Is This an 18K German Cross Pendant? - Found on 925 Necklace at Yard Sale 5/17/14

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning, I found a nice necklace and pendant at a church yard sale. I saw the 925 stamp on the clasp of the necklace and a small number on the pendant so I just assumed it was also 925 sterling as well.

After going next door to my favorite family type Mexican restaurant, I took out my Gemoro loupe and saw numbers that resemble 745 and 100. Now,
I am a bit taken here. If it clearly said only 785, I would just test to see if it was indeed 18K. Yet, this German style cross pendant has two sets of numbers. One seems to be 745 or 785 and the other is clearly 100.

Here are some pictures and a high res scan of the markings. Please let me know your take.

745-100Mark.jpg cross-1.jpg cross-2.jpg

Upvote 2

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's supposed to represent a German cross (Iron Cross) or surfer's cross. I believe it is simply a Greek cross (cross with equal arms) and a piece of fashion jewelry. I think if you will turn the picture of the markings upside down, what looks like '100' reads as 'CCI', which is the trademark. It could be from 'Carat Creation Inc.' The others are hall marks.

OP
OP
K

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I thought the same thing about the 100 being CCI if turned upside down. Yet, when looking at the hallmark the likelihood they were actually 100 seemed to make more sense.

If they are indeed CCI, then the other numbers being the only purity hallmark (marking) makes sense. I only wish it was a bit clearer. I have even examined it under a better loupe I keep at home and and clearly make out the 7 as the first number. I think 5 is the last number but this is hard to tell. When I did a small acid test, something odd happened. It held at 14k and 22K but turned a milky white at 18k. Very odd but the testing solutions are about a year or so old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread