Worn/tarnished Milled Bust Spanish Silver

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this two days ago. I previously found 2 Barber dimes on the same site, so when I dug this I thought it was a third one. Upon rinsing it with water and examining it at home I realized it was noticeably smaller than a Barber. I could also see some detail not present on a Barber. Long story short, I could make out the top of one pillar and the bottom corner of a crown. An online search proved it to be a "milled bust" type Spanish coin.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I'd like some advice. I know, and have used, most of the methods for cleaning silver. However, in general, I rarely use anything but water. But in this case, as you can see, it's very worn and heavily tarnished. A bit disappointing considering this is the first one I've found and it was a long time coming. I can't help but wonder if there could possibly be at least a little more detail hiding under the tarnish. At this point it's basically a small black disc, so I don't think I could do much damage to it.

So does anyone have any advice? Should I try one of the cleaning methods? Leave it alone? If I'm going to have a flat disc anyway should I at least try to have a silver one instead of black? Maybe someone could take one look and know from experience that there's no helping it in this case. Thanks

asyne2a9.jpg
u9atehu7.jpg

The deeper the berry the older the juice.

Upvote 2

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I use the tin foil, boiling water and baking soda method for my silvers. If it were mine, I'd do it.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks larger than 1/2 reale in pic , must be the way your holding it , Awesome find , I second the hot water,foil , backing soda method

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, you are probably going to get many different recommendations which won't make your decision any easier. The problem I have with foil and baking soda is that the coin can look artificially cleaned when done. Salt would be to abrasive, and electolysis can etch the surface. I recommend soaking it in lemon juice for 15 minutes then rubbing lightly between your fingers under running water. You can repeat this several times until you get the desired results. I have made the mistake of overcleaning some of my finds and regretted it later. Always start out with the least agressive cleaning method then work your way up as needed. Good luck, can't wait to see some more details on that.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record salt is NOT too abrasive. It is impossible to scratch something with something else that is softer, Silver has a hardness of 2.5-3, salt has a hardness of 2.

Furthermore in this case we're talking about a coin that is barely recognizable, and quite, well ugly with dirt, it would be hard to make it worse. We're talking about a ground dug very low grade, not a MS65 with delicate "frosty" luster which can be altered / damaged easily. You wouldn't rub a high "mint state" coin with anything, but cleaning precautions for those has absolutely nothing to do with what is posted here.

Originally posted "it's basically a small black disc, so I don't think I could do much damage to it."
I agree, nothing to loose, and it can only get better than it is.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record salt is NOT too abrasive. It is impossible to scratch something with something else that is softer, Silver has a hardness of 2.5-3, salt has a hardness of 2.

Furthermore in this case we're talking about a coin that is barely recognizable, and quite, well ugly with dirt, it would be hard to make it worse. We're talking about a ground dug very low grade, not a MS65 with delicate "frosty" luster which can be altered / damaged easily. You wouldn't rub a high "mint state" coin with anything, but cleaning precautions for those has absolutely nothing to do with what is posted here.

Originally posted "it's basically a small black disc, so I don't think I could do much damage to it."
I agree, nothing to loose, and it can only get better than it is.

I agree, go for it, nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread