Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: BIG Overstamped French Colonial Silver 1691/1696, Worn Silver, Silver Spoon ETC!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2009
    462 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)

BIG Overstamped French Colonial Silver 1691/1696, Worn Silver, Silver Spoon ETC!

Headed out today with the Patriot for a hunt, and it turned out pretty great! We first tried to get permission on a new area but there wasn't anyone around to get permission from - thankfully! We hit the bean field I got the spanish silver in last fall on Patriots gut feeling.
    After a few hours of gridding and digging lots of odds and ends and small targets I got the small worn silver, it's about 17.5MM and has a right facing bust. A short while later I hit a solid 91 signal and dug the old pipe/valve, and than got another high 80s signal right next to it - I thought I was getting another piece of pipe, but out popped the big silver. Unfortunately the plow left a nice scratch on one side, but when I got it home and saw it was double stamped it made it better! Date of 1691 on one side, 1696 on the other. Also got a small copper coin, buttons, musketballs and lots of other junk that is still in my pouch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2909.JPG 
Views:	731 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	990460

Name:	IMG_2908.JPG 
Views:	577 
Size:	903.0 KB 
ID:	990461

Name:	IMG_2910.JPG 
Views:	538 
Size:	545.6 KB 
ID:	990462

Name:	IMG_2912.JPG 
Views:	491 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	990463

us
    JEDI

Oct 2007
    in the stix of NY
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
    828 times
    omg, thats awesome

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    4472 times
    that coin is fantastic. congrats!
    Hunthicks likes this.

ca
    Oct 2009
    East Dirtyville
    2319 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Dude that's frickin awesome, congrats on a super find!

Follow the gut feeling of Patriot more often, he nailed the spot but you nailed the find! Love it!
    The Patriot and Hunthicks like this.
    ...if you think I'm a pain in the neck, it's lower, lower,little bit lower, too low, higher, there ya go.....

ca
    Oct 2009
    East Dirtyville
    2319 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I first thought that your mystery coin might've been a bull head Geo lll sixpence but they were 19 mm, still could be if yours is worn around the diameter as well
    Hunthicks likes this.
    ...if you think I'm a pain in the neck, it's lower, lower,little bit lower, too low, higher, there ya go.....

That's about the coolest colonial silver coin I've ever seen dug. Based on its age, size and uniqueness I'm gonna have to put in a banner vote. Awesome find!! Is that a 1/2 ecu? What is the mint mark?
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); May 06, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Hunthicks likes this.

REV WAR HUNTER

Oct 2009
    Digging Relics
    Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
    1548 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    It was funny, had a decision to make while I was driving and turned at the last second to the field we hit late last fall...gut instinct but never new it was for you! Haha...that coin is a killer! Honestly thought you popped out another gold coin! Hard one to get off the list but you did it yet again...well deserved buddy!
    Hunthicks and sliverofsilver like this.

Oct 2012
    1362 times
    What an incredible coin, congratulations on an amazing find, I vote banner as well!
    Hunthicks likes this.

That is TOO KOOL!! What a find! Don't know much about this piece, but IP may be able to tell you when he chimes in. May have a nice dollar amount with this one.
    Hunthicks likes this.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

Oct 2009
    462 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    That's about the coolest colonial silver coin I've ever seen dug. Based on its age, size and uniqueness I'm gonna have to put in a banner vote. Awesome find!! Is that a 1/2 ecu? What is the mint mark?
    It's surely the coolest silver I've dug yet, and it is a 1/2 ecu. I can't tell about the mint mark, looks like maybe a U from the restamping, but not 100% on that. Thanks for the banner vote!

Oct 2009
    462 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    It was funny, had a decision to make while I was driving and turned at the last second to the field we hit late last fall...gut instinct but never new it was for you! Haha...that coin is a killer! Honestly thought you popped out another gold coin! Hard one to get off the list but you did it yet again...well deserved buddy!
    Thanks, next time out hopefully you pull a few real nice ones too!

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I first thought that your mystery coin might've been a bull head Geo lll sixpence but they were 19 mm, still could be if yours is worn around the diameter as well
    I was thinking that or possibly a later half reale(It hink they were 17 or 18 mm too) Either way it's a cool old silver, third from this field!

So patriot, where does your gut say I should go next!

Killer coin Hunthicks. It being an overstrike is pretty common for these, so definitely nothing unique in that sense... but for a detecting find it's plenty unique because we probably won't see another until Romeo finds one next week!

Your worn silver looks quite clearly to me as a 1770s/80s 1 Real.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16727 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I really like that coin enough vote BANNER as well! Scratch or not, that is a beauty.
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; May 06, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    5935 times
    Awesome coin, awesome detail...

Oct 2009
    462 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    So patriot, where does your gut say I should go next!

Killer coin Hunthicks. It being an overstrike is pretty common for these, so definitely nothing unique in that sense... but for a detecting find it's plenty unique because we probably won't see another until Romeo finds one next week!

Your worn silver looks quite clearly to me as a 1770s/80s 1 Real.
    Yup, I was just reading about how they had the coins returned every few years in that period and restamped. Big old silver makes me happy either way!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links