Interesting relics from combined hunts...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected about 22 hours the past two weeks and half the hours in the new area where I am moving to. Found a nice apartment right in the middle of my detecting region. The new area has been a slight let down so far, not many finds for the hours put in and nothing very old. I detected near a Celtic fortress, it is on a hilltop plain. The fields here are extremely rocky and are tough on the finds. Nearly every field I detected had grid/foot marks as if someone had detected it already, what a bummer I thought until I met a man out for a walk. He asked me what I was doing and I explained the hobby mentioning someone had beat me to the fields, he explained the tracks are from people hunting for Geodes and crystals and he has never seen anyone with a detector. I picked up a hand full of crystals and half a Geode just because they are pretty and now realize this is something else to look for while detecting. I’ll have to study up on gems and minerals. The area is near the Gem capitol of the world, a very exciting place considering the culture and history. Very beautiful, mountainous and up hill anyway you go, LOL! Here is half a Geode I found.
23Mar07geode.jpg

There are several castles in my detecting region. I can not detect them but if there is a plowed field near them then it’s OK. Some of these fields have been farmed for thousands of years.
23Mar07Frauencast.jpg

23Mar07castle.jpg

23Mar07Birkcast.jpg

The following finds were found in Bavaria. Obverse of a lead seal or a cap, not sure what it is or what the image is and there is lettering around the legend.
23Mar07lsealO.jpg

Reverse of lead piece.
23Mar07lsealR.jpg

An old FOB with an image of a person, maybe an angel. It has a very thick patina over it.
23Mar07FOB.jpg

Four thimbles and a finger ring.
23Mar07thimbles.jpg

A large aluminum swastika pin given to volunteers during WWII for various work, this one says “Tag Der Arbeit” or “Day of Work”. Date of 1935 divided by an eagle at the bottom holding a swastika in a wreath.
23Mar07swastpin.jpg

Obverse of a late seal matrix, late 1800s to early 1900s. Appears to have the initials D.R. I have mirrored the image and the seal is 17mm wide.
23Mar07sealmatrix.jpg

Reverse and stem of the seal.
23Mar07sealmatrixR.jpg

This little pewter container is interesting, 27mm tall, looks like it should open, has a hanger at the top and I’m not sure why it has a hole at the bottom. The hole may have happened in the field. It looks and is the size of a thimble. I have an idea what it is but will welcome any opinions. Also found the usual worn coppers, musket balls, buttons and lead seals. HH, Mike
23Mar07pewtcont.jpg

Upvote 0

Bammer75

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2006
Germany
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II
Hi Mike, I lived in Idar-Oberstein for over 7 years so if you want any info on Frauenburg and Kirn I have been to most of those places alot I used to repel off that bridge across from your castle, Good to hear you found an apartment. I know some places on the outskirts of Idar-Oberstein on the Baumholder training area boundries that are just full of WWII relics, because the strictly off limits to the population directly after the war the stuff has never been disturbed. the German Army on its retreat threw away all sorts of things they could not carry in the woods and they were attacked frequently by fighter bombers and the had to scatter in the woods. traveling in vehicles was next to impossible without being detected. The weather is getting better now and I still have your cell # We can get together sometime and hunt. There are alot of Roman sites near Birkenfeld.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bammer, thanks and that sounds great! I should be settled and ready to detect by Tuesday, I'll try to call you Monday. HH, Mike

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
Great finds as always.
I think I will be in the Wiesbaden area in April. This past weekend I was way south in Sonthofen (Austrian Border) and I tried to detect there, however, the foot of snow made it impossible.

This weekend I'm will try to go to an old US Army base near Erlanger, we will see what it yields.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread