Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    oddcoins

Jun 2006
    Eugene Oregon
    Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
    121 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Trade Token ~ this bad boy is UGLY!

I found this one today after work ~ you can easily make out the GOOD FOR 5c IN TRADE, but the front is hammered! I can only make out a couple letters ~ not even enough to identify it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UglyToken.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	123229  
    Got dog tags?  I'm looking for old dog tax tags and dog license tags! From any city, any county, and any state (prefer pre-1970) ~ oddcoins@msn.com

Sep 2005
    Greenville NOrth Craolina

Re: Trade Token ~ this bad boy is UGLY!

WOW it has ssen better days but still cool

au
    Mar 2007
    Queensland, Australia
    Jackeroo, BH Landstar
    1 times

Looks like she's been hit by a lawnmower, cool find anyhoo

Still a keeper! Congrats!

Nana

Nov 2006
    Portland, OR
    Minelab Explorer SE
    2 times

Yeah, It has seen better days....But a great piece of history you recovered!

us
    Oct 2005
    Goose Creek, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

A bit worn but still a nice find, Art...

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Beats a memorial any day! Can yoy post a pic of the other side? Just curious.

us
    oddcoins

Jun 2006
    Eugene Oregon
    121 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by stoney56
    Beats a memorial any day! Can yoy post a pic of the other side? Just curious.
    Here's a picture of the front of the trade token ~ as you can see it's UGLY!! At the twelve o'clock position you can see "W.M." ~ and at about six o'clock you can see "NE". It very easily could be from Eugene Oregon (that's were I found it) ~ "NE" from EUGENE?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uglytokenfront.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	123320  
    Got dog tags?  I'm looking for old dog tax tags and dog license tags! From any city, any county, and any state (prefer pre-1970) ~ oddcoins@msn.com

Aug 2003
    178 times

The Hemphill Oregon Trade Tokens book lists:
    W. M. R. / 5 / EUGENE
    GOOD FOR / 5 / IN TRADE
    22mm Round Brass

(That's the more-or-less standard way of describing wording on a token or medal)

It says that William M. Renshaw ran a business in 1901 called W & R Liquors (probably a saloon) and in 1909 he was in the retail tobacco business. The piece is shown as rarity 5 (Rare - 6-10 known).

I see in the 1880 Census for Eugene that William Renshaw was listed as a butcher. He and his wife Ella were 29 and 22 years of age.

In the 1900 Census for Eugene he was shown as born in MO in November, 1850, and was listed as a saloon manager. He and his wife, Elnora, born in OR, had been married for 30 years. They had one daughter, Lulu, who was 21 and going to school (U of O?). Their residence was shown as 205 Walliamette Street. That is probably a bad butchering of Willamette, don't you suppose?

In the 1910 Census, William and Elnora H. were residing at 678 Oak St. and he was shown as "merchant - cigars & tobacco". Daughter Lulu had gotten married in 1909.

In the 1920 Census, W. M. and Elenora Renshaw were living at 970 Olive Street. W. M. was shown as the Secretary of the Elks Lodge (a full-time job back then), and they had several people lodging with them.

He died 26 Apr 1929 in Eugene. The 1930 Census shows that Elnora went to work for the John S. Willmote family as a housekeeper. She died on 17 Dec 1937 in Eugene.

So, even though you can only see a few letters, they and the provenance of this piece being dug in Eugene can piece together a nice history.

John in ID

us
    oddcoins

Jun 2006
    Eugene Oregon
    121 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by idahotokens
    The Hemphill Oregon Trade Tokens book lists:
    W. M. R. / 5 / EUGENE
    GOOD FOR / 5 / IN TRADE
    22mm Round Brass

(That's the more-or-less standard way of describing wording on a token or medal)

It says that William M. Renshaw ran a business in 1901 called W & R Liquors (probably a saloon) and in 1909 he was in the retail tobacco business. The piece is shown as rarity 5 (Rare - 6-10 known).

I see in the 1880 Census for Eugene that William Renshaw was listed as a butcher. He and his wife Ella were 29 and 22 years of age.

In the 1900 Census for Eugene he was shown as born in MO in November, 1850, and was listed as a saloon manager. He and his wife, Elnora, born in OR, had been married for 30 years. They had one daughter, Lulu, who was 21 and going to school (U of O?). Their residence was shown as 205 Walliamette Street. That is probably a bad butchering of Willamette, don't you suppose?

In the 1910 Census, William and Elnora H. were residing at 678 Oak St. and he was shown as "merchant - cigars & tobacco". Daughter Lulu had gotten married in 1909.

In the 1920 Census, W. M. and Elenora Renshaw were living at 970 Olive Street. W. M. was shown as the Secretary of the Elks Lodge (a full-time job back then), and they had several people lodging with them.

He died 26 Apr 1929 in Eugene. The 1930 Census shows that Elnora went to work for the John S. Willmote family as a housekeeper. She died on 17 Dec 1937 in Eugene.

So, even though you can only see a few letters, they and the provenance of this piece being dug in Eugene can piece together a nice history.

John in ID
    WOW John! THANKS for the info!! That is GREAT!!!!

One thing though . . . . . my piece is clearly aluminum, not brass . . . . . does that change anything?

THANKS AGAIN for all the info!

Neil

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1358 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Neil, that's a neat token, still a keeper (as Nana says). Interesting history about it too...Thanks John!

RR

Aug 2003
    178 times

Whoops! The book says it is aluminum - my misteak
    John in ID

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great ID John. That's what I love about tokens-they give you more of a history lesson than just finding a coin with a minting of 15 million copies.

It's a shame that aluminum tokens don't seem to fare as well after being buried for a number of years.

Congrats on a great little piece of history.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors