I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500s hammered coin!)
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500s hammered coin!)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500's hammered coin!)

I have had a hectic work schedule as of late and due to that I decided that I needed a day off. My buddy Bill D. was more than willing to go digging today as I hardly take a day off work.

To set the stage - Bill and I have had a friendly competition this year to see who would dig the most colonial silver. We only counted coins that we dig while digging together and while I jumped out to an early lead, Bill quickly caught up, the score today in the 9th inning was 9 - 8 with me in the lead.

Well folks - I did a Babe Ruth and pointed to the fences (called my shot). Towards the end of the day, Bill was still hard at work looking for the tie when I said "You know there has to be a hammered coin at this tie." Followed by "good luck, I am now going to go and dig a cut coin behind you." Well it technically was not behind Bill, but it was below him on the hill as within 60 seconds I had dug the hammered 1500's cut and holed coin (never seen such a trifecta but it adds character). The coin matches up well with two other hammered Lizzies that I dug last year and it most likely the sixpence (see image for the match).

Well there were other highlights to the day (I will let Bill D fill you in). I managed a handful of buttons and lead. One particuarly cool lead piece is the remnants of a bar clipped from casting shot (see the casting spurs).

Another neat find was the 18th century candlestick - I only wish that I could have recovered more of the pieces. The pewter button and a few other odds and ends came from a very short hunt the other afternoon.

UPDATE: I forgot to include the pictures of a set of early glass cufflinks that I also found. Nice when they are intact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1k.JPG 
Views:	567 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	999434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1l.JPG 
Views:	478 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	999435

HH

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	999376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	926.3 KB 
ID:	999377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1d.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	924.0 KB 
ID:	999378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	984.5 KB 
ID:	999379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1f.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	965.5 KB 
ID:	999380  

Name:	1g.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	999381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1h.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	999382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1i.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	999383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1j.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	999384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	999385  

Last edited by HomeGuardDan; May 23, 2014 at 07:05 PM.

us
    Jan 2013
    SW Virginia
    Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
    190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow... who says you have to be in Europe to find hammered?! Sweet finds!!
    tinpan likes this.

Aug 2006
    564 times
    Fine way to close out the season Dan, especially at Bills site. It was a hard fought Battle and I have no doubt the competition will be as tough next year. Really unique find.

Nice work there slugger. You certainly hit a home run with that one. I guess my plan backfired today as I was hoping if I could get you out one last time I could even the score, and we could go into extra innings next fall. But your solo blast in the top of the ninth made it extra tough for a last minute comeback. At least I was able to recover a sympathy coin so I didn't have to go home with my head hung low. Glad you enjoyed the milkshake - you earned it!
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); May 23, 2014 at 06:13 PM.

us
    Jan 2014
    Newton, NC
    XP Deus
    2001 times
    Metal Detecting
    BUT...........Bill and Dan............isn't the year over at the end of December? I know you won't get to do much hunting till the fall but I don't think this competition is officially over is it?

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1387 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great cut hammered Dan. I'll get one one day!

Do you think that shot was cast in a two row gang mold? That's pretty cool, I've only seen singled row runners. What a great day!

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1368 times
    Fantastic recovery Dan, were you using the ATP when you found that?
    ZDD
    Living the dream

ca
    Fisherman

Aug 2013
    Nova Scotia
    FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
    1039 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    LOL...Love a little bit of fun competition..adds some flavour to the hunt !!!

Gogogo Bill.D ..time to catch up !!!

Very nice coin ...damn 1500s is crazy old for this continent !!!

You guys have had a tremendous year !

Quote Originally Posted by beez0404 View Post
    BUT...........Bill and Dan............isn't the year over at the end of December? I know you won't get to do much hunting till the fall but I don't think this competition is officially over is it?
    The season is indeed over...we go fall-spring, sort of like hunting season...this is the last field not planted. Bill did buy me ice cream to celebrate ha
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    14083 times
    Thanks for sharing...
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

Quote Originally Posted by AQUA View Post
    LOL...Love a little bit of fun competition..adds some flavour to the hunt !!!

Gogogo Bill.D ..time to catch up !!!

Very nice coin ...damn 1500s is crazy old for this continent !!!

You guys have had a tremendous year !
    I had my chance but blew it yesterday. But there's always next season.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuardDan View Post
    I have had a hectic work schedule as of late and due to that I decided that I needed a day off. My buddy Bill D. was more than willing to go digging today as I hardly take a day off work.

To set the stage - Bill and I have had a friendly competition this year to see who would dig the most colonial silver. We only counted coins that we dig while digging together and while I jumped out to an early lead, Bill quickly caught up, the score today in the 9th inning was 9 - 8 with me in the lead.

Well folks - I did a Babe Ruth and pointed to the fences (called my shot). Towards the end of the day, Bill was still hard at work looking for the tie when I said "You know there has to be a hammered coin at this tie." Followed by "good luck, I am now going to go and dig a cut coin behind you." Well it technically was not behind Bill, but it was below him on the hill as within 60 seconds I had dug the hammered 1500's cut and holed coin (never seen such a trifecta but it adds character). The coin matches up well with two other hammered Lizzies that I dug last year and it most likely the sixpence (see image for the match).

Well there were other highlights to the day (I will let Bill D fill you in). I managed a handful of buttons and lead. One particuarly cool lead piece is the remnants of a bar clipped from casting shot (see the casting spurs).

Another neat find was the 18th century candlestick - I only wish that I could have recovered more of the pieces. The pewter button and a few other odds and ends came from a very short hunt the other afternoon.

UPDATE: I forgot to include the pictures of a set of early glass cufflinks that I also found. Nice when they are intact.

Name:	1k.JPG 
Views:	567 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	999434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1l.JPG 
Views:	478 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	999435

HH

Dan
    An hammered is always a good find .
    Don Griffith likes this.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 5.2 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    6921 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats on your finds Dan, that hammered silver is beautiful!
    The colonial cuff-links and the buttons are in decent shape too!

Dave
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    10940 times
    Very nice guys!
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    14847 times
    Well I guess the trophy cup sets on your mantel ....till fall. Then it's on again!
    Nice hunt guys!
    I wouldn't know what that was if I found it! One more reason to keep all my finds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links