Cool Space Medallion

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
My brother and I have been m'ding the yard and coming up with a fair few coins (post when I've cleaned them all) and we found this today.
I said to him lets go and detect over by the front wall and as he turned to follow me he got a huge hit on the detector.
This baby was buried about 4" down and has a diameter of 1 1/2". At first I thought it was my first predecimal penny (I live in oz) but then realised it was way too big.
Absolutely the best thing that's come outta my yard so far. ;D

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• P4240009.JPG
    P4240009.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 354
  • P4240012.JPG
    P4240012.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi y mate, Nice find ,Congrats.Most Americans dont know how much influence they had on Australia.First recorded event was the Eureka stockade 1854 and then noteable Writters like Mark Twain hanging around the Aussie's planning the demise of british rule lol The british had not been gone 10 years and guess who sent the big navy fleet ever seen in 1908.Man the fleet was huge not sure why.Showing off or planing an invasion. ;D ;D ;D

tin

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
tinpan said:
The british had not been gone 10 years and guess who sent the biggest navy fleet ever seen in 1908? Man, the fleet was huge not sure why.Showing off or planing an invasion. ;D ;D ;D

tin

Invasion Tin. We're still planning but things keep coming up..............WW1, WW2, Korea, Nam, & now Iraq. Dont get too comfortable, we want yer roos & beautiful women! ;D :D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
AP, what a wonderful way of words you have. :D ROFL
However if not mistaken, there's a sign on the bridge of Sydney Harbor that says: "Don't Moleste The Roos." :P

Attachments

• sydney-harbor-australia.jpg
    sydney-harbor-australia.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 243

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
stoney56 said:
AP, what a wonderful way of words you have. :D ROFL
However if not mistaken, there's a sign on the bridge of Sydney Harbor that says: "Don't Moleste The Roos." :P

Now Stoney, you do whatever you want with your share of the roos, Im slappin mine on the barbie! Im also donating my beautiful Aussie women to Jeff of Pa..............he seems so very lonely & LQ is lookin over my shoulder! ;D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Strange interaction here! Looked like 2 posts were running together????

Nice medallion you got there! I think that the "M/R" stands for Mercury Redstone . A Mercury class capsule on a Redstone rocket, the earliest of the manned missions.

...........HH

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Yarrum said:
My brother and I have been m'ding the yard and coming up with a fair few coins (post when I've cleaned them all) and we found this today.
I said to him lets go and detect over by the front wall and as he turned to follow me he got a huge hit on the detector.
This baby was buried about 4" down and has a diameter of 1 1/2". At first I thought it was my first predecimal penny (I live in oz) but then realised it was way too big.
Absolutely the best thing that's come outta my yard so far. ;D

Thanks for looking

The following is a quote for 1961-5-5g on this page:
http://libweb.princeton.edu/libraries/firestone/rbsc/aids/newman/newman3.html

"Circular: 1 17/32" (40mm) in diameter. Nickel silver.
Same medal issued in antiquated bronze at $1.50, Golden Bronze at $1.25 and .999 pure silver at $12.50."

I checked eBay for an Alan Shepard medallion, but they seem to be very collectable and nobody has sold one in a few months, or it would have shown up in the completed listings. They do show lots of pictures, postage stamps, post cards and pins, but no medallions. I don't know if thats the estimated value on from that webpage above, or if its the price it sold for back in 1961. If it was put up for sale on eBay, who knows how high it would go.

F.

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
MEinWV said:
Nice medallion you got there! I think that the "M/R" stands for Mercury Redstone . A Mercury class capsule on a Redstone rocket, the earliest of the manned missions.

Thanks I did'nt know that.

Functional said:
The following is a quote for 1961-5-5g on this page:
http://libweb.princeton.edu/libraries/firestone/rbsc/aids/newman/newman3.html

"Circular: 1 17/32" (40mm) in diameter. Nickel silver.
Same medal issued in antiquated bronze at $1.50, Golden Bronze at $1.25 and .999 pure silver at $12.50."

I checked eBay for an Alan Shepard medallion, but they seem to be very collectable and nobody has sold one in a few months, or it would have shown up in the completed listings. They do show lots of pictures, postage stamps, post cards and pins, but no medallions. I don't know if thats the estimated value on from that webpage above, or if its the price it sold for back in 1961. If it was put up for sale on eBay, who knows how high it would go.

F.

That's a great help, thanks very much. Always good to know some background info on yer finds. ;D
Thanks for everyone's comments

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread