🥇 BANNER BIG Overstamped French Colonial Silver 1691/1696, Worn Silver, Silver Spoon ETC!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out today with the Patriot for a hunt, and it turned out pretty great! We first tried to get permission on a new area but there wasn't anyone around to get permission from - thankfully! We hit the bean field I got the spanish silver in last fall on Patriots gut feeling.
After a few hours of gridding and digging lots of odds and ends and small targets I got the small worn silver, it's about 17.5MM and has a right facing bust. A short while later I hit a solid 91 signal and dug the old pipe/valve, and than got another high 80s signal right next to it - I thought I was getting another piece of pipe, but out popped the big silver. Unfortunately the plow left a nice scratch on one side, but when I got it home and saw it was double stamped it made it better! Date of 1691 on one side, 1696 on the other. Also got a small copper coin, buttons, musketballs and lots of other junk that is still in my pouch!
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG

Upvote 38

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that coin is fantastic. congrats!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Dude that's frickin awesome, congrats on a super find!

Follow the gut feeling of Patriot more often, he nailed the spot but you nailed the find! Love it!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I first thought that your mystery coin might've been a bull head Geo lll sixpence but they were 19 mm, still could be if yours is worn around the diameter as well

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's about the coolest colonial silver coin I've ever seen dug. Based on its age, size and uniqueness I'm gonna have to put in a banner vote. Awesome find!! Is that a 1/2 ecu? What is the mint mark?

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was funny, had a decision to make while I was driving and turned at the last second to the field we hit late last fall...gut instinct but never new it was for you! Haha...that coin is a killer! Honestly thought you popped out another gold coin! Hard one to get off the list but you did it yet again...well deserved buddy!

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible coin, congratulations on an amazing find, I vote banner as well!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is TOO KOOL!! What a find! Don't know much about this piece, but IP may be able to tell you when he chimes in. May have a nice dollar amount with this one.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about the coolest colonial silver coin I've ever seen dug. Based on its age, size and uniqueness I'm gonna have to put in a banner vote. Awesome find!! Is that a 1/2 ecu? What is the mint mark?
It's surely the coolest silver I've dug yet, and it is a 1/2 ecu. I can't tell about the mint mark, looks like maybe a U from the restamping, but not 100% on that. Thanks for the banner vote!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was funny, had a decision to make while I was driving and turned at the last second to the field we hit late last fall...gut instinct but never new it was for you! Haha...that coin is a killer! Honestly thought you popped out another gold coin! Hard one to get off the list but you did it yet again...well deserved buddy!
Thanks, next time out hopefully you pull a few real nice ones too!

I first thought that your mystery coin might've been a bull head Geo lll sixpence but they were 19 mm, still could be if yours is worn around the diameter as well
I was thinking that or possibly a later half reale(It hink they were 17 or 18 mm too) Either way it's a cool old silver, third from this field!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So patriot, where does your gut say I should go next!

Killer coin Hunthicks. It being an overstrike is pretty common for these, so definitely nothing unique in that sense... but for a detecting find it's plenty unique because we probably won't see another until Romeo finds one next week!

Your worn silver looks quite clearly to me as a 1770s/80s 1 Real.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like that coin enough vote BANNER as well! Scratch or not, that is a beauty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So patriot, where does your gut say I should go next!

Killer coin Hunthicks. It being an overstrike is pretty common for these, so definitely nothing unique in that sense... but for a detecting find it's plenty unique because we probably won't see another until Romeo finds one next week!

Your worn silver looks quite clearly to me as a 1770s/80s 1 Real.
Yup, I was just reading about how they had the coins returned every few years in that period and restamped. Big old silver makes me happy either way! :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I was just reading about how they had the coins returned every few years in that period and restamped. Big old silver makes me happy either way! :laughing7:

I still like the fact it's made that way whether it was common practice or not. I imagine that was a huge loss back in the day.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like the fact it's made that way whether it was common practice or not. I imagine that was a huge loss back in the day.
Patriot and I were talking about that, must be kinda like loosing your wallet today full of cash! I've been hitting this field for 5 years and finally got confirmation the french were there, always said they must of been from what I've read!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow look at that silver ..thats the stuff dreams are made of .....banner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patriot and I were talking about that, must be kinda like loosing your wallet today full of cash! I've been hitting this field for 5 years and finally got confirmation the french were there, always said they must of been from what I've read!

Yeah not sure how I'm going to beat that! Maybe with very high value instead of looks or age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread