🥇 BANNER FRENCH MILITARY MEDALLION or BUCKLE COVER ??? ......and very cool bottle !!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Made it out for the day after not getting out for 6 or 7 days.... Cousin ED came along also.

Hit the woods to find some foundations ..... found 5 all together so was happy on that part.Cousin ED was finding bottles and some nice coins/pendants...nice old Brittania 1739.

Th bottle with the Fisherman holding the big codfish is awesome...we are fishermen so of course we love it !!!

Any ideas on his PENDANT with the portrait ??? and the LION,S HEAD ??

The foundations were very trashy so I switched over to DISCRIM mode and sure enough I managed to separate out a cool find !!! .......Picked up this very interesting piece.....the tulip in the middle is the same as the one on NovaScotia 1800s pennies.

But the writing is what I assume to be French ??

Any help on some IDs on our finds would be appreciated.

Top 9 pictures are Cousin EDs.

2014-05-12 16.27.29.jpg 2014-05-12 16.28.23.jpg 2014-05-12 16.28.37.jpg 2014-05-12 16.30.27.jpg 2014-05-12 16.31.03.jpg 2014-05-12 16.31.41.jpg 2014-05-12 16.32.01.jpg 2014-05-12 16.32.36.jpg 2014-05-12 16.33.08.jpg 2014-05-12 17.29.04.jpg 2014-05-12 17.29.25.jpg 2014-05-12 17.30.24.jpg 2014-05-12 17.31.40.jpg 2014-05-12 17.32.04.jpg 2014-05-12 17.32.52.jpg 2014-05-12 17.33.25.jpg 2014-05-12 17.35.08.jpg 2014-05-12 17.35.32.jpg 2014-05-12 17.36.15.jpg

Upvote 31

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny i think ColonialDude had the same scenerio with the iron spike in the hole...

I will definitely be returning there very soon .....the site is full of trash and iron...crap load (100s)of rusted tin cans..I found this Plate by putting the F75 in high discrim 15 and lowering the power mode to DEFAULT just to get threw the trash...A big square nail came outta the hole first...and then I hit the Plate when I stood up and swung the detector again to recheck the hole ....was laying in the dirt I had dug out.

Checked one of my buttons from this winter and it is a low number 23..very surprised.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that plate is amazing!! I'd love to see something from a reference book for comparison. Hopefully IP will post something.

TY BILL D

I,m really quite speechless ......last thing I expected to find at that particular location...I feel the addiction returning !!!

IP was on it like a flea on dog.....great info by him as always.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow buddy. If what IP says is true, and I wouldn't dare doubt him, then that is an unbelievable find!

ty joeyfresh

IP posted the proof positive ID in the above link... I,m still sitting here grinning like a kid in a candy store.!!!!!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I have only seen these for 71st, and 84th, so am quite sure the plain is going to be 84th Regiment like the book. There very well might be some of the buttons there too... just make sure you're digging all signals, even the very low ones!

Digging all signals, even the very low ones!
That's very sound advice I've passed along a time or two already.... and now you see why

A very outstanding find, that ones going to me hard to beat!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Aqua! You have been finding some incredible relics!

You need to get yourself a copy of Troiani's book because you are sure finding a lot of stuff pictured in it :notworthy:

That get's my Banner vote even if it pushes me closer to the edge!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that is outstanding...I'm legitimately jealous! LOL! Great find AQUA!!

Remember that book I was telling you about, "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution"? That cartridge plate is in there!

Ty romeo-1

I remember now that you meantioned the title again....:tongue3:

Will have to get me a copy !

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ty romeo-1

I remember now that you meantioned the title again....:tongue3:

Will have to get me a copy !

You also want to get a copy of "Insignia of Independence" by Don Troiani and James Kochan. It's the best reference for Rev War buttons and plates.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Killer find and welcome to the club!! Was just about to share my post and provide the explanation on the lack of a number in the circle. As IP stated the blank version is the 84th and as I said in the post where I found mine it's because the 84th did not have a regimental number at the time and were still a loyalist unit...Royal Highland Emigrants.

Fantastic find! I'll never forget every detail about the discovery of mine. It's still my favourite find thus far...well that or my Kings 8th Neck Stock Clasp that is pictured in Troiani's book.

Congrats! You're digging the good stuff for sure!!

ty ColonialDude !!

Spooky how similar the way we found these plates. Almost exact !!!

If I hadn,t switched to DISCRIM I prolly woulda passed it up. The big square nail was giving a very jumpy signal..the place is infested with iron and junk.

Cousin ED dug a Highlands regiment button this winter on the shore quite some distance from this find.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging all signals, even the very low ones!
That's very sound advice I've passed along a time or two already.... and now you see why

A very outstanding find, that ones going to me hard to beat!

TY Ironhorse.....

Damn if I dig every signal I,ll need to hire you and buy a dozen shovels :tongue3:

That place is infested with iron/ tin cans / bottles etc etc.... told myself that I wold pick a spot this summer and clear it...but damn thats a tall order !!!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Aqua! You have been finding some incredible relics!

You need to get yourself a copy of Troiani's book because you are sure finding a lot of stuff pictured in it :notworthy:

That get's my Banner vote even if it pushes me closer to the edge!

TY for the BANNER vote !! muchly appreciated.

Will have to track down a copy of that book .

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my Banner vote in buddy and could not be happier for you! What an incredible find with unbelievable historical significance. You have pulled some amazing Rev War items and I knew a real show stopper was coming eventually. I'm SUPER psyched for you brother and love anything from that important era in our history.
BTW can you make reservations for me and you and The Scotia boys? Looks like I will be treating you and the fellas to the beers when I come up for a visit :-)
I repeat buddy I could not be happier for you. INCREDIBLE

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my Banner vote in buddy and could not be happier for you! What an incredible find with unbelievable historical significance. You have pulled some amazing Rev War items and I knew a real show stopper was coming eventually. I'm SUPER psyched for you brother and love anything from that important era in our history.
BTW can you make reservations for me and you and The Scotia boys? Looks like I will be treating you and the fellas to the beers when I come up for a visit :-)
I repeat buddy I could not be happier for you. INCREDIBLE

TY Ahab...really appreciate the BANNER vote.!!

You got your work cut out for ya now !!! and looks like I,ll prolly be a lifetime topping this one .

BTW....I love cold beer !!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TY Ahab...really appreciate the BANNER vote.!! You got your work cut out for ya now !!! and looks like I,ll prolly be a lifetime topping this one . BTW....I love cold beer !!!
I love cold beer too! And traveling :-) so no matter how this all goes down I will be smiling

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow go out for a couple hours...find nothing worth posting and you got 30 replies in that time.
Great find, honestly not that I would know, but as it has been pointed out already, GREAT FIND !
BTW this time I do think Ed gets honerable mention for the early copper with readable date...be sure to tell him that.
As far as the bottles, well I guess the one is probably for "cod liver oil" and as a kid I could hate anyone for that stuff, cool find, I'm just not a bottle guy, I think they are cool when you find them, but soon afterwards I give them away. I certainly wouldn't invest in glass, drop it once...what you got ?

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow go out for a couple hours...find nothing worth posting and you got 30 replies in that time.
Great find, honestly not that I would know, but as it has been pointed out already, GREAT FIND !
BTW this time I do think Ed gets honerable mention for the early copper with readable date...be sure to tell him that.
As far as the bottles, well I guess the one is probably for "cod liver oil" and as a kid I could hate anyone for that stuff, cool find, I'm just not a bottle guy, I think they are cool when you find them, but soon afterwards I give them away. I certainly wouldn't invest in glass, drop it once...what you got ?

ty Rick

I will tell Ed ...thought the early date on that copper made it a good 1. I don,t think I,ve had a Brittania anywhere near that early.

Almost didn,t find that plate...was on our way to go to a different place and look for permissioon....then it started raining hard ...so we decided to head towards the back woods..thought maybe we could hunt somewhere in the woods and not get as wet.

Drove by he Cartridge Plate spot ...we looked in and it loooked as tho it had a foundation on the back end in the woods...you could see the type of short bushes that usuaully grow around foundations..but it was still raining so we continued on .Stopped 1 mile down the road at a spot that had the exact same bushes growing on it...sure enough it had a foundation..we hunted that and then decided to back track to the spot we passed up.

So many things ended up deciding that I was to find that today...just never know when or where...but that is what makes us want to go hunting the next day !!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a banner find there buddy, and your cod liver oil bottle is quite nice too.
If I were you I would take a little more time off and really hammer that site.
ZDD

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Man oh Man what an AWESOME BANNER FIND that plate is :occasion14:. CONGRATS on the find and my BANNER VOTE is going in right after I post this :thumbsup:.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AQUA, that is a stunning find. That find is all you and Ed! I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in luck and skill!

You have my banner vote, brother.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one sweet find right there, and one that is always on my mind when I head out detecting. Awesome!

Bryan6059

May 31, 2012
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, looks like somebody had a productive trip out feeding the addiction :P I just recently pulled an 1886 penny out of the ground as well! As for the plate, im sure I'd have spent some time staring at it with eyes wide, asking "whaaats thaaat?" I'll be submitting my vote and get ya one step closer to that banner up there ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions