I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500s hammered coin!)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500's hammered coin!)

I have had a hectic work schedule as of late and due to that I decided that I needed a day off. My buddy Bill D. was more than willing to go digging today as I hardly take a day off work.

To set the stage - Bill and I have had a friendly competition this year to see who would dig the most colonial silver. We only counted coins that we dig while digging together and while I jumped out to an early lead, Bill quickly caught up, the score today in the 9th inning was 9 - 8 with me in the lead.

Well folks - I did a Babe Ruth and pointed to the fences (called my shot). Towards the end of the day, Bill was still hard at work looking for the tie when I said "You know there has to be a hammered coin at this tie." Followed by "good luck, I am now going to go and dig a cut coin behind you." Well it technically was not behind Bill, but it was below him on the hill as within 60 seconds I had dug the hammered 1500's cut and holed coin (never seen such a trifecta but it adds character). The coin matches up well with two other hammered Lizzies that I dug last year and it most likely the sixpence (see image for the match).

Well there were other highlights to the day (I will let Bill D fill you in). I managed a handful of buttons and lead. One particuarly cool lead piece is the remnants of a bar clipped from casting shot (see the casting spurs).

Another neat find was the 18th century candlestick - I only wish that I could have recovered more of the pieces. The pewter button and a few other odds and ends came from a very short hunt the other afternoon.

UPDATE: I forgot to include the pictures of a set of early glass cufflinks that I also found. Nice when they are intact.

1k.JPG 1l.JPG

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 251
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Upvote 23

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... who says you have to be in Europe to find hammered?! Sweet finds!!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Fine way to close out the season Dan, especially at Bills site:). It was a hard fought Battle and I have no doubt the competition will be as tough next year. Really unique find.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work there slugger. You certainly hit a home run with that one. I guess my plan backfired today as I was hoping if I could get you out one last time I could even the score, and we could go into extra innings next fall. But your solo blast in the top of the ninth made it extra tough for a last minute comeback. At least I was able to recover a sympathy coin so I didn't have to go home with my head hung low. Glad you enjoyed the milkshake - you earned it!

Last edited:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BUT...........Bill and Dan............isn't the year over at the end of December? I know you won't get to do much hunting till the fall but I don't think this competition is officially over is it?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cut hammered Dan. I'll get one one day!

Do you think that shot was cast in a two row gang mold? That's pretty cool, I've only seen singled row runners. What a great day!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic recovery Dan, were you using the ATP when you found that?
ZDD

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...Love a little bit of fun competition..adds some flavour to the hunt !!!

Gogogo Bill.D ..time to catch up !!!

Very nice coin ...damn 1500s is crazy old for this continent !!!

You guys have had a tremendous year !

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUT...........Bill and Dan............isn't the year over at the end of December? I know you won't get to do much hunting till the fall but I don't think this competition is officially over is it?

The season is indeed over...we go fall-spring, sort of like hunting season...this is the last field not planted. Bill did buy me ice cream to celebrate ha

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL...Love a little bit of fun competition..adds some flavour to the hunt !!!

Gogogo Bill.D ..time to catch up !!!

Very nice coin ...damn 1500s is crazy old for this continent !!!

You guys have had a tremendous year !

I had my chance but blew it yesterday. But there's always next season.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I have had a hectic work schedule as of late and due to that I decided that I needed a day off. My buddy Bill D. was more than willing to go digging today as I hardly take a day off work.

To set the stage - Bill and I have had a friendly competition this year to see who would dig the most colonial silver. We only counted coins that we dig while digging together and while I jumped out to an early lead, Bill quickly caught up, the score today in the 9th inning was 9 - 8 with me in the lead.

Well folks - I did a Babe Ruth and pointed to the fences (called my shot). Towards the end of the day, Bill was still hard at work looking for the tie when I said "You know there has to be a hammered coin at this tie." Followed by "good luck, I am now going to go and dig a cut coin behind you." Well it technically was not behind Bill, but it was below him on the hill as within 60 seconds I had dug the hammered 1500's cut and holed coin (never seen such a trifecta but it adds character). The coin matches up well with two other hammered Lizzies that I dug last year and it most likely the sixpence (see image for the match).

Well there were other highlights to the day (I will let Bill D fill you in). I managed a handful of buttons and lead. One particuarly cool lead piece is the remnants of a bar clipped from casting shot (see the casting spurs).

Another neat find was the 18th century candlestick - I only wish that I could have recovered more of the pieces. The pewter button and a few other odds and ends came from a very short hunt the other afternoon.

UPDATE: I forgot to include the pictures of a set of early glass cufflinks that I also found. Nice when they are intact.

View attachment 999434 View attachment 999435

HH

Dan
An hammered is always a good find :thumbsup:.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds Dan, that hammered silver is beautiful! :o :occasion14:
The colonial cuff-links and the buttons are in decent shape too!

Dave

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice guys!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess the trophy cup sets on your mantel ....till fall. Then it's on again!
Nice hunt guys!
I wouldn't know what that was if I found it! One more reason to keep all my finds!

Brudiver

May 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Dan.....Early hammered silver is an incredible find.....Enjoyed the post !!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan! Those hammered coins are awesome! 1500s! What a great site.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to beat those super early Colonial sites!

You may have a French Marines button there, but hard to tell from just seeing the front. I do see quite a few English buttons that are close so very well could be one of those.

Attachments

• fm1.jpg
    fm1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to beat those super early Colonial sites!

You may have a French Marines button there, but hard to tell from just seeing the front. I do see quite a few English buttons that are close so very well could be one of those.

Thanks - not an early french button. So many folks claim them all to be french marines when very few actually are. I know you dug the real deals not too long ago (if I am correct). I have probably dug 100+ wannabes and only about 5 of the real deals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread