Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm starting to feel guilty finding so many great things over the past month. In just the last week or so I found a 1785 half reale, 1858 seated half dime, 1820 large cent, a shield nickel, V nickel, 5 Indians, a nice silver ID bracelet, silver cross, silver religious medal and 8 other silver dimes. Today takes the cake. I got permission to hunt a private yard with about 5 acres and a house from the 1780's or so. It started out slow as it seems some of the area had been resurfaced. I go to another spot where the grass looks older. I know it sounds funny that the grass looks older, but it had more weeds and just wasn't perfect. I finally get a signal and 9" down I pull up a 1788 2 reale. I could immediately see the date and general condition was quite nice. I slow down and pull a few flat buttons and what appears to be part of a buckle. I then get another signal and about 6" down I pull a large cent. I can see by the profile that it's draped bust, but it wasn't until I got back to the car and could rinse it off did I realize it was an 1804! For those who have a Redbook, look up an 1804 large cent. They are rare. I'm starting to feel guilty about finding so much lately, but I'm going back tomorrow. I know there's more stuff there and my club had a hunt scheduled nearby in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 1804 cent & 2 reale obv.jpg View attachment 1804 cent & 2 reale rev.jpg
1804 cent date.jpg
20140506_165150.jpg 20140506_190836.jpg

Upvote 13

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's certainly no reason to feel guilty - on the contrary you should feel excited and pumped up to have found such awesome relics and coins! Enjoy it while you can- those spots are few and far between, it may be a long time until you find another spot like that.

Hopefully you are just seeing the tip of the iceberg and the find of a lifetime will show itself under your CTX from this site!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are feeling THAT guilty, I will go detect your spot for you and see if I can eliminate your sadness! Wonderful finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go, find, and post! No guilt! We celebrate together here!
WTG!!!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply awesome finds. Wow. Congrats.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good period of detecting for you right now, only if you could keep that up for the rest of the year! I know of another 1804 found in the Albany area years ago, they are hard to come by. When I first looked at your photo of it I wondered how easily you saw the date, but after blowing up the photo I could plainly see the 4, so congrats on a rare one despite condition. I spent many hours along with David Palmer trying to determine one of my large cent finds if it was a 1799 or not, after many hours of eye strain we concluded it was, but sure would have been nice is the date area where the 9 should have been would have been in better condition. :)
Don

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it will help relieve some of your guilt I'll be glad to send you my address and you can send a few of those beautiful coins my way.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Don. I was amazed when I was out in the field. When I pulled it out of the hole I could see the draped bust profile. It wasn't until I got back to the car and rinsed it off did I realize I had an 1804. When I held it up to the sun it was clear as day. I've been collecting coins since I was a kid and it's hard to get a rare date by me. On many better dates you can tell me the coin and I can tell you the mintage off the top of my head. I knew I had a good one. Shame is, after close examination I believe it was probably XF when lost. Would have jumped through the roof if it was and 1804 dime or quarter. Coin looks better than the pics. Was talking to a friend of mine on the way to the site and told him I'd really like to find an old bust silver coin. I guess I wasn't specific enough as I ended up with a bust silver, only the bust was of Carolus III. Just so I'm clear from now on, I'm going to another site on Saturday where I found a half real and earlier seated half dime last weekend and I'm hoping to find a United States bust silver coin : )

Good period of detecting for you right now, only if you could keep that up for the rest of the year! I know of another 1804 found in the Albany area years ago, they are hard to come by. When I first looked at your photo of it I wondered how easily you saw the date, but after blowing up the photo I could plainly see the 4, so congrats on a rare one despite condition. I spent many hours along with David Palmer trying to determine one of my large cent finds if it was a 1799 or not, after many hours of eye strain we concluded it was, but sure would have been nice is the date area where the 9 should have been would have been in better condition. :)
Don

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are feeling THAT guilty, I will go detect your spot for you and see if I can eliminate your sadness! Wonderful finds.

I'm always glad to help too, wouldn't want you not sleeping or anything, just give me some coordinates and I meet Don on the way up!
Good work, enjoy it, won't last forever.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the offers to help with my guilt and detect some of my spots 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread