SIX Seated Silvers, 2 Reales, 1 Real, Military and More!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

This spring has been rough for digging due to work and uncooperative weather (rain!) when we were free. Well, we finally managed to get two days free for a couple of back-to-back hunts, and some fantastic finds were made. Now I can say for certain that we're back! :headbang:

Those of you who like to look at the photos only, you'll see the finds below. But for those who want to see the SNAKE, hear about the Feast, or enjoy the humor of the hunt, please watch this video:

Day 1 started off with a bang. I got a call from Shanegalang as I was en route to the site and he as shouting that he'd just dug a cut spanish silver! He gets to mark that one off his bucket list. When I got there, I saw that he had a quarter-cut 8 Reales in his hand!

cut silver.jpg 2R rev.jpg

I got to digging, and he started finding CW-era bullets and a late date Indian Head. Then he got a decent 1888 Seated. Finally I answered with an 1876-S Seated Dime of my own. That's actually my first S-mint coin dug in the Deep South, so I was pleased to get it. I rounded out the day with an 1864 Indian.

182_0723.JPG shanegalang 1888.jpg shanegalang IH.jpg
HPIM4548.JPG HPIM4549.JPG HPIM4550.JPG

Day 2 started off with a bang as well. I walked up on an on-edge silver sticking halfway out of the ground. When I knelt down I could see that it was a Cap and Rays 1 Real sticking out of the ground! Check these photos out!

182_0739.JPG 182_0733.JPG 182_0745.JPG

HPIM4558.JPG HPIM4559.JPG

Then Shanegalang dug beautiful condition 1840-O Seated Half Dime. Strangely enough, I dug another 1840-O Seated Half Dime about an hour later, also the "without drapery" variety, but mine was worn smooth! :D Here they are side by side:

100_5699.JPG HPIM4554.JPG

I also got a decent 1887 Seated Dime. Here are a couple photos:

HPIM4556.JPG HPIM4557.JPG

Towards the end I got a nice convex pre-CW eagle button, which is the first military of the year for us.

HPIM4560.JPG HPIM4561.JPG

Those of you who've been watching our signature line must think it's strange that we dug 27 Reales last year and this year our first two are in May. It's a combination of several things. We've only dug about 10 hunts this year so far, which averages to one hunt every other week, and many of those were scouting missions. (Last year we would've had over 30 hunts by Mid-May.) The second reason is that some key fields have crop. And finally, we got sucked into a site that had lots of new silver back in January because it was fun to dig quantity over quality just this once. :) At any rate, it feels like we're on our normal course with Reales and Military again. Looking at the combined finds from the back-to-back hunts, I was very pleased:

HPIM4553.JPG shanegalang.jpg
HPIM4563.JPG 100_5706.JPG

Shanegalang got one more really cool find at the closing bell... (forgive the pun!) :laughing9:

It's a bell-shaped silver pendant made by E. Dusse which features the Spanish American War Cruiser the U.S.S. New Orleans! I'm assuming that this manufacturer was a silversmith/metallurgist. According to my research, Ernest Dusse had a shop at 218 Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He made some mardi gras favors out of silver, like this beautiful example from 1899:

E. Dusse mardi gras favor pin 1899.jpg

Here's Shanegalang's Silver Bell. I'm not certain if this was a souvenir, or favor, or was presented to the Navy crew on the ship. Any info you can add to this story is much appreciated. In the meantime, here's a photo of Shanegalang's find, alongside a photo of the U.S.S. New Orleans taken around 1900.

100_5697.JPG U.S.S. New Orleans.jpg

Best Wishes,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 35

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope so too, momentum-wise. The hardest thing in any situation once you've accomplished something...is to maintain that level. Thank you for your reply, David. I was wondering what you think of the E-Trac. I was thinking about a Minelab. My mentor in Virginia hunts with one. Cheers, Buck

I have had the Etrac for about two years now and I'm still amazed at the ability it has for finding deep silver and other coins. It hits hard on old lead as well. I feel with the right coil and settings it does well in the heavy iron, you just have to learn to slow your swing way down and listen for the high tone amongst the grunt of iron. My two biggest cons of the Etrac is the weight balance is off especially if you use the Sunray probe like I do so it can get heavy on a long hunt and the other is the display should be angled in and up more for better viewing. But those are very minor compared to the performance.

Are you using the F75?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the Etrac for about two years now and I'm still amazed at the ability it has for finding deep silver and other coins. It hits hard on old lead as well. I feel with the right coil and settings it does well in the heavy iron, you just have to learn to slow your swing way down and listen for the high tone amongst the grunt of iron. My two biggest cons of the Etrac is the weight balance is off especially if you use the Sunray probe like I do so it can get heavy on a long hunt and the other is the display should be angled in and up more for better viewing. But those are very minor compared to the performance.

Are you using the F75?

The F75 is my default machine. I've heard that the Etrac can be heavy. In general, this has kept me away from Minelab in the past. If/when I upgrade, I'm leaning towards a Deus. I just don't know enough about the machines yet--and I'm not certain that any gains in depth/target separation would be worth the price difference between that and the F75. The Fisher runs hot too, so it's always about knowing when to slow down. I do like being able to hear the iron. Those who don't hear/don't want to hear iron are the ones who walk right through 1700s sites here in the US and never happen to swing over a button. It's great to be able to hear the iron. After using the 1266-X for 20 years, I've come to rely on it, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers,

Buck

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75 is my default machine. I've heard that the Etrac can be heavy. In general, this has kept me away from Minelab in the past. If/when I upgrade, I'm leaning towards a Deus. I just don't know enough about the machines yet--and I'm not certain that any gains in depth/target separation would be worth the price difference between that and the F75. The Fisher runs hot too, so it's always about knowing when to slow down. I do like being able to hear the iron. Those who don't hear/don't want to hear iron are the ones who walk right through 1700s sites here in the US and never happen to swing over a button. It's great to be able to hear the iron. After using the 1266-X for 20 years, I've come to rely on it, and wouldn't have it any other way. Cheers, Buck

I've heard great things about the F75 and I see a lot of successful relic hunters are using them.
I have been watching YouTube videos on how well the Deus does in iron with the right settings. It seems to have a quick response between the good and bad signals and is very light. It also appears to be the machine of choice by a lot of the hunters in the UK.

But I think you're doing OK with the F75 ; )

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard great things about the F75 and I see a lot of successful relic hunters are using them.
I have been watching YouTube videos on how well the Deus does in iron with the right settings. It seems to have a quick response between the good and bad signals and is very light. It also appears to be the machine of choice by a lot of the hunters in the UK.

But I think you're doing OK with the F75 ; )

I'll stick with the F75 for now. Always trying to be aware of new technology...

Cheers,

Buck

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! CONGRATS to you and Shane!! Great Finds!! I know what you mean about the weather, having to hunt in Hip Boots!! Glad to see you guys back in the Action!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Great Finds. Always impressed with the finds you guys make. Keep at it buddy!!!

Deerhunter24

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say...those finds are incredible!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies.

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are really really nice coins. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Attaboy Buck! You finally came back, and did it in style with your usual pile of silver. Very nice hunt, and hope you guys can get back out again soon.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, that is some mighty fine digging. makes me drool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread