Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics of this week's colonial finds plus group shot of all to come from this site

As I've already mentioned, I thought I was done with this site a while back but with the delayed planting I was able to get back in there 3 times this week after the weeds had been sprayed. I thought I had pounded the place pretty good, but that was obviously a poor assumption. The first 2 pics below show the finds from just this week, and the last pic shows everything I had dug at this site before this week so it does not include the recent finds. Almost all of these items came from 2 or 3 heavy iron hotspots. I was telling Dan yesterday that I'd be willing to pay someone to come in and deep plow those small areas as I can guarantee plenty of additional artifacts remain masked or too deep. So Josh - please send your bobcat down this way .... bronto!! Hope everyone enjoys the long holiday weekend.

Attachments

• 052414a.JPG
    052414a.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 052414b.JPG
    052414b.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 247
Upvote 11

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Bill - it looks like you might have a few pieces of the candlestick that I dug in there...next time I pop over your way I need to bring mine and see if anything matches.

I would go halves with you on the plowing...I wonder if we could just approach the farmer.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Bill - it looks like you might have a few pieces of the candlestick that I dug in there...next time I pop over your way I need to bring mine and see if anything matches.

I would go halves with you on the plowing...I wonder if we could just approach the farmer.

You might be right about the candlestick. If I have any pieces that go to the one you dug yesterday they're yours. Don't let me forget to bring those next time we get together. As far as the farmer goes, that might be do-able if he was local, but seeing how he's from northern VA I doubt we could make it work. But its possible the owner might be willing to let me get someone else to do it as long as it doesn't violate something in her lease agreement with the farmer. That's something I'll have to broach with her next winter after the beans come out. Since those hotspot areas only represent a very small portion of that field the impact would be minimal, and I doubt it would cost us much. Definitely worth a shot though.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All it would cost you would be the rental of a bobcat for a couple days. And when you're all done you put the dirt back just how you found it and nobody would be able to tell you were there. I think the person who leases the property would be able to see the sense in that. And if you get the bobcat I'll come up and run it for you and not even hunt. I would be satisfied just seeing what is unearthed and how deep the stuff could possible be.

Brudiver

May 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here I am Bill....As promised......A "transient" from the Treasure Spot....lol. Now with the moniker "New member" I feel like a newbie geek....but I guess you have to start somewhere. Hey AWESOME finds from that site....I enjoyed reading about the competition between you and Dan. That is a GREAT site you are on.... Now see if you were closer to me I'd dig that up for ya with my backhoe....you wanna talk deeeep !!! As soon as I find some time to get out myself, I'll work on figuring out how to post on this forum.....!
P.S. Watch out for that "Silver Tree Chaser" character.....He's having a banner year himself up here.....But I'm hot on his trail !!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All it would cost you would be the rental of a bobcat for a couple days. And when you're all done you put the dirt back just how you found it and nobody would be able to tell you were there. I think the person who leases the property would be able to see the sense in that. And if you get the bobcat I'll come up and run it for you and not even hunt. I would be satisfied just seeing what is unearthed and how deep the stuff could possible be.

At house sites where there's a tremendous amount of shallow iron with artifacts mixed in I think I'd rather plow the field to mix things up instead of scraping a few inches off. I'm sure many of the good targets at this site are lying right next to or underneath little pieces of iron, and just stirring up the soil will eliminate the masking effect for many of them and make them easier to separate. Scraping with a bobcat will just push dirt into a big pile, and that's where many of the artifacts will be located. I think I'd have better luck with a deep plowing and then go back over and smooth the surface out. But I guess I really don't know which method would work best since I've never done either. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here I am Bill....As promised......A "transient" from the Treasure Spot....lol. Now with the moniker "New member" I feel like a newbie geek....but I guess you have to start somewhere. Hey AWESOME finds from that site....I enjoyed reading about the competition between you and Dan. That is a GREAT site you are on.... Now see if you were closer to me I'd dig that up for ya with my backhoe....you wanna talk deeeep !!! As soon as I find some time to get out myself, I'll work on figuring out how to post on this forum.....!
P.S. Watch out for that "Silver Tree Chaser" character.....He's having a banner year himself up here.....But I'm hot on his trail !!!

Great to have you on board Joe. Its very easy to post here and definitely quicker than on T'Spot. You should go ahead and give it a test run soon. By the way - I know Jim and we've conversed online a few times. Sounds like you guys might have a little friendly competition going on too. That always helps with the motivation (like we really need it!). Good luck and stay in touch ..... Bill

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot of targets for a spot you thought was pretty beat. Very nice !!!

Can I have your leftover sites ?????????

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that has been one productive site Bill, and that's just your finds. Crazy.
I have thought about just digging out some of my sites, just like the Archies do and sifting it all. That's a lot of work to do but may be worth it in the long run.
Good luck Bill.
ZDD

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing array of finds Bill! :occasion14:
Love all the flat buttons, the 18thc coins, the 'Dandy' buttons and the thimbles! :o From the variety of your finds
it looks like the site was occupied in the colonial period for quite a long time frame, at least 100+ years!

Dave

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how the finds add up after return trips. You really cleaned up on the buttons and coins. Did you ever find out what the little witch's hat is?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to have you on board Joe. Its very easy to post here and definitely quicker than on T'Spot. You should go ahead and give it a test run soon. By the way - I know Jim and we've conversed online a few times. Sounds like you guys might have a little friendly competition going on too. That always helps with the motivation (like we really need it!). Good luck and stay in touch ..... Bill

Bill - Glad that you could talk Joe, a.k.a. Brudiver, into posting on TNet. I'm glad to have him aboard. I have permission to sift at one or two fields that have steadily produced mid-to-late 17th Century finds over the past several years. I will give it my best next week. I'm hoping to possibly located a portion of a dwelling's stone foundation further down below the plow zone, although a trash pit or privy would certainly be preferable as well. I believe the immediate area around the foundation would offer up the greatest concentration of finds. I might go out tomorrow, but I'd also like to give an update with a post on some recent finds. Post or detect? Detect of post? It's a heck of a dilemma.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
Just wrap that box up and send it to me for Father's Day. :tongue3:
That is one productive site! I think any $ spent to plow that area would be well worth it.
Thanks again for the very informative article on how to locate old spots in this recent issue of American Digger. Very well written. You and Quindy have a real talent. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,
Just wrap that box up and send it to me for Father's Day. :tongue3:
That is one productive site! I think any $ spent to plow that area would be well worth it.
Thanks again for the very informative article on how to locate old spots in this recent issue of American Digger. Very well written. You and Quindy have a real talent. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Thanks for the kind words Doug. I'm glad you enjoyed the article and hope it helps to lead you to some great sites. Good luck!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you need to do is rig up a tractor with a comb on the back - but attach super strong (rare earth) magnets to the teeth - that would clear out some iron.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

What is the larger brass round thing at the 7 o'clock position in your last photo?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

What is the larger brass round thing at the 7 o'clock position in your last photo?

Will - if you're referring to that dark, round object to the right of the green bit boss, that's a large decorative tack. If you click on that pic 2 or 3 times to get the maximum magnification you'll be able to see more detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions