tokens

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine bought a house in the older part of town. I asked him if I could hunt it ;D, and he said sure. I went over today between raindrops to check it out.
The back yard was really small, and the front yard wasn't there, right up against the sidewalk. I worked the back over and found a couple wheats and some clad, and one token.
Our town has an old relic of a hotel that was build back in 1891. Many presidents have stayed there, as well as John Phillips Souza, and Harry Houdini! Anyway, in the basement of that Hotel was a bar called, Der Rathskeller. It was the first bar to open in my town after prohibition was lifted. There was also a brewery in my town opened and operated by my ansestors. Joseph William Schneider and company.

Here's what is really cool for me.

The heatshaped token is from that bar, and has my Grandfather's initials on it.
I asked my mother about it, she's 85 years old, and she said that My GGfather paid the hotel bar the token price and had a worker issue them out to the patrons when they came to the Hotel. Mom said he hoped that the people would like the beer and buy more, making him money.
So....

On the back it reads,in case you can't see it.
City Hotel
JWS and company.

On the front
Good for
5 cents
at the bar

The other token is from last week's hunt, and I'm not sure where it is from, yet.

Thanks for reading and looking.
Ken

Attachments

• tokens.jpg
    tokens.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 313
  • tokens 001.jpg
    tokens 001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is one special token! I know you will treasure that find.

:)

Congrats! Nana

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Good find. They may be worth something but if they aren't I would say they have great value to you and your family.
Good find!!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Story. I would type the story up and put it with the token in a Frame. This will make a great display for your find and will add value to it, if you ever decide to sell the token.

I am sending a picture of my wife's Great,Great Grandfather. I found the badge that is on his coat. I found it in his yard. My wife and I were going through some old pictures and I saw the badge on his jacket. I said, I think I found that badge. Sure enough, I went through some of my old things that I found detecting and found the badge.

I put it with the picture and wrote up a small article about it. I show it at all my detector talks that I give to local groups.

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Donna\'s Gtreat Great Grandfather.jpg
    Donna\'s Gtreat Great Grandfather.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 143

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread