Unexpected phone call leads to the recovery of spanish silver #17 for the season

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I had already hung the detector up for the season, and was about to send it in for some much needed repairs. Good thing I didn’t as this morning I received a phone call right after getting back from my 3 mile run. It was from the woman who owned the site where I found a ton of colonial artifacts a couple months ago including the gorgeous 1795 liberty cap cent, a W&M copper, 4 spanish silvers and a ton of buttons and buckles. She told me the farmer had been to the field last week and sprayed weedkiller, and now the field was huntable again. That was great news and I really appreciated the heads-up. Not often a property owner will go to that much trouble. Especially one that almost didn’t let me hunt the site at all.

During our talk she was trying to tell me about some very old pottery she’d found years ago in another section of the field, one that I had roamed a couple of times before without any luck. But before she could give me a specific location she had another call coming in and had to leave. I ended spending almost 2 hours zig-zagging all over that spot and could only come up with a small caliber musketball. I ended up going back to the other area that contained the 2 hotspots that I’ve hit very hard. I did a bit of roaming around the edges of those areas, but others who have hunted the site before seemed to have vacuumed everything outside of the iron patches, but were apparently scared off by all that iron. I was getting ready to leave for the day when I noticed that many of the thick strips of soybean stubble left from the last harvest had settled down from 6-8” thick to only about 2-3”. So I took my time slowly covering those 3 ft wide spots, especially in the irony areas. I was surprised I started getting a good signal here and there. At the first hotspot I recovered a larger roundball, a button and a couple buckle pieces. When I moved to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] area I hit a button immediately, then my next target was an unexpected surprise – a nice little cut piece of silver. I ended up with a few more buttons, and 2 other them were huge with designs. Finally called it quits after about 3.5 hours, but I was very pleased that it all worked out and I was able to close out the season (again!) on a high note.

Attachments

• 051914a.JPG
    051914a.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 051914b.JPG
    051914b.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 051914c.JPG
    051914c.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 051914d.JPG
    051914d.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 051914e.JPG
    051914e.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 051914f.JPG
    051914f.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 14

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Man - I sort of knew you would pull one out after I received your text message. I am trying my hardest to eak one more out of this spot...though some good stuff has come out - I still can't believe silver did not show

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I had already hung the detector up for the season, and was about to send it in for some much needed repairs. Good thing I didn’t as this morning I received a phone call right after getting back from my 3 mile run. It was from the woman who owned the site where I found a ton of colonial artifacts a couple months ago including the gorgeous 1795 liberty cap cent, a W&M copper, 4 spanish silvers and a ton of buttons and buckles. She told me the farmer had been to the field last week and sprayed weedkiller, and now the field was huntable again. That was great news and I really appreciated the heads-up. Not often a property owner will go to that much trouble. Especially one that almost didn’t let me hunt the site at all.

During our talk she was trying to tell me about some very old pottery she’d found years ago in another section of the field, one that I had roamed a couple of times before without any luck. But before she could give me a specific location she had another call coming in and had to leave. I ended spending almost 2 hours zig-zagging all over that spot and could only come up with a small caliber musketball. I ended up going back to the other area that contained the 2 hotspots that I’ve hit very hard. I did a bit of roaming around the edges of those areas, but others who have hunted the site before seemed to have vacuumed everything outside of the iron patches, but were apparently scared off by all that iron. I was getting ready to leave for the day when I noticed that many of the thick strips of soybean stubble left from the last harvest had settled down from 6-8” thick to only about 2-3”. So I took my time slowly covering those 3 ft wide spots, especially in the irony areas. I was surprised I started getting a good signal here and there. At the first hotspot I recovered a larger roundball, a button and a couple buckle pieces. When I moved to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] area I hit a button immediately, then my next target was an unexpected surprise – a nice little cut piece of silver. I ended up with a few more buttons, and 2 other them were huge with designs. Finally called it quits after about 3.5 hours, but I was very pleased that it all worked out and I was able to close out the season (again!) on a high note.

Wow, we just don't get that Colonial era stuff around "these parts"
Just 100 years ago the most contemporarily popular and coveted places in Southern California consisted of uninhabited sand dunes as far as a man could see.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the cut silver a nice surprise for sure.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was excited about an unidentifible worn smooth silver that might be my 3rd Spanish of the year ! Hear YEAH Hear YEAH on your confirmed 17th of the year ! May you live beyond your years ! MaineRelic

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill. Awesome finds. You're like the Energizer Bunny. Your season keeps going and going. :thumbsup:
Sweet silver,
Doug

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt that shows no place is ever hunted out!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bill D.... cur silvers are awesome. Nice to have landowners who call YOU !

I have yet to find one up here but they shoud be here !

Were they everywhere there was regular Spanish coins ?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats amazing! Spanish silver #17!!?? Heck im on regular silver 17, ur on spanish 17, yeah im a bit jealous. Wtg!!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill, I think your entire year was a high note, and it doesn't want to stop. Congrats on adding to the silver count but those buttons are really cool too, excellent finds for sure.
it is Obvious you have the charm when land owners are calling you to tell you that the land is still huntable. You have developed a great rapport with them, a very important ingredient for MDing.
I have been struggeling to get my season off to a start, just way too many things to do around the house but I am about to go pick up rick to do a local hunt and maybe get me some of that Spanish silver too.
HH,
Dave

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Bill. I know it isnt as good as last year's count but 17 colonial silvers is impressive. Congrats!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Bill D.... cur silvers are awesome. Nice to have landowners who call YOU !

I have yet to find one up here but they shoud be here !

Were they everywhere there was regular Spanish coins ?

We've had that discussion many times before on this forum, but for some reason cut silver is quite prevalent down here in Tidewater Va, and very few seem to show up in the northern areas. And the opposite seems to be true about coppers, but somehow I managed to dig quite a few of those this season which was quite unusual.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, this is a treasure site and I know Bill's 17th spanish silver of the year is fantastic. But how come no one has remarked about the coolest feat--Bill made all of these finds AFTER completing a 3 mile run! That's really the story line here.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job buddy. What a great property owner to call you! That's great and you must've left a good impression

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good story, and great silver too. This might be a dumb question, but why would your detecting season be over at this time? Seems odd to me, I am just starting my season.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice of her to call you Bill. I like the large colonial button with the design and of course the cut piece. Definitely worth your time to follow up on that call :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good story, and great silver too. This might be a dumb question, but why would your detecting season be over at this time? Seems odd to me, I am just starting my season.

I strictly hunt cultivated fields here in southeast Va, and just about everything has been planted and is off limits until the fall harvest. My season generally runs from Oct thru April, and I spend the summer on research and doing a little beach hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread