A Belt PLate...IN MY OWN YARD!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 70 percent devastated right now....because I'm 70% sure that this is a reproduction 19th century Royal Irish belt plate...

My car broke down so I was detecting the yard and got really close to the barn where it's really trashy...I cleared out a ton of iron and got a crystal tone down deep...probably at least a foot. Imagine my shock when my shovel HIT something solid and I pulled this out! As usual I grab a couple quick "fresh from the hole" dirty pics and then run to the hose. Everything looked good until I flipped it over...looks like solder on the top lug...bad sign. I did a quick Google search and could not find any other plates with three post type attachments...so I'm reasonably sure I got a reproduction...

Is someone punking me??? Perhaps someone who I've hosted in the past...hmmmmmmm

Anyway...here it is as it is...

Attachments

• photo 1(23).JPG
    photo 1(23).JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 173
  • photo 2(19).JPG
    photo 2(19).JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 4(10).JPG
    photo 4(10).JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 180
  • photo 3(14).JPG
    photo 3(14).JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 216
  • photo 5(1).JPG
    photo 5(1).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 5

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an awesome looking plate but the patina dosen't look right so I think your are correct that it's a repro. But it wasn't me. Regardless it's a keeper just for the story behind it.
I had my grandson today so we just tried looking for the old military training grounds near Kingston but no luck....yet.
zdd

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detail doesn't seem strong enough, looks like modern metal remaining from the top attachment, and can tell you it's not a precise match to the one in my book. So if there was a very high level of quality control, it' looks like it's fake. Also this is a very reproduced plate. Either way, talk about a rush seeing that in the dirt!

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a beautiful find Romeo ... repro or not! :occasion14:
The patina definitely isn't right, but it's gorgeous all the same!

Dave

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, that is one killer genuine shovel!

I'm kind of dreading our next hunt together...I don't think I want to give up this shovel! It's without a doubt the best shovel I've ever used and I don't think I could break it if I tried. I've looked for another but haven't had any luck...

I may file for legal adoption...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of dreading our next hunt together...I don't think I want to give up this shovel! It's without a doubt the best shovel I've ever used and I don't think I could break it if I tried. I've looked for another but haven't had any luck...

I may file for legal adoption...

Now I know why you've been avoiding a trip here!

I'm going to look around very soon to see if I can find them, and buy several. I had 3 or 4 at one time, and down to my last one. Don't know where the missing 1 or 2 went, but as you mentioned, I know I didn't break them. I'm kicking myself now for not having 5 or 6 in reserve, but I will if I find em again.

I'm sure by the time you make it here the courts will have stepped in and granted you full custody.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look any different than any I've looked at on the net. I vote that it is real

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is totally awesome! Congrats

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just crazy, what are the chances? Wish it was real though!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Romeo...If you want a shovel that you will NEVER break check out these ones:

Radius® Ergonomic Stainless-Steel Digging Tools - Lee Valley Tools

Stainless steel. Great blade shape. Will cut into anything. Only drawback is they are heavy but I've had the same one for 6 years...up until then I was going through different shovels yearly. The one I use is C...narrower blade.

Alternatively they now have these in carbon steel but I don't know if they are as strong!? Lighter though.

Ergonomic Carbon-Steel Digging Tools - Lee Valley Tools

I see they have a store in Halifax

Last edited:

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great find, you will also have a great story and finding it in your yard, i like

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wouldn't know one way or the other, but at a foot deep I know it wasn't burried (planted) any time recently ?

Cool in any case.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now I know why you've been avoiding a trip here!

I'm going to look around very soon to see if I can find them, and buy several. I had 3 or 4 at one time, and down to my last one. Don't know where the missing 1 or 2 went, but as you mentioned, I know I didn't break them. I'm kicking myself now for not having 5 or 6 in reserve, but I will if I find em again.

I'm sure by the time you make it here the courts will have stepped in and granted you full custody.

Those exact ones , i believe, are no longer available from Home Hardware. I do know where a very close similar shovel is sold and still selling for under $20, same heavy duty construction , highly identifiable orange handle and still made in Canada , you can't beat the quality

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it will still look nice on display & it has the good story with it. Funny how many miles you would do for one of those.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, either way, that's better than the $1.12 I've found in my yard! Now if it was authentic, that would be amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread