Recent hunt yields GMI Cadet Button, ID ring, and 1838 Seated Half Dime.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Recently I've been mowing a clumpy hay field on my brigade camp and having some success. On this day the very 1st section yielded 3 great targets in a row. The GMI button, the 1st Confederate button from this camp, then the ID ring that more then likely belonged to T H Pigeons who was camped there for 5 months and then the 1838 half dime. I mowed 1 more section and finished out the day with a few odds and ends. After a year of digging this camp (CONSTANTLY) I found some of my best finds with a little extra effort. :thumbsup: HH

4-18 GMI.jpg 4-18 ring.jpg 4-18 seated.jpg 4-18.jpg fresh.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, to find a personalized item from someone you know who was there is just incredible! very jealous of that find. very good job!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, that ring is awesome! That's a banner find in my opinion. Can you give a little more background on the soldier it belonged to?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible piece! Especially if you have a story with it. Live to hear more. Great great stuff

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. Of course this is just a guess sense we're only dealing with initials.
He enlisted at New York city, to serve 3 years, and mustered in as a private, Co F, September 1861, promoted corporal July 1862. He re-enlisted as a a veteran March 1864 and deserted the same day.

Holy cow, that ring is awesome! That's a banner find in my opinion. Can you give a little more background on the soldier it belonged to?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next month I will be heading Garrett County, family vacation, and will be hitting a virgin field and cellar holes, very excited to maybe possibly find good stuff like that!

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RIGHT ON! Happy hunting bro!

Next month I will be heading Garrett County, family vacation, and will be hitting a virgin field and cellar holes, very excited to maybe possibly find good stuff like that!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring is incredible! Great Half Dime as well. Congrats & Continued success to you!

-- Jeff --

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ID ring is the find and should be the headline lead ! A banner worthy find ! We need pics of the back and a banner shot alone of the front ! MaineRelic

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful ring. Great history behind it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ID ring is a banner find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great that you did the research on the field and the finds. Knowing the history and being able to trace a specific recovered item is…. Priceless !
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
( 2nd post attempt) The back is pretty uneventful. It appears to be stamped & soldier filled. I'm guessing they were mass produced and engraved when sold. If that's the case it seems I would of seen 1 before. Has anyone else seen 1 made like this before?
ID ring back.jpg ID ring.jpg

The ID ring is the find and should be the headline lead ! A banner worthy find ! We need pics of the back and a banner shot alone of the front ! MaineRelic

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The ring is a really cool find... a half dime aint bad either. Nice haul. GL&HH.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one Nice Ring ,Even if the back is broken. You have a pristine front with clear engraving.
The GMI is awesome as well , I live only 10min from the GMI Site & I have never dug one.
The H-Dime is a cool find as well , it may not be worth 100's$ but in the context it was found in would likely make it an item lost when the camp was in use & IMO that makes it more of a Special find.
But as was said the RING is a Banner.
I have seen some similar but my memory won't let me recall exact details , def a priceless find.
Congratulations
Davers

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Davers , I'm super stoked about all of them especially finding them back to back to back. I was really stoked about the GMI button, but it hasn't got near the attention as the ring. It's the only confederate button I've dug on this site out of hundreds of buttons. I figured it to be pretty rare sense they were only in operation 10 years before the War and Sherman's army burnt it down in 1864.
That's one Nice Ring ,Even if the back is broken. You have a pristine front with clear engraving.
The GMI is awesome as well , I live only 10min from the GMI Site & I have never dug one.
The H-Dime is a cool find as well , it may not be worth 100's$ but in the context it was found in would likely make it an item lost when the camp was in use & IMO that makes it more of a Special find.
But as was said the RING is a Banner.
I have seen some similar but my memory won't let me recall exact details , def a priceless find.
Congratulations
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread