, 1696 on the other. Also got a small copper coin, buttons, musketballs and lots of other junk that is still in my pouch!
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG

Upvote 38

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet jesus! I haven't been on for a couple of days. Congrats on the amazing find HuntHicks! I was wondering if I'd see overstamped French silver from this area after seeing some of those posts from that legend in Louisiana. Awesome stuff!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many posted ! Nice big 17th century French colonial silver in pretty damm good condition considering ! I Know any hunter on this side of the pond would be thrilled to find that coin ! I am going to vote to put it on the Banner ! MaineRelic

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you this, I see more gold coins found and posted up here on TN than I do these, that makes it extremely rare. Congrats Hunthicks, Banner vote in on the over striked, monster colonial silver. It doesn't get much better then that.
ZDD

I've dug quite a few early silver off old French sites and one that big would knock me over!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got my vote.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahaha no I fully admit I was not on my game that day. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't think of much but the cold lol

Thanks! We all walked close by to the three silver I've hit there last fall, but given how cold it was that day I don't think we were too interested in gridding anything off!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this site just count votes to determine if something goes on the banner? I just voted and as soon as my screen refreshed it appeared on the banner. Just wondering what the deciding factor is

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does this site just count votes to determine if something goes on the banner? I just voted and as soon as my screen refreshed it appeared on the banner. Just wondering what the deciding factor is

I think our votes put him over, CD. :laughing7: I believe mods have to put it up.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think our votes put him over, CD. :laughing7: I believe mods have to put it up.
Same thing happened to me ! For a comment with my Banner vOte . I said the French colonial finds seem to take a back seat to the British and Domestic finds ! Then it was on the Banner ! MR

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it would pop up on the top sooner or later....Congrats hicks on the banner...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very deserving banner find! It's nice to see true banners up top where they belong

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy....crap! That is amazing!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well-deserving of the banner--what a terrific find!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, that coin really deserves to be up there.
ZDD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved banner which now sets the stage for the one I've always thought about, but was beginning to believe was near impossible.... the French version of the American dollar - British Crown - Spanish 8 Reales ..... The 40mm French silver 1 ECU. A fair share of 8 Reales have been dug in our parts, never an Ecu that I'm aware of, but now I guess you can say we're halfway there.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the banner votes everyone! A nice bonus to an awesome find!!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved banner which now sets the stage for the one I've always thought about, but was beginning to believe was near impossible.... the French version of the American dollar - British Crown - Spanish 8 Reales ..... The 40mm French silver 1 ECU. A fair share of 8 Reales have been dug in our parts, never an Ecu that I'm aware of, but now I guess you can say we're halfway there.
I'll get on it next time I'm out. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread