SIX Seated Silvers, 2 Reales, 1 Real, Military and More!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

This spring has been rough for digging due to work and uncooperative weather (rain!) when we were free. Well, we finally managed to get two days free for a couple of back-to-back hunts, and some fantastic finds were made. Now I can say for certain that we're back! :headbang:

Those of you who like to look at the photos only, you'll see the finds below. But for those who want to see the SNAKE, hear about the Feast, or enjoy the humor of the hunt, please watch this video:

Day 1 started off with a bang. I got a call from Shanegalang as I was en route to the site and he as shouting that he'd just dug a cut spanish silver! He gets to mark that one off his bucket list. When I got there, I saw that he had a quarter-cut 8 Reales in his hand!

cut silver.jpg 2R rev.jpg

I got to digging, and he started finding CW-era bullets and a late date Indian Head. Then he got a decent 1888 Seated. Finally I answered with an 1876-S Seated Dime of my own. That's actually my first S-mint coin dug in the Deep South, so I was pleased to get it. I rounded out the day with an 1864 Indian.

182_0723.JPG shanegalang 1888.jpg shanegalang IH.jpg
HPIM4548.JPG HPIM4549.JPG HPIM4550.JPG

Day 2 started off with a bang as well. I walked up on an on-edge silver sticking halfway out of the ground. When I knelt down I could see that it was a Cap and Rays 1 Real sticking out of the ground! Check these photos out!

182_0739.JPG 182_0733.JPG 182_0745.JPG

HPIM4558.JPG HPIM4559.JPG

Then Shanegalang dug beautiful condition 1840-O Seated Half Dime. Strangely enough, I dug another 1840-O Seated Half Dime about an hour later, also the "without drapery" variety, but mine was worn smooth! :D Here they are side by side:

100_5699.JPG HPIM4554.JPG

I also got a decent 1887 Seated Dime. Here are a couple photos:

HPIM4556.JPG HPIM4557.JPG

Towards the end I got a nice convex pre-CW eagle button, which is the first military of the year for us.

HPIM4560.JPG HPIM4561.JPG

Those of you who've been watching our signature line must think it's strange that we dug 27 Reales last year and this year our first two are in May. It's a combination of several things. We've only dug about 10 hunts this year so far, which averages to one hunt every other week, and many of those were scouting missions. (Last year we would've had over 30 hunts by Mid-May.) The second reason is that some key fields have crop. And finally, we got sucked into a site that had lots of new silver back in January because it was fun to dig quantity over quality just this once. :) At any rate, it feels like we're on our normal course with Reales and Military again. Looking at the combined finds from the back-to-back hunts, I was very pleased:

HPIM4553.JPG shanegalang.jpg
HPIM4563.JPG 100_5706.JPG

Shanegalang got one more really cool find at the closing bell... (forgive the pun!) :laughing9:

It's a bell-shaped silver pendant made by E. Dusse which features the Spanish American War Cruiser the U.S.S. New Orleans! I'm assuming that this manufacturer was a silversmith/metallurgist. According to my research, Ernest Dusse had a shop at 218 Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He made some mardi gras favors out of silver, like this beautiful example from 1899:

E. Dusse mardi gras favor pin 1899.jpg

Here's Shanegalang's Silver Bell. I'm not certain if this was a souvenir, or favor, or was presented to the Navy crew on the ship. Any info you can add to this story is much appreciated. In the meantime, here's a photo of Shanegalang's find, alongside a photo of the U.S.S. New Orleans taken around 1900.

100_5697.JPG U.S.S. New Orleans.jpg

Best Wishes,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhhhhhh it's good to be back in action! I have the fever again, like I'm sick! Cant wait to get back at it! Congrats on your great finds and congrats (pats self on back) on mine:laughing7:-----------Shanegalang-----------The Canefield Bandits

Glad to hear it, buddy! Let's go get more, ASAP! Dude, that bell is KILLER. Such a great piece for your collection!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a SILVER SUMMER ahead for the Canefield Bandits with some CIVIL WAR mixed in as well. I like it all but especially the eagle button. Shane's bell is really nice too. Good to talk to you yesterday & we will see you at the end of the month. HH, Q.

Great to talk to you too. Looking forward to seeing you too, that is if Hill Billy lets us come across the border into KY. :D

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Iโ€™ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, Whiteโ€™s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, Whiteโ€™s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing. Didn't look like you needed to have your detectors on some of the finds.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. Didn't look like you needed to have your detectors on some of the finds.

Exactly. That's what happens when fields are still plowed, instead of No-Till like they are in most places. There was an article in a recent issue of American Digger, written by another Louisiana hunter, about finding items washed out and laying on top. Shanegalang's son likes to go with us and eyeball the fields. He has done well, with military and civilian buttons, clay pipe stems, a Spanish Silver half real (1801), and the emerald setting from a ring. All without turning a detector on.

Cheers,

Bck

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to the Gumbo Gang on those outstanding recoveries. That's a LOT of old silver Baby! :occasion14:
I have a heel plate just like that one pictured. :thumbsup:
Sorry I can't make the wedding Will. This third retina surgery screwed me up on taking more time off of work. I was dying to finally hang out with you clowns. I wish you and Molly all the best, and gift will be on the way. Congrats.
-Doug-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to the Gumbo Gang on those outstanding recoveries. That's a LOT of old silver Baby! :occasion14:
I have a heel plate just like that one pictured. :thumbsup:
Sorry I can't make the wedding Will. This third retina surgery screwed me up on taking more time off of work. I was dying to finally hang out with you clowns. I wish you and Molly all the best, and gift will be on the way. Congrats.
-Doug-

No worries about the gift, Doug. Maybe you can "swing" some time away from work and come on down to LA for a dig with us during the winter here. (45-50 degrees). :) I'm sure you'll get the story from the TN boys about the wedding, but it will be a night to remember, especially if Dman tells that damned joke. :D I've got a special table for him at the reception. It's in the corner and it comes with a special hat that is cone shaped.

Cheers,

Buck

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...that is an amazing hunt right there !!!

I would be so excited to to be picking off them silvers !!

Big congrats !!! Love that bell also .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!!
All that Silver Has Got me Drooling.
Just AWESOME, Congratulations..
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!!
All that Silver Has Got me Drooling.
Just AWESOME, Congratulations..
Davers

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...that is an amazing hunt right there !!!

I would be so excited to to be picking off them silvers !!

Big congrats !!! Love that bell also .

I really think the bell is the find of the two day dig. Reales and Seated coins will come and go, but the odds of digging another find like that bell pendant are a million to one.

Cheers,

Buck

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, nice thread and photos, nice saves!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries about the gift, Doug. Maybe you can "swing" some time away from work and come on down to LA for a dig with us during the winter here. (45-50 degrees). :) I'm sure you'll get the story from the TN boys about the wedding, but it will be a night to remember, especially if Dman tells that damned joke. :D I've got a special table for him at the reception. It's in the corner and it comes with a special hat that is cone shaped.

Cheers,

Buck

LOL. Maybe you could put Dman in the corner sitting ON that coned shaped hat if he tells that joke again.:laughing7:
I'm sure your wedding will be one for the record books, and I rally hate to miss it. In looking over your and Molly's gift registry I was torn between the his and hers matching digging gloves, the Calvin Klein mosquito spray, the Shangalang replica cannonball w/nipple, or the photo of Quindy & Dman riding bareback on a white stallion. Tough call for sure. LOL

I would love to meet up and hunt with you guys. Maybe I can join the Tenn Trio on their next trip to Cane Country?
Congrats again Will.
-DUHg-

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like you guys are continuing off from last year...no stopping you...congrats

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I am amazed at the incredible finds you guys are making! You are very fortunate to have those kind of sites to hunt and the ability to research them out. Finding that many Seated and Spanish silver in one day is a dream for a lot of us & y'all are living the dream! Congrats to you and Shane on another excellent hunt! I hope you can keep the momentum going the rest of the season! Good Luck & Happy Hunting - David

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. Maybe you could put Dman in the corner sitting ON that coned shaped hat if he tells that joke again.:laughing7:
I'm sure your wedding will be one for the record books, and I rally hate to miss it. In looking over your and Molly's gift registry I was torn between the his and hers matching digging gloves, the Calvin Klein mosquito spray, the Shangalang replica cannonball w/nipple, or the photo of Quindy & Dman riding bareback on a white stallion. Tough call for sure. LOL

I would love to meet up and hunt with you guys. Maybe I can join the Tenn Trio on their next trip to Cane Country?
Congrats again Will.
-DUHg-

The Shangalang replica cannonball LMFAO! I spit all over my keyboard when I read that! Man, come on down here and dig anytime. When you get time off, gimme a ring.

I knew we should've put those water-cooled suits on our registry... :D

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I am amazed at the incredible finds you guys are making! You are very fortunate to have those kind of sites to hunt and the ability to research them out. Finding that many Seated and Spanish silver in one day is a dream for a lot of us & y'all are living the dream! Congrats to you and Shane on another excellent hunt! I hope you can keep the momentum going the rest of the season! Good Luck & Happy Hunting - David

I hope so too, momentum-wise. The hardest thing in any situation once you've accomplished something...is to maintain that level. Thank you for your reply, David.

I was wondering what you think of the E-Trac. I was thinking about a Minelab. My mentor in Virginia hunts with one.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread