Interesting relics from combined hunts...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected about 22 hours the past two weeks and half the hours in the new area where I am moving to. Found a nice apartment right in the middle of my detecting region. The new area has been a slight let down so far, not many finds for the hours put in and nothing very old. I detected near a Celtic fortress, it is on a hilltop plain. The fields here are extremely rocky and are tough on the finds. Nearly every field I detected had grid/foot marks as if someone had detected it already, what a bummer I thought until I met a man out for a walk. He asked me what I was doing and I explained the hobby mentioning someone had beat me to the fields, he explained the tracks are from people hunting for Geodes and crystals and he has never seen anyone with a detector. I picked up a hand full of crystals and half a Geode just because they are pretty and now realize this is something else to look for while detecting. I’ll have to study up on gems and minerals. The area is near the Gem capitol of the world, a very exciting place considering the culture and history. Very beautiful, mountainous and up hill anyway you go, LOL! Here is half a Geode I found.
23Mar07geode.jpg

There are several castles in my detecting region. I can not detect them but if there is a plowed field near them then it’s OK. Some of these fields have been farmed for thousands of years.
23Mar07Frauencast.jpg

23Mar07castle.jpg

23Mar07Birkcast.jpg

The following finds were found in Bavaria. Obverse of a lead seal or a cap, not sure what it is or what the image is and there is lettering around the legend.
23Mar07lsealO.jpg

Reverse of lead piece.
23Mar07lsealR.jpg

An old FOB with an image of a person, maybe an angel. It has a very thick patina over it.
23Mar07FOB.jpg

Four thimbles and a finger ring.
23Mar07thimbles.jpg

A large aluminum swastika pin given to volunteers during WWII for various work, this one says “Tag Der Arbeit” or “Day of Work”. Date of 1935 divided by an eagle at the bottom holding a swastika in a wreath.
23Mar07swastpin.jpg

Obverse of a late seal matrix, late 1800s to early 1900s. Appears to have the initials D.R. I have mirrored the image and the seal is 17mm wide.
23Mar07sealmatrix.jpg

Reverse and stem of the seal.
23Mar07sealmatrixR.jpg

This little pewter container is interesting, 27mm tall, looks like it should open, has a hanger at the top and I’m not sure why it has a hole at the bottom. The hole may have happened in the field. It looks and is the size of a thimble. I have an idea what it is but will welcome any opinions. Also found the usual worn coppers, musket balls, buttons and lead seals. HH, Mike
23Mar07pewtcont.jpg

Upvote 0

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
that is so cool ,nice finds and love the pics.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike,I love your posts.I was in Bavaria 20 years ago and was blown away how beautiful it was.Love those castles laying around.The bottom picture looks like an early crotel ball [bell] for livestock.The seal matrix looks like it might be older,like to see it clean.
Can you detect the hillsides or the bottom of the hill under the castles?
Things must have went over the sides and down the hill,maybee even a night in full armour!
That would be worth a bit ;D :o ;)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pics and scenery. That container reminds me of a pendent you would stuff with herbs to act as a perfume. Or, maybe stuffed with vinigar and other herbs to ward off the plage

HH
-GC

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT relics, Mike! Neat geode too! Those pictures are awesome. Good luck hunting all your new sites.....

Nana :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent photos and finds Mike. Are these castles empty or occuppied? How beautiful to be able to hunt with castles in the background.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mike what a great spot to hunt and thanks for sharing.

tinpan

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Nice geodes. Good luck with the new area and the recent move. Tsgman

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Man I LOVE the pics!!! I do believe that is one place I would love to see before I am looking at the bottom side of the grass.

It is so cool to see what a wide array of finds you make. As usual I love seeing when you post your finds!

~Nash~

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the nice comments! I can detect a stream at the bottom of the first castle, there was a town below the castle built in a valley along the stream destroyed by a flood in the late 1700s. The stream has been altered beyond the small valley and there are a few houses below the area where the town would have flooded into during destruction, it all lead into a river at the bottom of the hill. There are castle ruins all over Germany, some castles are homes of private residence and some have been converted into hotels, most are just ruins and a tourist attraction, to be honest, they are mirages for detectors and do not produce much, I detected a few before I found out about permits and laws. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An update, the lead cap has been IDed as a holy water container cap or an ampul cap, not sure of the date. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread