Last weekends Civil War finds. Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 3-17 finds cleaned.jpg
    3-17 finds cleaned.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 881
  • new_marck 15 07 finds 027.jpg
    new_marck 15 07 finds 027.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 879
  • new_marck 15 07 finds 023.jpg
    new_marck 15 07 finds 023.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 877
  • inf button.jpg
    inf button.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 877
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures of GREAT finds! Always love seeing your CW finds!

Nana :)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
MonkeyBoy said:
tsgman said:
cryptodave said:
hey tsgman, great finds!

Question, middle of the top pic, second thing up... What is it? I've found a couple of those in some campsites and never knew what it is.
You know I am not exactly sure myself! I have dug about 4 of those. I at first thought it was the sight on a rifle?But I am not sure. I will let you know if I find out.

Those are mouth harp and or accordian (sp?)parts..... much like harmonica blades.... I dug at least 50 of them out of one site!!

Ah, so a part of a jews harp. Cool, thanks for the info monkeyboy.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I knew that there is stuff all over Winchester. That place was traded back and forth the WHOLE war. WOW, those are GREAT finds. Is that your first eagle button? Also I do agree with Monkeyboy that that is a piece of a 4 piece buckle.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Tsgman, Great Finds As Always, The Mystery Item Is A Belt Keeper From An 1855 Pattern Rifleman's Belt Buckle. trk5capt...

Attachments

• Picture 069.jpg
    Picture 069.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 549
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 560
  • guy.jpg
    guy.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 1855slide2.jpg
    1855slide2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 574

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent day out Tsgman....Nice find's,learn something new everyday.Nice call guy's.....

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
cryptodave said:
MonkeyBoy said:
tsgman said:
cryptodave said:
hey tsgman, great finds!

Question, middle of the top pic, second thing up... What is it? I've found a couple of those in some campsites and never knew what it is.
You know I am not exactly sure myself! I have dug about 4 of those. I at first thought it was the sight on a rifle?But I am not sure. I will let you know if I find out.

Those are mouth harp and or accordian (sp?)parts..... much like harmonica blades.... I dug at least 50 of them out of one site!!

Ah, so a part of a jews harp. Cool, thanks for the info monkeyboy.

I have owned and played some mouth/jew's harps... newer not older... thats the right size but looks a little diff... now I'm all curious about that piece... can you image finding 50 of those at a site! thats a lot of mouth harps! Although... I do find zillions of harmonica reeds, so I guess it's possible! :P

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Dang! I love the stuff, is the final the thing that looks like it has a stopper in it?

Kinda... that entire piece is a bayonet scabbord, the finial is the little decorative button at the tip.

Attachments

• finials.jpg
    finials.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 510

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
An idea on the item that Cryptodave & Tsgman are refering to: It could be what I think was called a "speed loader clip" It held 5 or 6 30:06 shells and slipped down into the chamber of a M1 Garand WWII rifle. The rounds were then stripped out of the clip and the clip could be reused. Quite a few of these rifles made it home with the troops and were used for deer hunting.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
MonkeyBoy said:
tsgman said:
cryptodave said:
hey tsgman, great finds!

Those are mouth harp and or accordion (sp?)parts..... much like harmonica blades.... I dug at least 50 of them out of one site!!

It is a cluster of 4 or 5 old house sites... with an old school/church connected to it... and yes... they were everywhere... someone else once told me they may also be part of a organ... but that does not seem likely... but if you look at them.. and compare them to a harmonica reed yo can see they were part of some wind instrument..

..and not that you just dug the keeper and walked away.... but I would go back and dig the hell out of anything that beeps looking for the rest of the buckle... I honestly don't know of one that came out of the ground w/ all four pieces... I still have not been able to piece an entire one together...

MonkeyBoy

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverswede, if that is what you think it is , it's called a magazine charger, usually held 5 rounds and was used on bolt action rifles to charge the magazine from the top. On the M1 Garand, the charger was a true clip and was loaded right into the rifle with the ammo and was automatically ejected after the last round was fired, thus the "ping" sound after the last shot. Monty

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Monty said:
silverswede, if that is what you think it is , it's called a magazine charger, usually held 5 rounds and was used on bolt action rifles to charge the magazine from the top. On the M1 Garand, the charger was a true clip and was loaded right into the rifle with the ammo and was automatically ejected after the last round was fired, thus the "ping" sound after the last shot. Monty

Yeah... that would be the universal "I'm outta ammo ping".... thank god for the M-16's 30 round mag.... ;-)

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This item is an organ reed, or a reed from some other musical instrument of the same principle.

organreeds.gif

or.jpg
organreeds.gif

Attachments

• GemReedCellsDetail-IMG_1238-4.jpg
    GemReedCellsDetail-IMG_1238-4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 475

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Nice finds as usual. I have got to get on a spot to find some dropped bullets. I have fired bullets but have never found a dropped one. Keep up the good work!

Alan

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
Tsgman you had a great day! I love finding CW bullets and have many in my collections, but all of the .69 calibers that I have found are round balls.Thanks for sharing the photos.

Ron

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY nice display you got there. I love those old relics!
Congrats to you.
-MM-

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
This item is an organ reed, or a reed from some other musical instrument of the same principle.

PBK, thanks for the info, your researching ability is unparalleled! Gypsy isn't to shabby either! Thanks to both of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread