My first find ever - Not worthy of a pic

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Well,
I finally broke out the new Ace 250! Went into the back field/yard and started swinging. Not 1 minute went by and then BEEP! I was excited! I dug with the digger that Kellyco sent. Half way through digging a hole the size of a bowling ball (told ya I was new), the digger broke! What can I expect for free. Anyway, I pulled out a small blob of melted metal. It is the ugliest non exciting blob the size of a quarter at one end and kinda looks like a chili pepper. I don't care!!! It's mine and I found it with my detector. It isn't an old coin but I will always have it because it is the very first thing that I dug out of the ground MDing. I do have a question though. It seems that I would get hits and when I went over the spot again I wold lose the signal. Also, when I tried to pinpoint the spot it would sound over a very large area. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I know that it is because I am new to this but I thought that I would ask the experienced MDers. Any help would be appreciated. We are going to our local man made beach this weekend. Sand has got to be easier to sift through than clay.

Eli

Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
congrads on finding metal !! lol.....i wish i could remember my first find..prob a nail or something.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

what maybe going on is a ghost signal,, some metals leech into the ground, giving kinda a halo effect.. this maybe what you are picking up after the target was retrived...

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you find will always have SOME value. . . you just may not realize it's true worth at this time.

OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
That makes total sense. I noticed some rust colored clay now that I think about it. I'll bet that is it!!! I knew someone could help me! TYVM! Now all I have to do is learn how to dig holes smaller than a bowling ball LOL.

Thanks!

Eli

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find...and I'm with you...You found it and it's yours..lol My wife wonders why in the world i get so excited by finding a pull tab..geeezz..i just give her the eye roll..of course where she can't see me...lol You might be getting the halo effect or maybe little splinters of it broke off and is still in the dirt..BTW..You will love the ace..HH and may all your finds be as memorable as the first.

OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Thanks SC Hunter. Everyone on here is supportive and just great. It is really uplifting to get the support.

Eli

OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
I tried to post a pic but don't know where it went? I replied, added a pic and then hit send? I will keep trying. I find it funny that I can only post one pic. Any more than that and it says that the file is too large. Newbie LOL

Eli

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I'm not sure what detector you're swinging, but when someone new at the hobby hunts with me, I usually find that they have the sensitivity or some other setting set to high. I also think it's entirely possible that gophers and moles use metal hard hats when constructing new tunnels and therefore the signals.................

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
A picture is worth 1000 words... any pics are good... Congratz on your find.. keep it up, keep swinging... more to come and welcome to TN

OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Any idea what I am doing wrong? I try to lead a pic and post and it doesn't post. Could I send it to someone and you could post it? Any help would be appreciated.

Eli

OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
SCHUNTER, I just sent some pics to you. Thanks for trying.

Eli

Attachments

• My first find3.jpg
    My first find3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 236
OP
OP
E

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Well,
I know the pic is blurry, That is not gold, it is clay. I just woud like to know how I got the pic to post. Tried to post another pic but was unsuccessful. Low battery on the laptop and the Buckeyes are losing. Better get off her for now. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the help. I think I'm hooked! Nite all.

Eli

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here goes my try elistepp....looks like a little snail..lol

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 215

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eli,

Things are looking pretty dang good...at least it was not a pull tab. As you gain experience with your Ace, you are gonna dig junque before you dig real treasure. But some of the junque finds are pretty exciting digs. We were all in your shoes once upon a time...keep up the good spirits and success will pay off. Good Luck & Happy Hunting!!

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread