Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Had to take advantage of the low humidity we had this weekend and got out for about four hours this morning to an isolated site in the woods that I have been pulling flat buttons from. Poison ivy is coming up everywhere! For those that have read my previous posts about this site you will remember I'm working an early house site that was spread over four acres by past timbering companies. I have dug a few flat buttons, but coins have eluded me.

Well that changed today. I moved over to an area that I had dug some iron hoe heads and a decorative brass saddle plate with my F75. As soon as I stepped into the woods there lying on the surface was a piece of a white pipe bowl. I thought....this is looking good. Always assumed I must be in the barn area due to lack of buttons. Today I went in with my Goldbug Pro and started listening for the soft signals. Started digging pieces of cast iron cooking pot. Was getting a lot of iron low tones but found a repeatable good tone mixed in and dug up a coin. Gently brushing the dirt off with a toothbrush and I spotted a head facing to the right and figured it was a worn George III half penny. Stowed it away and went back to detecting. Managed to pop up a pewter flat button. I swear the metal detecting pixies mess with me because sometimes I will be looking at the face of flat buttons fresh out of the ground and I will see things that aren't there. Swear I saw a wheel on the pewter flat but later it turned out to be a nothing. Popped up a lock face, a brass leg to something (broke off long ago) a decorative sun burst style flattie and a few others.

As soon as I got home started gently washing the coin and saw the words...ONE CENT in the center above a wreath. Knew right away I had an early large cent. Don't know if I will ever get a date off the coin as it is both pocket worn and ate up from the pine trees, but it is my first very early large cent.

LCF..jpg

LCday..jpg

Upvote 4

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Ahab8 and I were just talking (texting) about an old ghost town I have been hunting here in TN. Tons of flat buttons, assorted relics, and a few CW relics from several old home sites, but I have yet to get her to give up a single coin from the period ( 1811-1870 ). I did get a 1905 Barber Dime today but it is driving me crazy knowing that there has to be a few coins around that should be early 1800's. I have dug a lot of neat stuff there over the last couple of years and cannot find a coin in the whole town....... Crazy. Congrats on an awesome piece of history my friend. I know that had to put a smile on your face.:icon_thumleft:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finally getting your LC! Nice relic finds too!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brass leg goes to an old andiron from early 1800s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread